2013-14 Non-Conference Schedule Announced (merged) | The Boneyard

2013-14 Non-Conference Schedule Announced (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow, that's crazy.
11/1 Gannon University (Div II Exhibition)
11/6 Philadelphia University (Div II Exhibition)
11/9 Hartford
11/11 Stanford
11/15 @ Maryland
11/17 @ Penn State
11/20 Oregon
11/22 Boston University
11/23 Monmouth
11/24 St. Bonaventure
Yikes! That's a lot of games in Nov.

Then
12/1 Ohio State (in Springfield MA)
12/5 UC-Davis
12/17 @ Duke
12/22 California (Maggie Dixon - MSG)

At least not doing much travel OOC.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tough first game back from exam with Duke on the road. They sometimes have a little rust coming off that break. All the west coast teams and there are 4 this year are on the east coast.

Reaction Score
11/ 9 Hartford
11/11 Stanford
11/15 @ Maryland
11/17 @ Penn St
11/20 Oregon
11/22-24 BU / Monmouth / St Bonaventure
12/ 1 vs Ohio St @ Springfield MA (Hall of Fame)
12/ 5 UC Davis
12/17 @ Duke (Jimmy V)
12/22 vs Cal @ MSG (Maggie Dixon)
1/13 @ Baylor

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There has been considerable angst about UConn now being in the American Athletic Conference because of the diminished quality of opposing conference member teams. No more Notre Dame, DePaul, Villanova, St. John's, etc.

It is what it is, but (and my focus is solely on women's basketball) I find a silver lining of sorts in next season's schedule. The bright spot for wcbb is that UConn will set attendance records all over America as fans (including thousands of youthful players and their families and coaches, plus many curious people who want to witness this UConn juggernaut) in many municipalities and a few campuses flock to their nearby arena.

The OOC schedule includes visits to NYC (a Sunday game at MSG), Springfield (Sunday vs. OSU), Duke, Maryland, Penn State (another Sunday game), and Baylor. Once conference play starts, UConn will return to Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati and USF (Tampa), where they will surely draw well. They will also visit (often for the first time) Dallas (SMU), UCF (Orlando), Temple (Philly), Memphis, and Houston. The Sunday games are made to order for ESPN, possibly CBS.

Many attendance records will be broken, despite frequent increases in ticket prices, when "UConn comes to town!," so to speak. Geno and some players will be in constant demand for local TV interviews. Stewie and Stef and Kaleena and their teammates will deliver as advertised.

Then the inaugural AAC tournament at Mohegan, followed by the road to Nashville. UConn will be The Main Attraction and wcbb will benefit.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
2013-2014 Non conference schedule (not 2012-13)
Times, UConn home sites and TV information are to be announced. Here is the full schedule:
x-Nov. 1 - Gannon
x-Nov. 6 - Philadelphia
Nov. 9 - Hartford
Nov. 11 - Stanford
Nov. 15 - at Maryland
Nov. 17 - at Penn State
Nov. 20 - Oregon
y-Nov. 22 - Boston University
y-Nov. 23 - Monmouth
y-Nov. 24 - St. Bonaventure
y-Dec. 1 - Ohio State at Springfield, Mass.
Dec. 5 – Cal-Davis
Dec. 17 - at Duke in Jimmy V Classic
Dec. 22 – Cal in Maggie Dixon Classic at Madison Square Garden
Jan. 13 - at Baylor
x-exhibition; y-Hall of Fame Classic games

Looks like a pretty good job of getting the best possible games...Stanford, Maryland, Penn State, Ohio State, Baylor, etc.... Cal and Duke in "Classic tournaments"... Not bad, right?

Reaction Score
Tough first game back from exam with Duke on the road. They sometimes have a little rust coming off that break. All the west coast teams and there are 4 this year are on the east coast.

When has Duke and tough been used in the same sentence in relation to UConn since 2006?

Reaction Score
Good schedule but it is really unacceptable to not be playing Notre Dame. That should have been worked out somehow for the good of the game.

If UConn is a 1 seed like expected and ND is around a 2 or 3 than I would fully expect to see them and have to beat them to get to the Final Four out of our region next year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Good schedule but it is really unacceptable to not be playing Notre Dame. That should have been worked out somehow for the good of the game.

If UConn is a 1 seed like expected and ND is around a 2 or 3 than I would fully expect to see them and have to beat them to get to the Final Four out of our region next year.

As it is UConn is playing a 13-game OOC schedule. The opponents were already set by the time it became clear ND was going to the ACC. UConn does not back out of commitments. I'd be surprised if ND is not a #1 seed.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
There has been considerable angst about UConn now being in the American Athletic Conference because of the diminished quality of opposing conference member teams. No more Notre Dame, DePaul, Villanova, St. John's, etc.

It is what it is, but (and my focus is solely on women's basketball) I find a silver lining of sorts in next season's schedule. The bright spot for wcbb is that UConn will set attendance records all over America as fans (including thousands of youthful players and their families and coaches, plus many curious people who want to witness this UConn juggernaut) in many municipalities and a few campuses flock to their nearby arena.

The OOC schedule includes visits to NYC (a Sunday game at MSG), Springfield (Sunday vs. OSU), Duke, Maryland, Penn State (another Sunday game), and Baylor. Once conference play starts, UConn will return to Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati and USF (Tampa), where they will surely draw well. They will also visit (often for the first time) Dallas (SMU), UCF (Orlando), Temple (Philly), Memphis, and Houston. The Sunday games are made to order for ESPN, possibly CBS.

Many attendance records will be broken, despite frequent increases in ticket prices, when "UConn comes to town!," so to speak. Geno and some players will be in constant demand for local TV interviews. Stewie and Stef and Kaleena and their teammates will deliver as advertised.

Then the inaugural AAC tournament at Mohegan, followed by the road to Nashville. UConn will be The Main Attraction and wcbb will benefit.

Maybe the only positive thing. I will give you that...but nothing more. There is a lot of travel in the conference schedule and 6 travel games in the OCC - although Springfield is a short distance away. Our brand will definatly be out there that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Meh - we might go 40-0 this season. Did anybody read the last sentence of the article?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You deleted the rest of our response or the mod did.

But even your remaining response is curious. You would be ok with backing out of a game that has been agreed upon?

Now THAT is unacceptable.

I understand it's in UConn's best interest to schedule ND but waiting a year is not the worst thing. A year off, or waiting to play in the NCAAs might be a good thing. Certainly breaking a contract is not acceptable just to put ND on the schedule this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would say the one down side to the AAC is that 18 game schedule - cuts into the OOC schedule by one or two games. It will be difficult to find a spot for ND as one sort of expects the Baylor, Stanford, Duke, MD, PSU games to continue. And with Stanford west coast trip Geno likes to stay out there for at least one additional game, sometime two - so that is 6+ OOC games. Add in one in season tournament which cuts out two OOC games and you are looking at only a couple of other games. Geno will always schedule Hartford if Jen wants that game and with trying to arrange a 'homecoming' game for seniors there truly may not be an available slot for ND. Add in a few other New BE teams that have been good rivals - St Johns (NYC) and DePaul (Chicago) which are nice locations for recruiting (in years when not playing the Maggie Dixon) and it is even more crowded. And their are a few coaches out there that Geno may want to schedule - Oklahoma, U of Michigan (Barnes Arico?), etc.
ND was a good rivalry the past few years though we probably played too many times each year. Taking a year or two off is not a big deal.
FYI - Regular season is 29 games max or 27 games plus a pre/in-season tournament I believe so with the tournament and 18 league games the OOC is limited to 9 games.

Reaction Score
The bright spot for wcbb is that UConn will set attendance records all over America as fans (including thousands of youthful players and their families and coaches,

Yeah, I'm sure attendance of 1,000 will be new highs in Memphis, Greenville, and Orlando.

Reaction Score
Maybe they should.
That's a wonderful life lesson for young women to learn. Be opportunistic and turn your back on commitments. I hope you said that in jest because if you didn't and you live your life by that standard, well, that's pretty crappy!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Schedule commitments were reportedly too far developed when things changed. In another year it may change.

Reaction Score
Skylar pointed out that UConn and ND played about 15 games while she was there--too many! I'd rather see the Huskies play the LVs again sooner than the Irish.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Skylar pointed out that UConn and ND played about 15 games while she was there--too many! I'd rather see the Huskies play the LVs again sooner than the Irish.
Yep, Skylar was 7-8 in those games. I believe she started 0-6 and finished with a loss. She was 7-1 in between. That's a ridiculously impressive record. Six of the seven games were very close, but ND grabbed the win each time. I choose to focus on the last one, the one I personally witnessed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea we played ND 8 times in the past 2 years, that should be good for a couple years.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
When has Duke and tough been used in the same sentence in relation to UConn since 2006?

a.jpg

if there was ever a time to use this pic in a reply... well.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member