2011, 2014, 2022 Talent Levels | The Boneyard

2011, 2014, 2022 Talent Levels

Reaction Score
Now we have had insanely talented ranked teams knocked out of the tournament (see George Mason) but to me we are at least as talented 2022 if not more. Alpha star guards Bazz and Kemba were a big factor for them but this team has more answers on offense. Of course talent level guarantees nothing for results.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Now we have had insanely talented ranked teams knocked out of the tournament (see George Mason) but to me we are at least as talented 2022 if not more. Alpha star guards Bazz and Kemba were a big factor for them but this team has more answers on offense. Of course talent level guarantees nothing for results.
Depth of talent this team is probably better than either of those. But it doesn’t have any one guy as good as Kamba or Bazz were. Sanogo is great, but needs others to get him the ball. Matchups are everything in the tournament, and one guy named Teddy can get hot and end it for you.

Reaction Score
Depth of talent this team is probably better than either of those. But it doesn’t have any one guy as good as Kamba or Bazz were. Sanogo is great, but needs others to get him the ball. Matchups are everything in the tournament, and one guy named Teddy can get hot and end it for you.
Exactly! This is the most talented and best team we’ve had since 2014. This is probably the best team Dan Hurley has ever coached. The NCAA Tournament seems like It has become more of a roll of the dice in recent years. Im just hoping we don’t have any more injuries because that Is one thing that can hold us back from reaching our full potential.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Exactly! This is the most talented and best team we’ve had since 2014. This is probably the best team Dan Hurley has ever coached. The NCAA Tournament seems like It has become more of a roll of the dice in recent years. Im just hoping we don’t have any more injuries because that Is one thing that can hold us back from reaching our full potential.
This is definitely the best team he’s coached. Despite the tourney result, last years team was better than any team he had at URI. This team could blow out any team he had at URI.

Reaction Score
This team reminds me more of the 09 team than the 11 or 14 teams. Dominant big men and we beat teams by a lot. Teams with top guards aren't as dominant because they don't control the boards or paint. So they can have really bad losses or have close games against bad teams if a guard dominant team had an off shooting night.

Reaction Score
This take might be wrong but:

1. Kemba>Newton>Boatright
2. Bazz>Lamb>Hawkins
3. Daniels>Karaban>Smith
4. Sanogo>Giffey>Olander
5. Clingan>Brimah>Oriakhi

Reaction Score
This team reminds me more of the 09 team than the 11 or 14 teams. Dominant big men and we beat teams by a lot. Teams with top guards aren't as dominant because they don't control the boards or paint. So they can have really bad losses or have close games against bad teams if a guard dominant team had an off shooting night.
As far as regular season results are concerned, I think this could be the best regular season we’ve had since 2009. Yes, we won a National Championship in 2011 and 2014, and that is the ultimate goal, but we have not dominated a regular season from start to finish since 2009. That is a long time, and I miss having those seasons where we are so much better than most teams we are going to play. I know It’s early, but let’s enjoy the ride, because this could be a good one.

Reaction Score
09 team lacked shooters which was painfully clear after Dyson went down. I see this team resembling 2014 only swap the best back court for (potentially) the best front court

Reaction Score
The thing about this squad is that we can legitimately go 10 deep, that’s combined with elite level team defense and the best shooting UCONN team since when??

Reaction Score
Yeah hopefully Newton or Hawkins can get close to that level.

Reaction Score
We gotta remember that both those teams lost many games along the way as they developed. 11' BE was a bear. 14' just got on a run but at the right time. Defense was key for both.

Reaction Score
This team is definitely more talented/more weapons but we all knew those werent the most talented teams going into those seasons. I remember 2011 the talk about our weak recruiting class and how we got "the other lamb". Expectations were low in 2011 but changed quickly after Maui. 2014 was different as while again none of us expected a title run many of us here remembered the `11 run and knew it was possible. But it cant happen again can it? No way! Thats what i thought until we took down MSU. I knew then we were cutting down the nets. Since those two runs ive completely thrown all expectations out of the window. As far as im concerned if Uconn is in it they can win it i dont care what seed we are.

Reaction Score
The thing about this squad is that we can legitimately go 10 deep, that’s combined with elite level team defense and the best shooting UCONN team since when??
2013-14.

Through seven games, 2013-14 was at .441 (55/123). This squad is currently at .385 (69/179) which is second best between 2010 and 2022. Here’s the list per CBB Sports reference of 3PTFG% through first seven games of the season:
C2090FC0-B4E7-4AFD-B8D3-E06EEF5D683B.jpeg

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m kind of looking forward to seeing how Newton progresses over the season. He’s not Kemba or Bazz, but his control and feel for the game is very similar. It’s special when a guy knows when to make a play while having the ability to do it. That was the very special thing about the guards prior.

Reaction Score
I’m kind of looking forward to seeing how Newton progresses over the season. He’s not Kemba or Bazz, but his control and feel for the game is very similar. It’s special when a guy knows when to make a play while having the ability to do it. That was the very special thing about the guards prior.
His approach reminds me more of Tate George than anyone .
Tate was vastly underrated as a senior.6’5 , steady as a rock but not flashy , clutch, decent passer
played great D , and made foul shots

caw

Reaction Score
His approach reminds me more of Tate George than anyone .
Tate was vastly underrated as a senior.6’5 , steady as a rock but not flashy , clutch, decent passer
played great D , and made foul shots

Him or Doron (minus the three quarters court chest pass)

2009 is an interesting comparison especially if you mess with lineups:

Thabeet : Clingan
Adrien : Sanogo
Sticks : AJax
Dyson : Hawkins
Price : Newton

Kemba : Diarra
Edwards: Karaban
Austrie : Joey
Beverly : Alleyne

Reaction Score
This is the first year since Hurley has been here that wasn’t flawed from a makeup standpoint. It was either no backup primary ball handler, no decent backup center, injuries, and a combination of any of those. This year, we cam have 2 guys have a bad night and still win convincingly. The portal allowed the staff to build a team in a single off-season rather than 4.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yet to play a lock down perimeter defensive team or one that can go off from 3. Let's settle down. This team has a lot of talent and showed up a racked Alabama squad with some NBA talent that is currently toe to toe with soon to be former #1 UNC.

We're good, we have an identity after only a handful of games, we have difference makers all over the roster, we should get better and we can play multiple styles if necessary. Let's woah down on the UConn Mount Rushmore comparisons, especially when the closest comps are to teams in the mid late 90's that didn't win even though they were favored.

Edit: I've decided 92-93 is the best fit. 1 clear NBA difference maker and a bunch of future NBA bench players plus some young guys who potentially have a higher ceiling than we can expect this season.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
We gotta remember that both those teams lost many games along the way as they developed. 11' BE was a bear. 14' just got on a run but at the right time. Defense was key for both.
And both teams hit their FREE THROWS at 80%+ just like this team

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom