2014-15 | The Boneyard

2014-15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
During this lull week, let me inaugurate the first "who will start next year?" thread! :)

I think the 3 returning starters + Kiah are a sure bet.

Tuck has a lot of recovery and think she will be brought back slowly.
Chong or Banks is possible, though neither has blown the roof off this year. But Chong is a frosh and Banks might still not be 100%, so things could change over the summer.

And then there's 4 very talented frosh coming in - Ekmark, Nurse, Williams, and Edwards. Williams was injured this year, right? I would think that lessens the chance she starts out of the box. For some reason, perhaps inaccurately so, I think of Ekmark as more of a small forward. And while KML can be a 2, with the speed of UConn's lineup, I would think Geno would want another guard who could help get the ball up court the way Bria does. That would lean towards Edwards or Nurse.

Though Banks or Chong are possible as well.

We often argue over 1 player or another starting, but it's usually confined to 2-3 players. Seems like a lot of mystery over that 5th spot -- with 6 players having a shot at starting!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Are you working on the premise that A'ja Wilson will not be a Husky?

I think the answer depends to some degree on how that works out, not because Wilson will start if she attends (I think that is very unlikely), but because it would not do to have another freshman (Nurse) starting if she is not. I think her presence would nearly guarantee that Brianna Banks is the starting 2 guard. Honestly, I think that is the probability in any case, because she certainly has the thorough familiarity with the offense that none of the freshmen will have. Over the season, Banks may become somewhat like Caroline -- starting and playing for a few minutes, and then being replaced by Nurse. Possibly she will go to the bench by the end of the year, or (equally likely) she will show that she has earned the job and will be the regular 25-minute player at the off-guard position.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
PG- Moriah Jefferson
SG- Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis
SF- Morgan Tuck
PF- Breanna Stewart
C- Kiah Stokes
Bench- the four freshmen plus Briana Banks and Saniya Chong

That's going to be a nasty team.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Alex, I don't see Kaleena as a two, much more a three
And I think to count on starting Tuck is debatable.

I would not be surprised to see one of the frosh, whether Nurse or Ekmark starting
They will come in more prepared than any players in recent Husky history.

Reaction Score
Are you working on the premise that A'ja Wilson will not be a Husky?

I'm not expecting Wilson to come, but even if she did, I think the starting spot that is open is for a guard. And also that's where UConn's depth will be.

While KML's primary role is as a 3, it seems more likely she'd occasionally slide over to the 4 than the 2, just because of the composition of the team. Without Aja, there will 7 players besides KML who could be guard/wing, and 3 players who could be front line.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
msf - preparation is one thing and I think you are correct Nurse because of her international experience and Ekmark because of her unique approach to her last year of 'HS'. But preparation and knowledge are two very different things and it is a rare freshman that picks up the nuances of Uconn's system quickly. Geno has started freshman out of necessity but if either Chong or Banks or both have a good summer and come back with confidence, I think they start. And Geno is not going to want to play KML at the off guard - she can do it, but she becomes a liability against good quick guards on defense.
As for Morgan and or A'ja - I think they both come off the bench. It is good to have height available off the bench and if the starters were Kiah, Breanna, and Morgan (and A'ja doesn't come) then you have only wing players on the bench.

Reaction Score
I think we're going back to a 4 guard set. U cant start Kiah because that means u have no sub if Stewie needs a breather or is in foul trouble. It'll look a lot like when Maya was with us...put $on on it. Plus Tuck will be recovering still, u need at least one big to sub. Just sayin'...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Stokes will definitely start. KML can move to the 4 if Morgan isn't ready to go at the start of the season. As for the shooting guard spot, I think it'll be Nurse. She'll be experienced beyond her years with the international competition. She can handle the ball, defend and score. The depth at the guard spot will allow Geno to use a lot of defensive pressure. Next year's team will be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I think Kia Nurse starts from day one along with Stewie, KML, Stokes, and Jefferson. She has a lot of experience and can pick up the scoring lost by the departure of Hartley.

Reaction Score
I think Kia Nurse starts from day one along with Stewie, KML, Stokes, and Jefferson. She has a lot of experience and can pick up the scoring lost by the departure of Hartley.
Agree. She starts for the Canadian national team. Probably, after Moriah, will be the 2nd best guard on the team from day 1.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In terms of starters, Kaleena and Kiah, as seniors, and Stewie and Moriah, as juniors. If healthy, Morgan could be a starter, but I think she comes back gradually. When healthy, with experience, Morgan is an AA player. I see a number of options for the 5th starter, depending on size or ball-handling needs. Who do I want to be the 5th starter? A'ja Wilson, of course. :)

I think that Brianna Banks feels the sense of urgency that seniors do and comes back strong and earns a starting slot. Or maybe she takes the Ketia Swanier role of coming in to push the pace.

If A'ja comes, we have a front line of supreme shot blockers and rebounders. And 2 of them can score from anywhere. If we get her, I think Stewie's last 2 years are undefeated. This may be a little bit like EDD. If she had come, we could have run off 120 in a row. A'ja has the same potential. Here's a goal for her--top Maya Moore's record of 150-4. To get there, she'll need Stewie on her side.

I see there are other people on the Kia Nurse bandwagon. I have a sense that, if she had played in the U.S., she'd be ranked slightly below Asia Durr, but equal to or above all the other guards out there. She will have played against better competition on her national team than even Maya and Stewie had at a comparable age. And they came in very ready. Geno will feel as if he has to get her PT.

If/when healthy, Gabby will impress and remind people of Nykesha, Maya, Kalana, and Tiff. I expect her to be brought along slowly and be a bit rusty. I really hope she can return to 100%, because she truly has a gift.

I think Sadie's game will be similar to Caroline's pre-injury, which is to say that she will contribute and could even start.

Courtney's preparation in unusual. Her father is a coach, plus she's an A+ student, so I expect a high hoops IQ. She'll come in unusually ready.

Saniya will make the sophomore leap and look as she did in her better moments this season.

Odds are that someone will struggle with injuries, learn slowly, or be in the doghouse from time to time. But I think this group will be as ready as can be.

Reaction Score
We don't need Wilson. Geno is going to have a hard enough time getting these players some time.

51 TO GO

JoePgh

Reaction Score
We don't need Wilson. Geno is going to have a hard enough time getting these players some time.

51 TO GO
Honestly, it will be a dilemma if she comes, unless Morgan is physically unable to play to her potential. If Morgan is anywhere near 100%, then somebody in the front court is not going to get enough playing time next year.

After Stewie and Morgan graduate, it would help to have someone else who can take up the reins, but I'm not sure it's worth keeping people on the bench for two years just to avoid that problem.

Reaction Score
In terms of starters, Kaleena and Kiah, as seniors, and Stewie and Moriah, as juniors. If healthy, Morgan could be a starter, but I think she comes back gradually. When healthy, with experience, Morgan is an AA player. I see a number of options for the 5th starter, depending on size or ball-handling needs. Who do I want to be the 5th starter? A'ja Wilson, of course. :)

I think that Brianna Banks feels the sense of urgency that seniors do and comes back strong and earns a starting slot. Or maybe she takes the Ketia Swanier role of coming in to push the pace.

If A'ja comes, we have a front line of supreme shot blockers and rebounders. And 2 of them can score from anywhere. If we get her, I think Stewie's last 2 years are undefeated. This may be a little bit like EDD. If she had come, we could have run off 120 in a row. A'ja has the same potential. Here's a goal for her--top Maya Moore's record of 150-4. To get there, she'll need Stewie on her side.

I see there are other people on the Kia Nurse bandwagon. I have a sense that, if she had played in the U.S., she'd be ranked slightly below Asia Durr, but equal to or above all the other guards out there. She will have played against better competition on her national team than even Maya and Stewie had at a comparable age. And they came in very ready. Geno will feel as if he has to get her PT.

If/when healthy, Gabby will impress and remind people of Nykesha, Maya, Kalana, and Tiff. I expect her to be brought along slowly and be a bit rusty. I really hope she can return to 100%, because she truly has a gift.

I think Sadie's game will be similar to Caroline's pre-injury, which is to say that she will contribute and could even start.

Courtney's preparation in unusual. Her father is a coach, plus she's an A+ student, so I expect a high hoops IQ. She'll come in unusually ready.

Saniya will make the sophomore leap and look as she did in her better moments this season.

Odds are that someone will struggle with injuries, learn slowly, or be in the doghouse from time to time. But I think this group will be as ready as can be.

MILFORD:
Hi Old Man.....and thanks for the boost for my wife on an earlier thread. Don't agree with ALL you have to say on this post, but enjoyed it all for sure, and I am one of the ones who does agree with your statement on Wilson....I think she does have shot at starting, though I'm not predicting that. You are right on target about YKW and undefeated.......perhaps Wilson will have such lofty goals.

Reaction Score
What a bunch of non-sense. Are you guys saying Geno won't find a way to use a future super star like A'ja? And some of you continue to take it for granted that Morgan will be back and play at the level she could have been.

Reaction Score
If A'ja wants a legacy, let it be that she and Stewie were the greatest duo in the history of women's basketball. A'ja and Stewie can be like Michael, and Scottie were for Chicago. Playing 2 years with Stewie, Moriah, 3 years with Morgan, Chong, and the 4 guards A'ja might never lose a game in college, that's a legacy.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score

So basically everyone will be perfect?

Reaction Score
What a bunch of non-sense. Are you guys saying Geno won't find a way to use a future super star like A'ja? And some of you continue to take it for granted that Morgan will be back and play at the level she could have been.
I didn't know A'ja had signed with Uconn......

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Let's try this again...

While I'm waiting for the Big Dance to get underway, I was daydreaming about next year.

My dream for next year (apart from no freakin' injuries) is that Kaleena institutes a Stef-like and Moriah-like summer regimen, comes in fitter, healthier and better than ever... a legit NPOY candidate. She is entirely capable of this.

Similarly for Kiah... She has taken a significant step up this year due to the thin bench/increased playing time. If she develops into any kind of a consistent offensive threat from the mid-range in, it will be HUGE for the team and she will reap individual honors on a regular basis. Release the beast within!

Morgan... HEALTH!! I wish her a complete season unencumbered by health issues. We have only seen a tantalizing hint of what she can be.

Stewie and Moriah... continued improvement is indicated. No ceiling in sight. I think this will be Moriah's team. She has the personality and desire to lead. This is a less natural trait for seniors KML, Brianna and Kiah.

"We have Stewie and you don't." Period.

Assuming a healthy Morgan, those are our best players, but they may not be the starting 5. Who will start? My wild @55 guess is that Morgan will come off the bench and that Kiah will start at center at least initially. Kiah starting gives Stewie the most freedom to be 'TBS', but this scenario is really in Kiah's hands. I think she can do it. Kaleena and Stewie join her in the post. What an impressive front line!

There will be spirited competition for guard minutes among Saniya, Brianna, Sadie, Courtney, Kia, and Gabby. Saniya appears to be favored by Geno right now over Brianna, but I remember a few pre-injury games where BB looked absolutely great. I'm not counting her out of the potential starter role at all.

The bench... Kia and Courtney in particular strike me as early contributors and maybe more. Sadie and Gabby are capable of scrapping for minutes also. The bench may go back to being more of a strength than a concern.

Coaches... bring in a couple more quality post players please. I have asked so little of you over the years.
:rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So basically everyone will be perfect?
Nah, there will be downsides, as there are every year. It's hard to say what they will be. Maybe Morgan and Gabby struggle to get to 100%. Maybe A'ja doesn't come. Maybe Edwards takes a year or more to learn. Maybe Ekmark is not as quick as she needs to be. Maybe Stewie decides to play baseball. :)

All 4 frosh are in someone's top 10. I think they come in ready, but Geno will test them as they have never been tested before.

I think Kaleena will be healthy. I think it's reasonable to believe that she will improve, as will Kiah, Moriah, and Brianna. I look for Stewie to get stronger. Geno will push her to improve, though she's pretty damn good now.

Reaction Score
Nah, there will be downsides, as there are every year. It's hard to say what they will be. Maybe Morgan and Gabby struggle to get to 100%. Maybe A'ja doesn't come. Maybe Edwards takes a year or more to learn. Maybe Ekmark is not as quick as she needs to be. Maybe Stewie decides to play baseball. :)

All 4 frosh are in someone's top 10. I think they come in ready, but Geno will test them as they have never been tested before.

I think Kaleena will be healthy. I think it's reasonable to believe that she will improve, as will Kiah, Moriah, and Brianna. I look for Stewie to get stronger. Geno will push her to improve, though she's pretty damn good now.
I like you. I like you a lot.

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree with you. She could make the difference in another championship run.

JoePgh

Reaction Score
None of us knows what Morgan's post-injury physical capabilities will be. That probably includes her doctors, her trainers, and herself. She could be Sue Bird or Kalana Greene, whom no one would ever suspect of having had past knee issues, or she could be Caroline Doty or Brittany Hunter --shadows of their former selves. If it turns out to be the latter, and if A'ja decides to attend (another thing that no one knows, possibly including herself), then Kiah / Stewie / A'ja make up an outstanding threesome to fill two front court positions. If Morgan is basically herself and A'ja does not attend, then the same is true of Kiah / Stewie / Morgan.

All I am saying is that if Morgan is healthy and A'ja attends, then the "foursome" of Kiah / Stewie / Morgan / A'ja to fill two front-court positions is uncomfortable, and leaves one or more of them with less playing time than they should have to fulfill their potential. You might say, "Then let three of them play together at the 3, 4, and 5 slots". But then you have two natural 3's (KML and Courtney) and a cruise ship full of guards (Moriah, Brianna, Saniya, KNurse, Gabby, and Sadie) to fill just two backcourt positions. That is not a manageable situation, even if Gabby takes a redshirt status in her first year as her father sensibly would prefer.

Ah, you say, but what if we roll snake-eyes: A'ja goes elsewhere and Morgan can't really play? That is definitely suboptimal, and might mean a 4-guard lineup for much of 2014-15 and all of 2015-16. In that case, we might not go undefeated and would have a few single-digit games (perish the thought), but National Championships in both years are still realistic, albeit with some excitement along the way. Is it worth recruiting more bodies just to avoid that scenario? Is that really fair to all of the players involved?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I expect Banks to come back strong next year. I feel this year was a bit like Hartley's Jr year, physically she just never got quite right. I think she'll get back to her pre injury Soph self. As a Senior, could well be that 5th starter. Although not sure how she pushes the pace faster than Jefferson. ;)

Everyone, save maybe Jefferson are slightly to a lot below Durr. Nurse could be a good one though. And I would expect her to get some playing time next year.

That would be awesome if she could approach any of them.

I kind of see Edwards more like Hartley, which would be great. Not sure that she'll reach those heights.

Ekmark seems like a cross between Strother and KML. Which bodes very well for UCONN.

I think she will work hard like Jefferson did in the off-season. Hopefully it pays off. Probably not to the extent Jefferson's did, but enough to get her some good playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom