2014-15 preseason jitters: opening night eve | The Boneyard

2014-15 preseason jitters: opening night eve

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Hey folks, the UC-Davis game is tomorrow night! The unveiling of every season feels like unwrapping a gift for the holidays. Every UConn WBB season is a gift. Geno has bestowed upon us nine of the most special gifts in his 29 years, and I imagine you can name the nine seasons corresponding thereto. Meanwhile, 2004-05 may have been coal in our stockings...but then again, 25 wins, a league tournament championship, and a trip to the Sweet 16, may have been enough to make some WBB fanbases gasp with childlike wonder.

This winning streak may be a different sort of gift. We'll have to unwrap it slowly to see what's in the box. 46 in a row would have been enough for us already. 91 in a row? That's the kind of gift over which parents fight to obtain at Toys R Us...

Anyway, enough with the gift analogies. Rather, perhaps I'd like to send a message to each of the 12 gifted young women who are about to begin giving us this memorable season.

Stewie- the 2013 national semifinals was your time, and you made the most of it. In 2013-14, you were supposed to be better, and you were. This year, you're supposed to be the undisputed best WCBB player in the country, and you will be. You have a chance to do something the GREAT Chamique Holdsclaw couldn't do, what the equally great Diana Taurasi might have been able to do but for the mishap in the second half of the 2001 national semis. You can be just as great yourself, but you'll also be unprecedented. What are you gonna do???

KML- we all adore you. You were so strong and fierce in your first two years, and it hurt me to see you a bit impaired last year. But you're a warrior (even with mono), a sharpshooting fool, a player who may just set the record for three-pointers made in a collegiate career. Just how will they fit the name Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis on the Huskies of Honor rectangular plaque? I don't know the answer, but I'll be happy to to see it up there.

Kiah- I already said you earned the starting post role on this special team rather than having it by default. You could vie for all-defense recognition and more and go out the champion you already are. Not bad for a kid from Iowa, huh?

MoJeff- last season, you captured everyone's hearts and minds. You were the most highly rated PG prospect in well over a decade coming out of high school, and you're delivering. You'll be everything you're hyped to be. Now is the time to become who everyone already knows you are.

Saniya- A tough freshman season for you becomes a starting gig as a sophomore. You don't have to be the next Bria Hartley. No one is rooting for that; we're just rooting for YOU.

Morgan- here's to your health! I know you had your injuries in high school, and you had a new one last season. Of course, that injury gave you another season of eligibility. Hell, you could have played for five national championship teams when all is said and done. Take that, Stewie!

Courtney/Kia/Gabby/Sadie- good heavens, that's a lot of talent in one recruiting class! Speaking of gifts, you could be a gift to Geno by giving him the gift of depth. Imagine if Geno had four freshman he trusted; what a luxury that would be! There's no pressure on you four. Just plug away, work hard, learn hard, and eat as much of those 200 minutes a game as helps this team win. Four years of you gals is something to savor. Three years with the next recruiting class coming when 2015 rolls around, and two with the already-promising 2016 class (not to mention two with Mo and Stewie)? Now that's a promising legacy y'all can forge.

And finally, Lawlor and Pulido- You earned a spot on this team, and you may earn more playing time thereon. I don't look forward to the two of you making baskets in garbage time to the delight of home crowds; I look forward to two of our players hitting a basket in the middle of game like it's just two (or three) more points...to the typical smattering of tepid applause. That's what happens when you simply belong.

2014-15 is upon us! Geno was inspired by John Wooden, and now he may win as many NCs as Wooden did.

Now, that would be a fitting conclusion for this team, otherwise known as the gift that keeps on giving.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks, Alex, for whetting everyone's appetite. I, for one, want to see Morgan pass Stewie and Moriah with 5. That would be a record for the ages. :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky said:
Thanks, Alex, for whetting everyone's appetite. I, for one, want to see Morgan pass Stewie and Moriah with 5. That would be a record for the ages. :)
Precisely- it'd be an unbreakable record!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom