2014-15 Schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2014-15 Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looking at UNH's schedule (http://unhwildcats.com/sports/mice/2014-15/schedule), they have home-and-home same weekend series with seven teams, and then play four for two games at the same site (Merrimack, Providence, Notre Dame, Vermont.) Notably, Maine is home-and-home same weekend. I don't know if every team will play the exact same format, just with different teams (in which case they couldn't all have Notre Dame and Vermont) or how it will work, but we'll see.

Reaction Score
They're not getting charters anywhere. Not even the high-powered programs charter, much less to fly 300 miles.
Right. You'd have to do it if you were doing home-home in the same weekend. But I think you're right that either Vermont or Maine would be a different weekend home-home. My guess is Maine and ND will be the 2 games at the same site for UConn. Vermont will be the alternate weekends. Maybe with UMass-Amherst as a sort of informal travel partner.

Reaction Score
Asked a few of my friends, we're all pretty sure the plan is two games same weekend with UVM/Maine/ND for everyone, and you alternate each year having two more home games or away games. The rationale being there's no feasible way to do it for ND, since that would require an extra plane trip for them to play one game (if they split one home one away each season with a team), so if ND has to have uneven home/away conference games, everyone should. Not the worst setup.

Reaction Score
Asked a few of my friends, we're all pretty sure the plan is two games same weekend with UVM/Maine/ND for everyone, and you alternate each year having two more home games or away games. The rationale being there's no feasible way to do it for ND, since that would require an extra plane trip for them to play one game (if they split one home one away each season with a team), so if ND has to have uneven home/away conference games, everyone should. Not the worst setup.
Except that UNH does not have uneven home/away conference games. They have 11 of each. Not to mention what you said would imply an equal number of home-away games. Plus, UNH plays Maine home-and-home on the same weekend. The only teams they don't play home and home are ND, Vermont, Providence, and Merrimack. Perhaps everyone plays ND and Vermont two at the same site, plus two others that way? I don't know. And then Notre Dame and Vermont play each other home-and-home but not on the same weekend, and everyone else only at one site? Since nobody other than UNH has released their schedule yet, it's hard to know for sure, but it is clear that there is an equal number of home/away games.

Reaction Score
Except that UNH does not have uneven home/away conference games. They have 11 of each. Not to mention what you said would imply an equal number of home-away games. Plus, UNH plays Maine home-and-home on the same weekend. The only teams they don't play home and home are ND, Vermont, Providence, and Merrimack. Perhaps everyone plays ND and Vermont two at the same site, plus two others that way? I don't know. And then Notre Dame and Vermont play each other home-and-home but not on the same weekend, and everyone else only at one site? Since nobody other than UNH has released their schedule yet, it's hard to know for sure, but it is clear that there is an equal number of home/away games.
UNH is the only team that plays Maine home and home same weekend, mostly because they usually end up playing a neutral site game somewhere in Portland or Manchester, and it's more drivable. But since they're playing four this year (two are considered OOC) I don't know which are considered home/away in conference. But that would account for UNH's even schedule. The thing is, there's no good way to do it. But they will not sacrifice home-and-homes each season when it's possible to do it, to answer your question about two at same site alternating years with non-UVM/Maine/ND schools.

In all of the years prior to ND joining, HE didn't have an even home/away game total either. There were 10 teams, you played three against everyone (2 home, one away or vice versa) for 27 total games, so you'd have five 2H1A series and four 1H2A each year (14H13A), and then switch the next to 13H14A.

Reaction Score
UNH is the only team that plays Maine home and home same weekend, mostly because they usually end up playing a neutral site game somewhere in Portland or Manchester, and it's more drivable. But since they're playing four this year (two are considered OOC) I don't know which are considered home/away in conference. But that would account for UNH's even schedule. The thing is, there's no good way to do it. But they will not sacrifice home-and-homes each season when it's possible to do it, to answer your question about two at same site alternating years with non-UVM/Maine/ND schools.

In all of the years prior to ND joining, HE didn't have an even home/away game total either. There were 10 teams, you played three against everyone (2 home, one away or vice versa) for 27 total games, so you'd have five 2H1A series and four 1H2A each year (14H13A), and then switch the next to 13H14A.
The home-and-home is considered the conference games. And of course they didn't have an even number when there were an odd number of conference games. With an even number of conference games, I suspect they will do it. In fact, they might even be required to do it, or be off by one if you have an odd number.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see us schedule some B1G teams as non-conference games. Games against OSU, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, PSU would be good draws for both of us. We can hit the mid-west B1G teams on our trip to South Bend for HE games.
I'm a little surprised that we haven't scheduled Penn State again. I thought there would probably be a trip there after they came to Storrs two years ago. It would be a pretty nice matchup, I think of two programs trying to move up in the world or college hockey.

Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised that we haven't scheduled Penn State again. I thought there would probably be a trip there after they came to Storrs two years ago. It would be a pretty nice matchup, I think of two programs trying to move up in the world or college hockey.

I'm fairly certain we do owe them a trip. With a number of games unaccounted for at this point, though, it might be premature to say we haven't.

Reaction Score
The home-and-home is considered the conference games. And of course they didn't have an even number when there were an odd number of conference games. With an even number of conference games, I suspect they will do it. In fact, they might even be required to do it, or be off by one if you have an odd number.
The thing is, short of making someone fly to ND for one game AND make ND fly to New England for one game with someone, there cannot be even numbers of home and away for everybody. That would bootstrap both ND and that other team into only playing one game that whole weekend. While that happens early in the year, most coaches like to use those one-game weekends for OOC games against easier teams, and not have it involve lengthy travel.

Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain we do owe them a trip. With a number of games unaccounted for at this point, though, it might be premature to say we haven't.
The only reason a return trip might not be part of any deal was that Penn State was an independent the season they came to UConn. Its possible they agreed to a 1 way deal just to schedule the game. Even if they did, though, I wouldn't mind seeing them become a regular/semi-regular opponent.

Reaction Score
The thing is, short of making someone fly to ND for one game AND make ND fly to New England for one game with someone, there cannot be even numbers of home and away for everybody. That would bootstrap both ND and that other team into only playing one game that whole weekend. While that happens early in the year, most coaches like to use those one-game weekends for OOC games against easier teams, and not have it involve lengthy travel.
Then they can play an OOC game that weekend as well. Whoever has to travel to Notre Dame can play a midwestern school, and Notre Dame can play a non-conference opponent in the northeast.

Reaction Score
Then they can play an OOC game that weekend as well. Whoever has to travel to Notre Dame can play a midwestern school, and Notre Dame can play a non-conference opponent in the northeast.
None of this is feasible, and would only further the single-game problems. ND is within driving distance of very few schools, so they'd also have to have a date open on that weekend. In sum, it ain't happening. They'll likely alternate each year more home/away game.

Reaction Score

You might want to check out how most of the midwestern schools do their conference schedules. There is very little home and home in the same weekend.

Reaction Score
And Colorado College confirmed at home January 6. Don't know what "home" means, though given the time of year I would guess Storrs. And RPI at UConn on November 18 per RPI schedule. Don't know if that was posted.

Reaction Score
And Colorado College confirmed at home January 6. Don't know what "home" means, though given the time of year I would guess Storrs. And RPI at UConn on November 18 per RPI schedule. Don't know if that was posted.

I would imagine UConn would play a game at Colorado College the following season. As it is just one game, I would think UConn might also try to play Air Force on the same trip. Air Force comes out east a few times a season as part of Atlantic Hockey, so Air Force could arrange a game at UConn as part of the trip when they play one the New England Hockey East teams. Denver is also not too far from Colorado Springs, so that would be another possibility for a UConn series.

Reaction Score
We might well end up playing Colorado College some time in the future, but this game just seems to have been the result of CC's eastern trip. They are here to play Providence on January 3 and 4, so this looks like a one off to fit an extra game in on the trip.

Reaction Score
Still, Maine is playing home-and-home against at least one team, which means that either Notre Dame is playing home-and-home against at least one team or someone else isn't playing home-and-home against anyone. It could be Vermont, I suppose. That's more plausible than Providence or Merrimack, who are the only teams other than Vermont and Notre Dame not known to be playing at least one home-and-home.

Reaction Score
Per today's paper, the season opens at Penn State for a pair. Then the NJ tournament, though I can't tell if it is really a tourney or more of a showcase with pre-scheduled games. One place I saw it listed as the two Ivies and the 2 HEA teams playing on day 1, then UConn-Yale on Day 2. Also UConn is playing a few games at Bridgeport, including the Colorado College game. I can't seem to find the link.

Reaction Score
They're putting CC in Bridgeport? Seriously? That's horrible.
Not official yet, but that's what I read. Actually, the game going to Bridgeport all sounded pretty darned good. CC, then Lowell or Union and I think there was another pretty good one. I was surprised, and I don't think its a great idea to have multiple "homes," I mean I get the torunament being there. It is a Tournament after all, but I think there are going to be 4 games total. Though maybe they'll all get moved if the XL goes and chinces on locker rooms as is now being reported.

Reaction Score
Don't be surprised with what is happening at the XL Center with the locker room issue if after new barn is built on campus that XL is frozen out. We will either play on campus or in Bridgeport

Reaction Score
Don't be surprised with what is happening at the XL Center with the locker room issue if after new barn is built on campus that XL is frozen out. We will either play on campus or in Bridgeport

It would be fantastic for the program if a new arena was built in Storrs and all games were played there.

Reaction Score
ND is the other @ WBA

@ChipMalafronte: UConn hockey to play 5 games in Bridgeport this winter: Frozen Classic (2) Quinnipiac, Colorado College & Notre Dame http://post original url/qUV7RxpHPq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom