2013 APR decision today possibly? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2013 APR decision today possibly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
True or false: if the school made sure the players went to class, this is never an issue.

True. Irrefutably.

How do you make a guy like Gavin Edwards or Jeff Adrien go to class? The season is over, in their eyes they have no incentive to finish out the year. The school can't do anything about it. In fact, it's hard for them to make transferring players go to class.

Where Calhoun is at fault here is that he continually takes guys in the spring who are "reaches". He has also created a culture where transferring is not only accepted, it's encouraged. You have to stop taking guys like Darius Smith, who was both a reach, and not fit to handle the academics at UConn.

Take more guys like Omar Calhoun, who has shown a history of consistently putting in the work, and performing in school.

Reaction Score
Rightly or wrongly, this is mostly a PR action by the NCAA. If they serioulsy wanted to make sure that players were student-athletes they could do it. Like by not putting UCONN in the west region so its players spend a couple of weeks 2000-3000 miles off campus playing basketball. They don't but they want to look like they are doing something about the student part. I agree that on fairness it changing the rules after the fact is indefensible. But I agree with zl that had UCONN made a minimal effort on something they knew was going to be a problem, they wouldn't be in this predicament. Did they know that they might get kept out of the tourney? No. But apparently just losing a couple of scholarships wasn't enough of a concern to lead them to take action. And when it becomes a PR battle, a battle over a program that has all sorts of NCAA issues, all sorts of negative reports going back to the laptop incident, in the past few years, as well as dismal graduation rates, this is a battle that will be tough to win. Because from the NCAA's perspective, it needs somebody besides East Nowhere U to get nailed. And sadly, over the past 6-7 years UCONN has become viewed largely through self inflicted wounds, as a renegade program, who plays fast and lose with the rules. And recruits thugs and punks. That the current team, and last year's team doesn't fit that discription is good but too little too late in a sense. there is little positive pr to be gained by the NCAA from keeping us out.

Reaction Score
Rightly or wrongly, this is mostly a PR action by the NCAA. If they serioulsy wanted to make sure that players were student-athletes they could do it. Like by not putting UCONN in the west region so its players spend a couple of weeks 2000-3000 miles off campus playing basketball. They don't but they want to look like they are doing something about the student part. I agree that on fairness it changing the rules after the fact is indefensible. But I agree with zl that had UCONN made a minimal effort on something they knew was going to be a problem, they wouldn't be in this predicament. Did they know that they might get kept out of the tourney? No. But apparently just losing a couple of scholarships wasn't enough of a concern to lead them to take action. And when it becomes a PR battle, a battle over a program that has all sorts of NCAA issues, all sorts of negative reports going back to the laptop incident, in the past few years, as well as dismal graduation rates, this is a battle that will be tough to win. Because from the NCAA's perspective, it needs somebody besides East Nowhere U to get nailed. And sadly, over the past 6-7 years UCONN has become viewed largely through self inflicted wounds, as a renegade program, who plays fast and lose with the rules. And recruits thugs and punks. That the current team, and last year's team doesn't fit that discription is good but too little too late in a sense. there is little positive pr to be gained by the NCAA from keeping us out.

Please list the "thugs and punks" that have been a part of this program.

Reaction Score
The whole time table on the APR-2013 Tourney issue has been completely confusing to me. My whole take on this is that they weren't going to decide till around this time. Add to that, it sure seemed that those at UConn failed Negotiations 101 and were offering things up prematurely. Maybe the NCAA gave them some definitive decision and they were responding to that, but based on time lines we had seen, it didn't seem that was the case. Maybe someone at UConn figured that if they offered an olive branch...seemed like the whole grove to me...the NCAA would either accept it or if they didn't would decide in their favor as a result of their efforts. Unless they received a definitive, you're out, I think the whole thing was a huge mistake and brought more bad press than anything else. I would think that most of the recruits that might be considering UConn would have had major reservations about our program when all those reports and articles came out after the programs offer was disclosed and soon after unceremoniously rejected.

If in fact, some within the NCAA have it out for UConn, even if they plan on eventually including the Huskies they drag this out as long as possible to kick our program and their recruiting efforts in the ass. This whole situation sickens me and is so unfair to the current players who are kicking butt in the classroom the past couple years. Really!!! When you look close at this whole situation, there are no seniors on this team and just one junior, Alex, who's really done well in the classroom. The NCAA is punishing a team that is made up by 90%...well really 100% of a roster who's APR contribution is flawless over the past 2 years and had absolutely no impact on the bad prior numbers. What a complete fricken joke!!!!
DM,
the problem with your point is that the NCAA always punishes the school, rarely the players. USC is a good example. Mayo and Bush were long gone by the time the NCAA found a "lack of instituttional control" and put them on probation, issuesd post season bans and all the rest. For these kinds of things, and the APR stuff too, the role of the penalties is to change behavior going forward. UCONN absolutely muffed this APR thing as zl points out. And if you look around nobody else of our stature is facing similar sanctions...not one. Maybe a couple of low level programs. I can buy the argument that we already were punished for this, and changing the rules is unfair. But not that the UCONN men's basketball team shouldn't be penalized this year or next year for the actions of last year's players. If that is the standard, then the NCAA could almost never penalize any program once th eplayers or coaches left.

Reaction Score
Please list the "thugs and punks" that have been a part of this program.
I said that's the view form outside the circle of blue and white. And if you don't get that you musn't travel, or talk sports, with anyone from beyond the Connecticut borders. Regardless of the truth of the matter, the public image of the program has taken a huge hit over the past few years. Laptopgate, Doug Wiggins, Nate Miles, lousy graduation rates, lousy APR, NCAA penalties for recruiting violations, letting players off the hook for violations ...It has been one thing after another for the past 6 years or so, really since the 2004 Championship team that was a real highpoint for the program and was lead by a guy who personified the student-athlete.

Reaction Score
I said that's the view form outside the circle of blue and white. And if you don't get that you musn't travel, or talk sports, with anyone from beyond the Connecticut borders. Regardless of the truth of the matter, the public image of the program has taken a huge hit over the past few years. Laptopgate, Doug Wiggins, Nate Miles, lousy graduation rates, lousy APR, NCAA penalties for recruiting violations, letting players off the hook for violations ...It has been one thing after another for the past 6 years or so, really since the 2004 Championship team that was a real highpoint for the program and was lead by a guy who personified the student-athlete.

When I travel I wear UConn gear sometimes. I rarely hear about there being a perception of a "renegade" program.

I don't deny that it doesn't look great looking from the outside in, but remember, Syracuse was docked two scholarships for a poor APR, and have had quite a few off the court issues in addition to the Bernie Fine mess. It's not just UConn who has had problems.

Reaction Score
How would you feel if the NCAA comes back and says Uconn is banned from the post season for the next 5 years due to the APR? Would that still be cool? We could have avoided it you know! Apparently that's fully within their rights according to some, which is pretty scary.

Reaction Score
I still can't see Uconn being gonged. Call me naive, but the NCAA has been on our case for some time. How much longer is this going to continue. Time for the NCAA to go after some other program. I am starting to feel like UNLV in the 80's and 90's.
Nor can I, based solely on how ridiculously bad the RP is going to be for the NCAA. It would be one thing if the rule had already existed and UConn ran afoul of an existing rule. But to punish kids in 2012/13 for what happened in 2009/10 based on a rule made retroactively ? The more light that is shone upon that situation, the less favorable the view of the NCAA will be over time.

PLUS, I don't think UConn would sit still for it and would challenge the rule in court. I know the NCAA is run by morons, but even THEY can't be that dumb.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No, you should get life in prison. Legally, in this country, if I commit a murder when there is no death penalty, only a life sentence, I can't get the death penalty, even if the legislature legalizes it the next day. But I can (and should) still get life imprisonment.

Taking Con law this year? Been reading too much Ron Paul? See me if you want to talk law, I know a bit about the subject.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score

True or false: if the school made sure the players went to class, this is never an issue.

True. Irrefutably.
Of course it's true.

Regulations are in place to discourage certain behavior and encourage behavior. So a certain level of punishment encourages a certain level of care. I believe that the previous levels of punishment should have been enough to make UConn take enough care to prevent such punishments from being levied, but that's neither here nor there. If the punishment level was known to be higher, the incentive to adhere to the standards would have been higher.

It doesn't make sense in any situation to retroactively apply rules. It is simply not an efficient way of doing things. Uconn (in theory, for arguments sake, etc.) knew the risk it was taking by not adhering to the rules. They chose not to adhere to the rules. Then the risk changed after they didn't adhere to the rules. The fact that they wouldn't be in this situation had they followed the rules in the first place is irrelevant because they made those decisions in a completely different scenario with different rules. You simply can't analyze decisions made under one set of regulations and apply it to a different set of regulations.

To build off my previous example, I bet if you already knew you would have to give up your license for a month, you would have never sped in the first place. If UConn knew there was a risk of being banned from the post-season, I'm sure they would have tried harder to adhere to the rules.

Reaction Score
Nor can I, based solely on how ridiculously bad the RP is going to be for the NCAA. It would be one thing if the rule had already existed and UConn ran afoul of an existing rule. But to punish kids in 2012/13 for what happened in 2009/10 based on a rule made retroactively ? The more light that is shone upon that situation, the less favorable the view of the NCAA will be over time.

PLUS, I don't think UConn would sit still for it and would challenge the rule in court. I know the NCAA is run by morons, but even THEY can't be that dumb.

How about this. . . . . Uconn gets whacked for phone calls and texts. Coaches resign or get fired, schollys are taken, lack of institutional control is cited etc.etc. The following year phone cals and texts are now OK and no longer violations. Shouldn't the NCAA go back and retoractively change the penalty because it's not against the rules now.

Just. sayin. . . . . . . .

Reaction Score
Why doesn't the NCCA sanction ITSELF? If they had the new APR rules in place prior maybe the UConn program would have taken a more serious attitude towards the APR rules and that class would have been made to do better.

Reaction Score
Soap box.....I travel, live outside of New England right in the middle of ACC land and 99.9% of the people I interact, either here or in CA and NC and FL and SC and GA, have never heard of Doug Wiggins, may recall something on ESPN about Laptops and have no clue who Nate Miles is. They do know we have three NC's, they do know that our coach is successful but over bearing. They do know something about recruiting violations but those who do actually find it interesting that texting is now ok.

Finally, yes they do know something about something called APR that they really don't understand but it must be bad! Of course, their opinions, here in ACC land is somewhat muted given UNC had some very major issues with academics and tutors and writing papers etc and most think UNC is a very special place...what was there penalty in football? What was the NCAA outrage?

Reaction Score

True. Irrefutably.

Is it true? Is that why UConn didn't meet the bogus rules which subvert education? I never heard that before. I thought it had to do with players leaving school without finishing classes. Two totally different things. Are you privy to some info that we're not privy to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom