2013-14 top 50 | The Boneyard

2013-14 top 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd say #26 is way off base. With Bazz, Daniels, Calhoun, Boat and Giffey all returning and the addition of three good recruits, top 15 isn't a stretch at all. We only lose RJ and add a true PG and 2 big men.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Look no further than Indiana at #16 for over rated. Losing their entire Front Court and ranked #16 given no depth whatsoever?

Plenty of other similar examples where either the Guards or Forwards are a complete rebuild. No balance at all.

Reaction Score
Pre season rankings mean nothing. They also do not know that all those kids are coming back for sure. Good topic but don't get ur panties in a wad over it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
BCU 47? In the state of Massachusetts maybe.

Can't give any credence to that ranking.

Uconn should be Top-15 easy. Any team that won 20 games the previous year and returns its top 7 players and adds recruits in areas of need other than scoring is a top 15 team. Uconn returns over 60 ppg and the incoming recruits just need to rebound and run. Any scoring from Brimah, Facey or Samuels is a bonus.

Reaction Score
I'd say #26 is way off base. With Bazz, Daniels, Calhoun, Boat and Giffey all returning and the addition of three good recruits, top 15 isn't a stretch at all. We only lose RJ and add a true PG and 2 big men.
Our recruits aren't that great this year. They might have a high ceiling but now Amida is raw offensively and needs some muscle. Facey needs muscle as well and Samuel needs a better shot. They may be good in the future but immediate impact may not be that great. Facey will be the best off the bat I think.

Reaction Score
Our recruits aren't that great this year. They might have a high ceiling but now Amida is raw offensively and needs some muscle. Facey needs muscle as well and Damuke needs a better shot. They may be good in the future but immediate impact may not be that great. Facey will be the best off the bat I think.

Having more fouls alone improves the front court.

We had Giffey and Tolksdorf at center several times this year. Even when Wolf was playing, we had Olander and Wolf in foul trouble a couple times.

Reaction Score
Having more fouls alone improves the front court.

We had Giffey and Tolksdorf at center several times this year. Even when Wolf was playing, we had Olander and Wolf in foul trouble a couple times.
I know that but what I'm saying is don't expect Amida or Facey to come in and get 10 and 10 all the time.

Reaction Score
I know that but what I'm saying is don't expect Amida or Facey to come in and get 10 and 10 all the time.

I have to say, I don't expect them to play much. They'll have to take time away from Olander. I expect Nolan might see a lot of PT if he beefs up. I think the smaller lineup of Daniels, Calhoun, Boatright and Napier is out there for 30 minutes. Add in Giffey for 20, and there you go. Nolan, Wolf, Olander gets the lion's share.

Reaction Score
I have to say, I don't expect them to play much. They'll have to take time away from Olander. I expect Nolan might see a lot of PT if he beefs up. I think the smaller lineup of Daniels, Calhoun, Boatright and Napier is out there for 30 minutes. Add in Giffey for 20, and there you go. Nolan, Wolf, Olander gets the lion's share.
I expect Nolan to get a lot more minutes this year. He will be stronger and bigger and in his time last year he didn't do bad. I actually wanted him to get Olanders minutes because 2 rebounds in 20 minutes when your 6'10" is pathetic.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
UK # 1, I guess they assume next year's freshmen will play better that this year's freshmen, who were also a top 3 team preseason

our entire roster returns, we add depth and have a year under our belt with Ollie

I also assume Ollie's knowledge base has increased exponentially in his 1st season

"can't wait"

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Agreed. I expect the freshman big men to contribute about what Nolan did last season. If Wolf isn't back, the minutes go up some, just as they did for Nolan when he got suspended.

Reaction Score
It's amazing to me how under ranked we are and even more amazing that some UConn fans think we should be outside the top 25. This is easily a top 15 squad next year, I think it's top 10. We are going to have the best backcourt in the country plus an absolute stud in Daniels. Add to that our much needed and improved depth and we are going to be damn good.

Reaction Score

Facey will play, taking time away from Olander shouldn't be hard to do. Unless he drastically improves I just can't see KO putting up with another year with having a big who couldn't rebound, rotate on D, or challenge shots at the rim when he now has different options available. Facey may be light but he'll be able to board and block shots just off of his motor.

Reaction Score
I think there are people who are underrating them next year and people who are overrating them. I think you're doing the latter. If a bunch of things happen in the offseason this team could be very good, but it depends on guys showing measured improvement, including some guys who haven't improved much over the last couple seasons. All I'm saying is there are teams starting the year with better raw materials so for a team that had to eke out wins over bad teams this year I'd slow down on saying they're going to be the best anything in the country just yet.

Reaction Score
Our recruits aren't that great this year. They might have a high ceiling but now Amida is raw offensively and needs some muscle. Facey needs muscle as well and Samuel needs a better shot. They may be good in the future but immediate impact may not be that great. Facey will be the best off the bat I think.

It doesn't matter. We could have zero recruits coming in and we should still be 15-20.

With that said, there are so many things wrong with this list. First off, it includes players listed as returning who have already declared for the draft (Goodwin) and others (Deshaun Thomas) who are a coin flip at best. Kansas loses its entire team besides two freshman and they are 11. We bring back our entire team and are 26. As others have said, preseason lists are a joke. Look no further than Kentucky being 3rd last year!!

None of this means anything, but how is G'Town 6th when they are going to lose THE GREATEST SMALL FORWARD IN BIG EAST HISTORY??!! (cough cough cough).

Reaction Score
Wow....No PC? They obviously haven't heard the big news about the Friars.

Reaction Score
I think we are somewhere between 15 and 25 depending upon how much Nolan improves and the incoming bigs can contribute. If Daniels plays all year like he did the final 5 games we are going to be top 15 regardless of others improvement. I really like being 26 because the team will without a doubt feel disrespected. The key being TEAM. Like others have mentioned I don't really get how experts rank a team top 20 when that team loses 3-4 starters. They might pull it together come tournament time, but we are WAY off from thinking about the tournament. The rankings should be based on who will be the best to start the season.

Reaction Score
Georgetown loses one of the best players in the country, Otto Porter and IMPROVES to #6. Maybe if we push Napier out the door we will jump up on this list

Reaction Score
I expect Nolan to get a lot more minutes this year. He will be stronger and bigger and in his time last year he didn't do bad. I actually wanted him to get Olanders minutes because 2 rebounds in 20 minutes when your 6'10" is pathetic.
Most players show minimal improvement over a summer.

Name me a couple of UConn players over the years who have shown great improvement over a summer?

Reaction Score
Facey will play, taking time away from Olander shouldn't be hard to do. Unless he drastically improves I just can't see KO putting up with another year with having a big who couldn't rebound, rotate on D, or challenge shots at the rim when he now has different options available. Facey may be light but he'll be able to board and block shots just off of his motor.
He played at EO Smith against 6'2" centers and not exactly a basketball hotbed

Reaction Score
Most players show minimal improvement over a summer.

Name me a couple of UConn players over the years who have shown great improvement over a summer?

How about our entire starting lineup last year? Minus Olander of course

Reaction Score
Ollie is the X-factor. Until the nation recognizes who's coaching us this ranking is fine and indicative of not knowing who we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom