2014-2015 UConn Fast Break Redux | The Boneyard

2014-2015 UConn Fast Break Redux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched the '04 Championship game on youtube last night. Talk about a great fast break team. Most of the time Okafor and Boone were the first guys down the floor. I would love to have a great running team again this year and I think we've got the skill, speed and athleticism to pull it off.

Reaction Score
We rarely lose when scoring 75 more. We should be the most well conditioned team in the country and have great depth. I really hope we run as much as possible.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The fast break starts with rebounding (although we've had teams that were very quick to score after an opponent's made basket) so the question is who's getting the ball and dumping it out to start the break. If Boat is a leading rebounder, it will be tough to start the break.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Okafor was incredible at outlet passing. Really helped when he grabbed 12 rebounds a game and Doron Sheffer'd them off to a guard at midcourt.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Travis and Jake were great at starting the break.

@donyell34 I believe Boat is top returning rebounder. I agree that can't be if we are going to rely on the fast break.

Reaction Score
Boat is the leading returning rebounder, but Facey and Brimah's per minute numbers were solid (Brimah's are a bit skewed by a slow start, he was around 10 per 40 from mid-December on - with his shoulder hopefully healed, I look for him to take a big step forward in that department). We're going to need to out-rebound teams at the 3-5, since the outlet passes are obviously cut-off if Boat, Purvis, and Samuel are forced to crash the glass.

I know "we're going to run more this year" is right up there with various players gaining 20 pounds of muscle on the list of offseason lore, but damn, if there was ever a team that was built to run, this one is it. Purvis and Boatright are as electrifying with the ball in the open court as any two players in the country. Samuel's obviously shown a penchant for pushing the tempo as well. And most importantly, we finally have enough depth in the backcourt - for the first time in what seems like forever - to justify a breakneck style of play. Last year, 'Bazz was frequently in energy conservation mode during the first half because he knew he was playing 37-38 minutes. Between Boat, Purvis, Samuel, Cassell, D-Ham, and Omar, we should be able to limit everybody to 32-35 minutes a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom