OT: - 2001 Jackie Stiles vs. Duke Sweet Sixteen | The Boneyard

OT: 2001 Jackie Stiles vs. Duke Sweet Sixteen

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So, I decided to watch the 2001 sweet sixteen game between Duke and Southwest Missouri State, led by Jackie Stiles. This is the 20 year anniversary. I guess I was prompted by all the praise put on freshman Paige Bueckers, and she definitely deserves it.

These are my observations on this game, which brought back memories of watching it for the first time.

• Duke, seeded number one, expected to win a NC after going to FF the year before. They had an outstanding freshman class, led by Alaana Beard, who also led the team will 17 pppg. They also had freshman Rometra Craig, football HOF Roger Craig’s daughter, 6’ 4” Iciss Tillis, Vicki Krapohl, and Crystal White. However, they managed to blow a 12 point lead, and lose by 10. Of course, Coach Gail G. gave us that deer in the headlights look. It’s always fun to watch Duke lose. But if you watch, you have to admit, Beard was a really, really good freshman player.
  • Jackie Stiles was unbelievable in this game. After averaging 47 ppg in high school, Jackie went on to set the all time NCAA scoring record, which stood for 17 years. She had an incredible array of shots, and Duke could not find a way to stop her. If you actually watch this game, you cannot honestly say that Paige is at this level, yet. Certainly Paige has more than enough potential to get there.
  • If you think officiating is bad now, just watch how bad the refs are in this game! I’ve never seen so many phantom calls. I don’t know how the girls and coaches tolerated it. Just shaking my head.
  • Also mentioned in this game: Tenn surprise loss to Xavier in the sweet 16, an early exit. Freshman Diana Taurasi led UConn with 24 points in their win over N.C. State,, hitting 6 for 8 three pointers.
So take the time to watch this game, I guarantee you will be entertained. If you do, please share your thoughts.

Reaction Score
Bueckers is at her core a pass first player. She’d rather average 15 and 10 than average 25 and 5. Stiles was a scorer first, second, and third. A brilliant scoring savant who averaged 30 points and 1.9 assists as a senior. That’s not Paige. This 21 ppg might be the most points Bueckers averages for a season, since she‘ll be looking to let Fudd and others get their share of the pie.

They are both outstanding in their own ways (Stiles was as good as anyone who ever played at getting buckets - or at least on a short list with Plum and Woodward). But they are on parallel tracks of basketball development where there’s not much to compare. If Paige abandoned the rest of her skill set to try to be a 30 ppg scorer, I think she could probably do it (or come close) ... but that‘s not her mindset, and I don’t think any of us want to see that.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
leave.gif

Reaction Score
Having seen JPMs performance it’s clear just how good GG was as a coach. But she was an absolute terrible front runner.
As an underdog they had the epic win over Tenn in 99 and ended UConns home winning streak (04?). But a bunch of disappointments as the favorite — 97 in the E8 to 9th seeded Ark, this 01 game to SMS, the smack down UConn gave them in 03 at Cameron, NC loss to MD, and losing in the S16 to Rutgers after finishing the regular season undefeated.

Reaction Score
If Paige abandoned the rest of her skill set to try to be a 30 ppg scorer, I think she could probably do it (or come close) ... but that‘s not her mindset, and I don’t think any of us want to see that.
once the sweet 16 rolls around I want to see 40 every game from her

Reaction Score
it’s not impossible she could do it. She was on her way to 40 burgers against Marquette and St. John’s if those games were closer. And she had 37 in the state championship game as a sophomore (her last loss). But tall order, of course - not everyone has the Stiles scoring DNA.

Watched some of the game in the link. I remember Stiles-mania well, but couldn’t really remember her MO. There’s some good teachable stuff in there, even for players who aren’t necessarily similar players. She was so good at using angles, and had this subtle rock back when she stopped on a dime that let her get her shot off over shot blockers. You’d think at 5-8 that she was in trouble and she’d squeeze it off anyway. She was a senior at that point so she’d perfected her art.

Reaction Score
Having seen JPMs performance it’s clear just how good GG was as a coach. But she was an absolute terrible front runner.
As an underdog they had the epic win over Tenn in 99 and ended UConns home winning streak (04?). But a bunch of disappointments as the favorite — 97 in the E8 to 9th seeded Ark, this 01 game to SMS, the smack down UConn gave them in 03 at Cameron, NC loss to MD, and losing in the S16 to Rutgers after finishing the regular season undefeated.
I vaguely remember checking score updates on the computer of that home loss, up until a drop dead point where I had to leave. When that point came, UConn was maybe up 12 with 1:30 to go and I was flabbergasted when I saw the headline hours later. DT had a couple of bad turnovers against the press and some Aussie kid bombed the winning three. We don’t lose often, but over the years we’ve created several lasting memories for opposing players who hit big shots to beat us (or tie us in the case of Stanford beating Stewie).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I mean if you highlight anyone's negatives it wont look good. The same could be done for any high profile coach when they get upset. I believe she had a winning record against both Pat and Geno when she coached at Duke (or at least .500), back when both programs were cut and dry the top 2 in the country. If the AD worked harder to keep GG at Duke I have little doubt she would've kept them as a consistent title contender.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
So, I decided to watch the 2001 sweet sixteen game between Duke and Southwest Missouri State, led by Jackie Stiles. This is the 20 year anniversary. I guess I was prompted by all the praise put on freshman Paige Bueckers, and she definitely deserves it.

These are my observations on this game, which brought back memories of watching it for the first time.

• Duke, seeded number one, expected to win a NC after going to FF the year before. They had an outstanding freshman class, led by Alaana Beard, who also led the team will 17 pppg. They also had freshman Rometra Craig, football HOF Roger Craig’s daughter, 6’ 4” Iciss Tillis, Vicki Krapohl, and Crystal White. However, they managed to blow a 12 point lead, and lose by 10. Of course, Coach Gail G. gave us that deer in the headlights look. It’s always fun to watch Duke lose. But if you watch, you have to admit, Beard was a really, really good freshman player.
  • Jackie Stiles was unbelievable in this game. After averaging 47 ppg in high school, Jackie went on to set the all time NCAA scoring record, which stood for 17 years. She had an incredible array of shots, and Duke could not find a way to stop her. If you actually watch this game, you cannot honestly say that Paige is at this level, yet. Certainly Paige has more than enough potential to get there.
  • If you think officiating is bad now, just watch how bad the refs are in this game! I’ve never seen so many phantom calls. I don’t know how the girls and coaches tolerated it. Just shaking my head.
  • Also mentioned in this game: Tenn surprise loss to Xavier in the sweet 16, an early exit. Freshman Diana Taurasi led UConn with 24 points in their win over N.C. State,, hitting 6 for 8 three pointers.
So take the time to watch this game, I guarantee you will be entertained. If you do, please share your thoughts.

Stiles NCAA performance in 2001 was unreal. The Rutgers game she took over on the road late and pulled off the upset, then torched #1 seed Duke for 41 and led her team to the Final Four which was completely unexpected. Followed it up with another big game and a group of massive underdogs to the Final Four as a senior.

That entire tournament was one of the most competitive of all time. The tournament felt wide open in a way that it almost never does. There were a lot of big upsets, standout performances, and great games.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I mean if you highlight anyone's negatives it wont look good. The same could be done for any high profile coach when they get upset. I believe she had a winning record against both Pat and Geno when she coached at Duke (or at least .500), back when both programs were cut and dry the top 2 in the country. If the AD worked harder to keep GG at Duke I have little doubt she would've kept them as a consistent title contender.
GG tried everything to try to stop Stiles. But there was another shooter, Mitchem, to deal with. she had scored 40 previously. So, GG tried a triangle and two, but that didn't work either. The next day, she said, "I probably should have tried to deny her the ball." Personally, I don't completely fault GG for Stiles going for 41 points. She was basically unstoppable. Stiles also had a fifth gear, where she was just much quicker than anyone else. It was most notable on breakaways, where someone would seem to be in position, only for Stiles to blow right by her. Paige has deceptive speed. You can see it when she runs either by or away from defenders on breakaways. As previously stated, two different type players. But don't try to tell me Geno wouldn't have loved to have her.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I think the reason some people want to see Paige shoot more, is because her teammates miss open shots when she passes to them. By all rights, Paige should have double digit assists every game, but blown shots are preventing that.

Reaction Score
During this and other games I saw Stiles that year I believed she was the best women's player I had ever seen. Why, she played a game similar to high level men players. She could shoot from the outside, drive to the basket, get her shot when she wanted. Over 50% shooting all four years I believe. Only reason she is not a household name is because of unfortunate injuries after being WNBA rookie of the year. Paige has the talent to be one of the best ever. When she gets stronger she will be unstoppable.

Reaction Score
Bueckers is at her core a pass first player. She’d rather average 15 and 10 than average 25 and 5. Stiles was a scorer first, second, and third. A brilliant scoring savant who averaged 30 points and 1.9 assists as a senior. That’s not Paige. This 21 ppg might be the most points Bueckers averages for a season, since she‘ll be looking to let Fudd and others get their share of the pie.

They are both outstanding in their own ways (Stiles was as good as anyone who ever played at getting buckets - or at least on a short list with Plum and Woodward). But they are on parallel tracks of basketball development where there’s not much to compare. If Paige abandoned the rest of her skill set to try to be a 30 ppg scorer, I think she could probably do it (or come close) ... but that‘s not her mindset, and I don’t think any of us want to see that.
Jackie Stiles had to score as much as she did in order for SWS to be successful. We found out today that Paige doesn't have to average 30.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Jackie Stiles had to score as much as she did in order for SWS to be successful. We found out today that Paige doesn't have to average 30.
We weren't playing a #1 seed, either.

Reaction Score
We weren't playing a #1 seed, either.
No, that was not a 1 seed we played. The entire team needed only 33 points to win today. I would say we learned little to nothing today.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
No, that was not a 1 seed we played. The entire team needed only 33 points to win today. I would say we learned little to nothing today.
I think we learned this UConn team does not play down to it's competition.:)

Reaction Score
I liked the game where Marissa Coleman from Maryland scored 42 against Vanderbilt and willed them to the win. One of my faves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom