2013-2014 Season Wrap | The Boneyard

2013-2014 Season Wrap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
3-2 loss to Robert Morris seals the season for UCONN. Warde Manuel made I think the right hire in Mike Cavanaugh..who in turn made the right hires in Mike Souza and Joe Periera. It is evident that they need more speed and scoring on offense...and depth in goal. Hopefully the plans for the new on-campus rink/facility are done soon so that Cav and his staff can present a concrete plan on the recruiting trail. I think we will see Cav offering high school/prep school senior's (18 yr olds) a shot to play right away rather than having to spend a post grad year in prep school and/or in the USHL. It will be petty ugly for us until the entire scholarship allotment is filled, but in the end the right man has been hired and this program needs the fan base to support it. For those of you pining for the NHL/Whalers to return to Hartford...filling seats to UCONN hockey games no matter how the team does in the win/loss column will go a long way!! I also wanted to take the time to thank TEmery for setting up this hockey only forum.

Reaction Score
Coach Cav grabbed Segalla by offering him immediate playing time. Cannot emphasize enough the need for offensive players who can put the puck in the net and speed, speed, speed. It is desperately needed.

I would say the three bright spots coming out of the season for the future are Robby Nichols, Ryan Segalla, and Joona Kunnas. I do not envy Nichols going into their inaugural Hockey East season. There will be some long nights. Kunnas and Segalla will be a very solid tandem if they stay until their senior seasons. I think Kunnas has the chance to be a major blue liner for them. Very fluid skater.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coach Cav grabbed Segalla by offering him immediate playing time. Cannot emphasize enough the need for offensive players who can put the puck in the net and speed, speed, speed. It is desperately needed.

I would say the three bright spots coming out of the season for the future are Robby Nichols, Ryan Segalla, and Joona Kunnas. I do not envy Nichols going into their inaugural Hockey East season. There will be some long nights. Kunnas and Segalla will be a very solid tandem if they stay until their senior seasons. I think Kunnas has the chance to be a major blue liner for them. Very fluid skater.
Mac i agree with you on Segalla and Nichols but Kunnas i think you are way off. He might be a fluid skater but he plays soft and lacks foot speed and grit. At best by the time he is a senior he will be an average player.

Reaction Score
Tip of the helmet to the seniors, and thanks to Tom for the UCONN hockey chat room. That's Hockey East Huskies!

Enjoy spring break, then hit the books and weight room frosh to juniors.

Reaction Score
I'm interested to see the impact that Matt Balis has on the hockey team strength training wise. He may not directly work with the team but because he is in charge of the entire strength and conditioning program he should have an impact none the less.

Reaction Score
this was a nice season but it ended with a bit of a whimper, I thought. they were in a great position at the end of January having gone through the toughest part of the schedule, mostly on the road. With the final 6 conference games consisting of the weakest part of the conference, they didn't really come out and play well. They were fortunate to beat Sacred Heart to earn a split. In some respects this season was more like the 2011-2012 season than last year.

Looking forward, I agree that the 2 frosh dmen look like they could be the real deal. They really need to get a couple of scorers going forward, though I think Norris will be a major contributor. For what its worth, I also think Pat Kirkland is going to be a nice player. he showed some flashes last year and I think he really grew this year.

Reaction Score
Growing up, I used to listen to Ft. Wayne Komets' games when I was supposed to be sleeping. Their radio station must have had a powerful transmission to make it to CT. Good luck to Grogan ... great to be paid some to play a sport for a year or more ...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
“@jxnmitchell: Robert Morris, the team that knocked @UConnMHOC out of the tournament, captures the @Atlantic_Hockey crown, defeating Canisius 7-4.”

Reaction Score
“@jxnmitchell: Robert Morris, the team that knocked @UConnMHOC out of the tournament, captures the @Atlantic_Hockey crown, defeating Canisius 7-4.”

There were some great playoff games this weekend. All three Atlantic games were great, Quinnipiac and Colgate was good, UMass-Lowell dominated the Hockey East tournament, and the Big Ten tournament was entertaining. The Wisconsin and Ohio State game was a great watch. Fantastic championship game for the inaugural Big Ten tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom