2012 Recruiting Class | The Boneyard

2012 Recruiting Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hello all, can someone provide the most recent update on our status with the top undeclared recruits- particularly Anthony Bennett and Amile Jefferson? As the early signing period ends on Nov 16, should we anticipate a commitment from Anthony, Amile, or another prior to the end of the early signing period? Or should we expect them to sign LOI's in April/May? Thanks for the feedback.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Omar should be signing then too hopefully

Reaction Score
anything new on the bennett front?...very quiet

Haven't seen anything new in awhile. He's taking his time, still has a list of 9 schools. Seems to like us but the same can be said for Florida, Kentucky, and others.

Reaction Score
Bennett has not taken his 1st run of the SATs so no official visits yet.

Reaction Score
I'm not exactly sure if we can get one or two more recruits. But the vibe I am getting is that we are going all in on Bennett, with obekpa being a sort of fallback as they are committing late. Amile seems kind of unlikely IMHO.

Reaction Score
On the old board there was a link to recruiting. Is there any plans to add that here?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
we can always hope Drumond stays for 2 years... :)
I'm going to qualify this statement. Hope no one takes offense. I just like making the anti doom statement to the universe based on the "be careful what you wish for philosphy"

The amendment is we can always hope Drummond stays for 2 years because the NBA contract has been changed and he is required to stay after having an incredible season:).

Reaction Score
Right now, Bennett is priority 1, 2 and 3, with Obepka being a guy that the staff will keep its eye on (he's blowing up too, so his list might still get bigger before it gets smaller).

Another player to keep in mind is Nerlens Noel. UConn will be in the mix IF he does reclassify, although he's not a lock the way Drummond was.

Reaction Score
we can always hope Drumond stays for 2 years... :)

From everything I've heard, it sounds like it's going to be 2 years. The owners want it, and the union doesn't really care. I guess it could get bargained away, but it doesn't seem likely.

Reaction Score
On the old board there was a link to recruiting. Is there any plans to add that here?

I do not think so. Site like scout and rival pay reporters/scouts to rank and create those profiles.

Reaction Score
From everything I've heard, it sounds like it's going to be 2 years. The owners want it, and the union doesn't really care. I guess it could get bargained away, but it doesn't seem likely.
While it most certainly does look like the new rule will be two years, the rule could very well be grandfathered in and all freshmen for this upcoming season could not be affected. It's all still completely up in the air.

Reaction Score
Anyone have a lead on where Amile is leaning? I think I remember reading that he was NOT signing late, therefore he only has a week left...

Reaction Score
Anyone have a lead on where Amile is leaning? I think I remember reading that he was NOT signing late, therefore he only has a week left...
Might be another one going to NC State.

Reaction Score
Might be another one going to NC State.
Not that we're all that strong with Amile, but if he goes to NC State it will be another player we were out-recruited by them. Two years ago it was CJ Leslie and a couple months ago it was Rodney Purvis. Now granted both are from Raleigh NC, so keep that in mind.

Amile is from Philly. UConn has done well in PA in the past. Rip and Shamon Tooles are from Coatesville, PA, which is about 50 miles west of Philly. I don't think UConn has successfully recruited Philly all that well, though maybe I'm forgetting some past players from there.

Reaction Score
Not that we're all that strong with Amile, but if he goes to NC State it will be another player we were out-recruited by them. Two years ago it was CJ Leslie and a couple months ago it was Rodney Purvis. Now granted both are from Raleigh NC, so keep that in mind.

Amile is from Philly. UConn has done well in PA in the past. Rip and Shamon Tooles are from Coatesville, PA, which is about 50 miles west of Philly. I don't think UConn has successfully recruited Philly all that well, though maybe I'm forgetting some past players from there.
Some schlep named Donyell Marshall was from the Philly area.

Reaction Score

I hate the term "out-recruited".. sometimes guys just wanna go elsewhere, not because of anything the coaches did or didn't do

Reaction Score
I hate the term "out-recruited".. sometimes guys just wanna go elsewhere, not because of anything the coaches did or didn't do
Great point, You can spend every legal second with the kid but if him and his family think he's a better fit elsewhere...then that's where he'll go.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great point, You can spend every legal second with the kid but if him and his family think he's a better fit elsewhere...then that's where he'll go.

Agreed, not every kid crests the hill at our favorite dairy cow U and falls in love with the place. I did, and it's much nicer now. But it is the boonies.

Reaction Score
uconnball.com is an awesome site, I urge everyone on this board to register on their board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom