2013 / 2014 can be really special | The Boneyard

2013 / 2014 can be really special

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we'll have experienced players that know how to win, with 4 seniors and 2 juniors with lots of experience

good recruits coming in to help patch some holes

I suspect Wolf and Daniels will both be a lot stronger

and it will be the 2nd year under Ollie, which will help both the kids and Ollie

Reaction Score
If Boatright cares about the size of his paycheck he will stay at least 1 more year. If everyone comes back Uconn is pre-season top 15.

willie99

Reaction Score
I don't think Boat is ready to leave, but I guess it's possible

did anyone really think he gets drafted after his freshmen season? I'm guessing that "article" would be more about "wishful thinking"

Reaction Score
It's not as much about being ready as it is about getting the opportunity. We've all seen how much family is to him maybe those are his priorities. you know in his head he thinks given the shot he could succeed at anything

Reaction Score
As a scout recently said after a great game by Boatright, "He is nowhere near ready."

willie99

Reaction Score
I just checked 4 2013 draft projection sites, two of them list top 100.

Boat not listed anywhere.
Bazz listed something like 99 on one
and on a side bar, AO is nowhere to be found either

I wish Boat all the best. If it were up to me, he leaves after this season and lives his dream of playing in the NBA. I even hope AO get his chance. But I simply don't think Boat's leaving after this season.

Reaction Score
It's also tough when he can't showcase himself in any postseason tourney.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Hopefully both Bazz and Boat will get input from KO who will have communication with NBA people to give them better advice at the end of the season when the projections are much more likely to be accurate. It's very hard for me to see Boat get drafted and Bazz looks iffy. It may not be in either of their best interests to get drafted in the second round either. At this point, it looks to me that both should come back for their own sakes....I'm sure they have been waiting for my opinion.

Reaction Score
Although I like both Boat and Bazz, it might actually help the offensive if one leaves after the season. With another year of experience/development, several players could really thrive:

-Calhoun could move back to SG where I think he would be a monster
-DD moves back to SF
-TO slides to PW
-EW starts at center

On paper, that's a pretty formible starting five with Boat or bazz at the point.

The big challenge then becomes depth. Giffey is a rock. Nolan and the incoming class have to make immediate contributions.
If Evans had a 2nd yr, I really would not be concerned if one left.

I love Boat and Bazz for the way the apply pressure and push tempo. Hopefully, Ollie continues to recruit lightning fast point guards.

If both leave, it will be a real long season. I applaud them both for staying this past year. Both could be starters on almost any top 25 team.

Reaction Score
If the goal is money. Both could play overseas next year. If the goal is the NBA. Another year with KO will increase their chances.

Usually, the determining factor in the NBA draft is potential. Production doesn't matter. Proto-typical guards with zero college production will go before either of them. Neither would sniff the guaranteed money of round one in 2013.

However, another year with KO would increase their chances of actually making and sticking with an NBA squad. They will be bigger, stronger, more mature and better able to meet the demands of the league. They will improve their skills and KO will instill them with the professional work habits needed to survivie in a very tough environment.

None of this is a prediction. 20-year olds make very strange decisions. But another year at UConn will not hurt either a wit, and could make a major difference in their success at the next level.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Napier going pro would hurt the team far more than Boat going pro.

Reaction Score
Both kids love and trust JC and he will no doubt have input on this as well . JC and KO have their best interests in mind and will give them an honest assessment.

Also as someone mentioned above, doing some damage in the NCAA Tourney next year would not hurt them either.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Projected Roster:

C: Enosch Wolf
PF: Tyler Olander
SF: DeAndre Daniels
G: Ryan Boatright
G: Shabazz Napier
B: Omar Calhoun
B: Niels Giffey
B: Phil Nolan
B: Leon Tolksdorf
B: Terrence Samuel
B: Kentan Facey
B: Amida Brimah

Looks like a lot of raw, but improving size, but a lot of experience.

Reaction Score
While I'd love to see it, I think that's hopeful. Fact is, next year's team is going to be substantially the same as this year's team, but we'll be losing RJ and maybe Boat or Bazz. Essentially, it's this years team with 13 more games under their belts, with freshmen added. I don't really expect huge improvement from this year. If Boat leaves then I would expect that there would be a drop off from this year. Sure, guys will get a bit stronger and have a bit more experience, and Wolf's vertical may go up 25% to 5 inches, but that won't cure our basic ailment, which is the lack of a front court that can rebound effectively, score on occasion, and defend the paint.

What I expect to see is more of what we have this year, which is a great group of kids who are busting their asses to do the best with what they have, plus tournament incentive, which, for next year, should be stronger in them than in most others.

Boat has a very strong ego. Fact is, if he was thinking about going last year, he's probably thinking about it more now. I can't see him in the NBA, but I'm no pro scout. He seems to very much believe that that is where he should be, however, and, if people believe in something strongly enough, even if it's not true, they sometimes do irrational things.

Perhaps with the D-League players like Boat have substantially less risk by leaving early. Getting drafted and not making a starting roster is not nearly as detrimental to NBA aspirations as it was 20 years ago, where you would then disappear to Europe and likely never return. Adrien is a perfect example of a guy who was marginal, but, who through hard work and determination, used the D-League to prove his worth to the league. Given that the D-League truly is the echelon immediately below the NBA, it may even be a better proving ground for players than another year in college.

I'd say UConn is a 25-30 ranked team right now. If Boat comes back, I think we're 18-25 range next year, with a chance to run to the EE based on effort and feistyness, but with a sweet sixteen appearance being the mark of an excellent year and excellent progression under KO.

Oh. And I don't see Bazz leaving - too prudent and too much to gain by staying.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
While I'd love to see it, I think that's hopeful. Fact is, next year's team is going to be substantially the same as this year's team, but we'll be losing RJ and maybe Boat or Bazz. Essentially, it's this years team with 13 more games under their belts, with freshmen added. I don't really expect huge improvement from this year. If Boat leaves then I would expect that there would be a drop off from this year. Sure, guys will get a bit stronger and have a bit more experience, and Wolf's vertical may go up 25% to 5 inches, but that won't cure our basic ailment, which is the lack of a front court that can rebound effectively, score on occasion, and defend the paint.

What I expect to see is more of what we have this year, which is a great group of kids who are busting their asses to do the best with what they have, plus tournament incentive, which, for next year, should be stronger in them than in most others.

Boat has a very strong ego. Fact is, if he was thinking about going last year, he's probably thinking about it more now. I can't see him in the NBA, but I'm no pro scout. He seems to very much believe that that is where he should be, however, and, if people believe in something strongly enough, even if it's not true, they sometimes do irrational things.

Perhaps with the D-League players like Boat have substantially less risk by leaving early. Getting drafted and not making a starting roster is not nearly as detrimental to NBA aspirations as it was 20 years ago, where you would then disappear to Europe and likely never return. Adrien is a perfect example of a guy who was marginal, but, who through hard work and determination, used the D-League to prove his worth to the league. Given that the D-League truly is the echelon immediately below the NBA, it may even be a better proving ground for players than another year in college.

I'd say UConn is a 25-30 ranked team right now. If Boat comes back, I think we're 18-25 range next year, with a chance to run to the EE based on effort and feistyness, but with a sweet sixteen appearance being the mark of an excellent year and excellent progression under KO.

Oh. And I don't see Bazz leaving - too prudent and too much to gain by staying.

These are all strong points. However, if Enosch Wolf gets bigger and works real hard on his game, I think he can be an impact player next year. I don't want to use the typical Hilton Armstrong hybrid player, but this year we've seen he can rebound against good teams, score down low, shoot the 15 footer, and block shots. He just needs to put it all together.

willie99

Reaction Score
One year of experience in college makes a world of difference. They're smarter, wiser and physically stronger. They work out and play together all summer long. They'll all have one year with KO under their belt.

I've seen how much one year changes many many Uconn teams

Reaction Score
If Evans had a 2nd yr, I really would not be concerned if one left.
You realize what you're saying is that you would not be concerned if Boat or Bazz left if Evans had another year. RJ Evans. That 6'1" chucker of a power forward RJ Evans. RJ Evans.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
Projected Roster:

C: Enosch Wolf
PF: Tyler Olander
SF: DeAndre Daniels
G: Ryan Boatright
G: Shabazz Napier
B: Omar Calhoun
B: Niels Giffey
B: Phil Nolan
B: Leon Tolksdorf
B: Terrence Samuel
B: Kentan Facey
B: Amida Brimah

Looks like a lot of raw, but improving size, but a lot of experience.

Out of this group I think Calhoun and Wolf will show the most improvement . I think We'll be at least a sweet 16 but I also think we'll need another guard/ combo guard for next year. Possibly a decommit from USC or somewhere.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Out of this group I think Calhoun and Wolf will show the most improvement . I think We'll be at least a sweet 16 but I also think we'll need another guard/ combo guard for next year. Possibly a decommit from USC or somewhere.

Kahlil Dukes?

Reaction Score
If the goal is money. Both could play overseas next year. If the goal is the NBA. Another year with KO will increase their chances.

Usually, the determining factor in the NBA draft is potential. Production doesn't matter. Proto-typical guards with zero college production will go before either of them. Neither would sniff the guaranteed money of round one in 2013.

However, another year with KO would increase their chances of actually making and sticking with an NBA squad. They will be bigger, stronger, more mature and better able to meet the demands of the league. They will improve their skills and KO will instill them with the professional work habits needed to survivie in a very tough environment.

None of this is a prediction. 20-year olds make very strange decisions. But another year at UConn will not hurt either a wit, and could make a major difference in their success at the next level.
If potential is the most important factor then Daniels might have the most upside. He has an outside shot, has been taking it to the rack more often lately and is beginning to rebound. Add another 25-30 pounds and he could be a forces.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
Kahlil Dukes?

Kendal Harris 6' 4" and the SF Prince is from Cali. I'm just basing it on KO wanted to recruit taller guards and they'll be some kids that will either reconsider Uconn due to the extension and us having a good , scorned and battle tested team next year. OT: I can see USC going after Shaka Smart next year. It would clean up the stinch and keep their recruits

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Hm. Kendal Harris is a highly ranked player. I would assume Dukes would be more reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom