2013 Big East Tournament | The Boneyard

2013 Big East Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
What I want to know is, would UConn be banned from this if they're banned from the NCAAs? I think they would be.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the acc didn't take this yet?

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I doubt it. I would think the Big East, not the NCAA, has the authority to decide who goes to the Big East tournament.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
usc(football) got a postseason ban from the ncaa. they couldn't play in the pac12 ship game this year.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I doubt it. I would think the Big East, not the NCAA, has the authority to decide who goes to the Big East tournament.

Which is what makes this so interesting.

There's no reason to have UConn there if they're banned from the NCAAs. None. It looks bad, it can lead to an akward situation, etc.

Will the Big East take the economic hit?

Reaction Score

There's no reason to have UConn there if they're banned from the NCAAs. None. It looks bad, it can lead to an akward situation, etc.

It was a long time ago, but the year NC State went undefeated with David Thompson and were on probation, the year before they beat UCLA in the semis and went on to win the championship, they did play in and win the ACC tourney.

UConn is banned from the NCAA. The Big East can, I believe, allow UConn to play in the Garden, and just have a rule on who gets the automatic bid if UConn wins, or ban it. I don't think it's an NCAA decision.

Reaction Score
What I want to know is, would UConn be banned from this if they're banned from the NCAAs? I think they would be.
All postseason play includes conference tournaments, I think. In any case, I doubt the Big East would allow UConn in anyway, since if we won, the conference would lose its automatic bid for the year. They wouldn't want us to win games and hurt teams who actually have a chance of making the tournament. Let's say for the sake of argument that we are the #7 team and play #10 Cincinnati, a bubble team, in the second round. Cincinnati just beat #15 Providence, but that's hardly impressive. Now, say we beat them. That ruins their chances of making the NCAA Tournament even though any wins for us in the BET don't particularly help us. Now, suppose that Cincinnati lost to Providence, who then makes a surprise run, and that instead of the #7 seed, we have the #4 seed and face Providence in the final. Providence has no chance of making the tournament if they don't win. We have no chance of making the tournament regardless. Is that fair to the Friars?

Even if we are allowed to, I don't think it's fair to the other Big East teams to let us. After all, I'm pretty sure Southern isn't going to be in the SWAC tournament this year. Even if the NCAA isn't stopping the SWAC, the SWAC is smart enough to keep them out of it.

Reaction Score

I think they've got to not let them play. What if they win the thing?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
An article I read said, it will be the Big East's decision, if it came to that.

Reaction Score

If it's the last BET for Cuse and Pitt, as expected, the BET will not take any economic hit from UConn's absence. Fans from the departing programs will fill the building as it's their last chance so see their teams ever in this tourney.

However for those same reasons, it would really suck to not see UConn in there. This is going to be one of the most hotly contested conference tournies ever considering two legendary programs will be heading out. Could you imagine us sending Pitt and Cuse out the door with resounding wins, and ending our season with a BET title? That would make up for a one year NCAA ban in my book

Reaction Score
usc(football) got a postseason ban from the ncaa. they couldn't play in the pac12 ship game this year.

That's because the winner gets to play in the BCS bowl. BE could do something similar but it depends. UConn would have to play 5 games to get to that point next year...and even so, the NCAA can just overlook them and pick the regular season champion for the auto-bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom