2008 club: 24-9 | The Boneyard

2008 club: 24-9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
is current club similar to that club which lost in round 1? or similar to 2012 club (20-14) which lost in round 1?

Reaction Score
dumb post.

I was thinking more along the lines of the 2011 team who went 9-9 in conference, and then wrote history.

Really?? We just lost by almost 35 points; our worst loss since 1992. And this is similar to 2011? I appreciate the optimism, but try a dose of reality as well.

I would say 2008 is a good comparison. AJP and Bazz are similar, although AJ was more of a pg and bazz is a better scorer. Both had inconsistent supporting casts. The difference is, 2008 got hot late and ended up with a 3 seed. Unless we win the AAC tourney, we aren't getting a 3. The way we've been playing, Id say that's unlikely.

Reaction Score
Really?? We just lost by almost 35 points; our worst loss since 1992. And this is similar to 2011? I appreciate the optimism, but try a dose of reality as well.

I would say 2008 is a good comparison. AJP and Bazz are similar, although AJ was more of a pg and bazz is a better scorer. Both had inconsistent supporting casts. The difference is, 2008 got hot late and ended up with a 3 seed. Unless we win the AAC tourney, we aren't getting a 3. The way we've been playing, Id say that's unlikely.

We were a 4 seed in 2008. Only reason we lost in the first round is because AJ tore his ACL during the game.

Reaction Score

They were a 4. They got hot late January into February, and then cooled off: lost 2 of their last 5, then their first BET game, and then the first round of the NCAAs...although that had mitigating factors.

Reaction Score
We were a 4 seed in 2008. Only reason we lost in the first round is because AJ tore his ACL during the game.

Right thanks. I got mixed up with the 2011 reference (when we were a 3). That SD loss was bad, but agreed only because AJ went down. AJ was my favorite husky ever. I remember my dad called me when I was on a ski lift two days later, to tell me he tore his ACL. That was awful news.

Reaction Score
The 2012 team was much more talented although much more underachieving. 2008 isn't a bad comparison.

Reaction Score

Do you remember the St. Johns game in 2011, I was pretty bummed about that one.

Reaction Score
The 2012 team was much more talented although much more underachieving. 2008 isn't a bad comparison.

The disappointing difference is that 2008 team was fairly young, returned everybody, and was clearly poised to be a national contender the following season. This year's team is about as veteran a team we've ever had and is losing its best player and leader, along with two other high IQ veterans.

As far as program trajectory, we're more like the 2000 team (with Bazz playing the role of the departing KEA).

Ignoring that, and just considering how well we're likely to do over the remainder of this year, 2008 may be about right.

Reaction Score
The disappointing difference is that 2008 team was fairly young, returned everybody, and was clearly poised to be a national contender the following season. This year's team is about as veteran a team we've ever had and is losing its best player and leader, along with two other high IQ veterans.

As far as program trajectory, we're more like the 2000 team (with Bazz playing the role of the departing KEA).

Ignoring that, and just considering how well we're likely to do over the remainder of this year, 2008 may be about right.

Great post. The real reason our lack of progression is so disappointing is the fact that we are an old team. Our best player is a senior. We have two good role players who are seniors (one a 5th year). And our "core" of DD and RB are both juniors. We should be getting much better, not worse as the season has gone on. People seem to keep ignoring this.

Additionally, college bball is so down this year. The lack of any great teams leaves the field wide open this year and you would think we would have a good shot if we were able to improve this year given our "great backcourt" and senior leadership.

Luckily, we have plenty of talent coming in, so all is not lost. This season is also far from over, but you would expect us to be getting much better at this point, not worse.

Reaction Score

Yes completely agree

Reaction Score

KEA left, but there was no experienced PG to take his place. Next year, we (presumably) return Boat. That steadies it a bit. Add in Purvis, who has some real game experience, and Samuel, who has learned the ropes from Bazz and Boat, and our guard situation is much better than it was in 2000. In 2000, they lost KFree, Jake, and KEA. That put a lot of pressure on Mourning and Saunders, and they weren't quite ready for it. In addition, without KEA, there wasn't really a guard who could take the ball-handling role in the way we have with Boat.

Reaction Score
this team reminds me of one of the mid 90s teams, that were good, but couldn't get over the hump. I think we will be better team next year. But as for the rest of this year.. i wont be that mad if they lose to Memphis, but i would like to see them make it out of the first weekend of the big dance.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
this team reminds me of one of the mid 90s teams, that were good, but couldn't get over the hump. I think we will be better team next year. But as for the rest of this year.. i wont be that mad if they lose to Memphis, but i would like to see them make it out of the first weekend of the big dance.
Mid 90s teams, 1994-96, went 49-5 in Big East regular season play. So that'd be nice.

Reaction Score
Ray Allen's UConn teams lost 5 games in conference. Total.
fair enough.. was thinking more of 96-98.. they went to NIT, then next year went to the elite 8, so..bad comparison. i guess a better comparison would be the 99-00 team..

Last edited:

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
is current club similar to that club which lost in round 1? or similar to 2012 club (20-14) which lost in round 1?

That '08 club had no heart. This team has some fighters on it.

Reaction Score
That '08 club had no heart. This team has some fighters on it.
???

That 08 team was the same group of players (minus Kemba) that went to the Final Four the very next year, and was a Dyson injury away from perhaps being the best team in the country. The only difference was Kemba...I love him, but Freshman Kemba didn't suddenly give those players heart.

Instead, it was because they were pretty young, with a bunch of Sophomores in key roles--and a Junior AJ who only played the year before.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
fair enough.. was thinking more of 96-98.. they went to NIT, then next year went to the elite 8, so..bad comparison. i guess a better comparison would be the 99-00 team..

Not sure that comparison works either. That team beat two 1-seeds over the course of the season and made it to the BET finals. They lost in the 2nd round because KEA was hurt.

Reaction Score
What's with the passive aggressive thread starters and posts?

You started one thread asking why a couple of powerhouse teams in the 90s didn't reach a final four.

You started another thread referencing our 2 point guards thusly: "two 6-4's flying on the break; scary; two 5-8's not so much . . . ."

You started one thread in which you wrote: "UCONN is on the outside looking in at the Power 5 . . . It looks like the Power 5 will soon squeeze UCONN even more."

You started another thread asking about UConn's legacy since 1938 starting with this: "What is the complete picture: vs. ucla, 0-1; Kansas, 0-2; North Carolina, 1-5; Kentucky ?; Indiana, ?; Louisville, 6-9; Duke, ?; Florida, 1-1;"

You posted in another thread: "Does UCONN have a shooting coach?"

You posted in another thread: "After what I saw in person in the Field House I still don't believe UCONN holds all these titles. It's a miracle."

Why don't you stop pretending to be a UConn fan, you chub face, and go find a bridge to live under, because your passive aggressive, garbage questions and quips are getting old.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
You realize you guys are actually debating a topic started by a flaming troll right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom