20 head coaches who’ll be hot commodities... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

20 head coaches who’ll be hot commodities...

Reaction Score
The idea that past results are an indication of future success when changing coaches and leagues is absurd. For both Pitt and UCONN.

And perhaps UCONN will be Tulsa, WSU and Cincy’s bitch going forward, I hope not, but there’s no telling.

Reaction Score
While Pitt has no NC's, they have a pretty good basketball pedigree; the Jamie Dixon years are not that far removed. I think it's an interesting debate as to which job is better right now - Pitt or UConn.....the ACC or the AAC.... A big question is Pitt's commitment to their program if they are willing to move on from Stallings at this point it would indicate they are ready to re-energize the program which sounds just like us..... One could make the case that Pitt's pedigree goes back further than us if you consider the Billy Knight/Mickey Martin days, the Charles Smith/Jerome Lane days, the Dixon era..... Our pedigree is relatively young if you think about it. I think it would be fun to watch both programs re-boot & get on with it.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
While Pitt has no NC's, they have a pretty good basketball pedigree; the Jamie Dixon years are not that far removed. I think it's an interesting debate as to which job is better right now - Pitt or UConn.....the ACC or the AAC.... A big question is Pitt's commitment to their program if they are willing to move on from Stallings at this point it would indicate they are ready to re-energize the program which sounds just like us..... One could make the case that Pitt's pedigree goes back further than us if you consider the Billy Knight/Mickey Martin days, the Charles Smith/Jerome Lane days, the Dixon era..... Our pedigree is relatively young if you think about it. I think it would be fun to watch both programs re-boot & get on with it.

i'd like to start playing them again.

god those were some fun years.

Reaction Score
The idea that past results are an indication of future success when changing coaches and leagues is absurd. For both Pitt and UCONN.

And perhaps UCONN will be Tulsa, WSU and Cincy’s bitch going forward, I hope not, but there’s no telling.
I'm not arguing that they will achieve the same success, I'm simply saying that a coach good enough to get UConn into the top 5-10 is good enough to get Pitt into the top 5-10.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Look, I know the AAC doesn't have the name recognition that the ACC does or even the Big East, but if UConn were back to being good, it'd be a very good conference at the top. Cincy, WSU, Houston, SMU are very good, Temple, Memphis Tulsa are fine. The bottom part of the conference is pretty terrible, but not the end of the world. If UConn is good, that's roughly 5-6 at large bids for the conference. That's a lot.

Reaction Score
Another article on ESPN about coaches on the hot seat. I don't know what BY policy is on Insider articles so I won't post the excerpt but they say he is "Odds in favor of being fired" and includes Ernie Kent of Washington State, Dave Leitao of DePaul, and Kevin Ollie. And again incorrectly cites that UConn would not have made the NCAA tournament in 2016 if not for the 70 ft Adams shot, which is dumb.

The article has Stallings one level lower on the hot seat -- "Could go either way"

Source: Who's up, who's down in the coaches' Hot Seat Index?

Reaction Score
I'm not arguing that they will achieve the same success, I'm simply saying that a coach good enough to get UConn into the top 5-10 is good enough to get Pitt into the top 5-10.

I know I’m on your side of the conversation.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I think the UConn vs. Pitt debate is much closer to 50/50. The arguments for and against both so far seem pretty equal. UConn has 4 titles and Pitt is in the ACC. @WingU-Conn makes the point that if you're confident in your coaching abilities then you think you can win at either place. As for Pitt being a bitch to tabasco(I've been there a few times and it's delicious) road I think UConn and Calhoun at one point were thought of as bitches to Gtown, Cuse, St. Johns. I think the biggest question for Hurley(or any new hire) would be his relationship with the AD and the administration. That's a big part of why Dixon left Pitt because they got a new Chancellor and AD.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Isn't the argument that Pitt prospered off of NYC kids due to the Big East and now that they are in the ACC they've had to change their recruiting base to NC/VA/etc ?

Reaction Score
Ollie will be the coach next season, get use to it. We're only wasting our time with all these dicussions as to who his replacement will be next season.

Reaction Score
Isn't the argument that Pitt prospered off of NYC kids due to the Big East and now that they are in the ACC they've had to change their recruiting base to NC/VA/etc ?
Yes. Then again, a similar argument could be made for UConn.

Ultimately the fact that Hurley is a northeast guy is not super important for either of these jobs. Pitt and UConn are northeast schools in mostly southern conferences.

Reaction Score
Not really. Under Ollie we got Facey (NY player of the year, top 100 recruit), Samuel (decent 3-star), Larrier (top 40 national recruit), Mamadou (high 3-star/low 4-star), Vital (high 3-star) and Sid Wilson (top 75 national recruit).

We haven't been at our best recruiting NYC, but certainly good enough to be at or near the top of the AAC. A competent head coach would have us there.

Reaction Score
I couldn’t disagree more.

The stage is commensurate to brand and the UConn basketball brand is much stronger than Pitt.

UConn also has more resources (in terms of brand equity) commensurate to its conference partners than Pitt.

There are levels in every conference and Pitt is not set up to win that conference.

If you don’t think that matters, you’re wrong. UConn has recruited blue chippers in the AAC and has won a Natty in the AAC. The recent tailspin after the coaching shake up doesn’t change those facts.

The AAC is High Major as well, so just get the job done on the court and the rest will follow. The players know they can WIN at UConn and go to the NBA.

Don’t even try to say that winning and tradition doesn’t matter. It does.
The AAC is not a high major and won't be in consideration until/if UConn is the dominant team 4 out of 5 years. We can drag the conference up. Now we drag it down.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ollie will be the coach next season, get use to it. We're only wasting our time with all these dicussions as to who his replacement will be next season.
J

I felt exactly as you did until very recently. After a conversation yesterday (sorry, can't name drop) it became clear that KO has to now do something pretty spectacular over the remainder of the season to have a chance at coming back. It doesn't look good in terms of his return.

For the record, this is a considerable change from how things appeared a few weeks back.

Reaction Score
Not really. Under Ollie we got Facey (NY player of the year, top 100 recruit), Samuel (decent 3-star), Larrier (top 40 national recruit), Mamadou (high 3-star/low 4-star), Vital (high 3-star) and Sid Wilson (top 75 national recruit).

We haven't been at our best recruiting NYC, but certainly good enough to be at or near the top of the AAC. A competent head coach would have us there.
I know we've still had success with NY recruiting but my point is that our next coach does not need to be a northeast guy to have success here.

Its surprising to me and impressive that we can still recruit NY at the level we do. Its another argument why this job is way better than Pitt.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

They had an assistant that had great contacts in NYC. He left Pitt a year ot two before Dixon left, IIRC. That was the beginning of the end.

Reaction Score
J

I felt exactly as you did until very recently. After a conversation yesterday (sorry, can't name drop) it became clear that KO has to now do something pretty spectacular over the remainder of the season to have a chance at coming back. It doesn't look good in terms of his return.

For the record, this is a considerable change from how things appeared a few weeks back.
I uderstand where you're coming from but they will give him 1 more season after this. The talent on the team he had this season had no chance to succeed. If they were going to make a change it should have been done prior to this season after the mass exodus and failure to secure a commitment from Diallo and MAL.

Reaction Score
What Jamie Dixon did (and from the Ben Howland playbook) was get NYC / Jersey kids to Pitt. That’s not easily reprocated.

Stallings was an incredibly odd choice given that key. Pitt fans will explain this to you. Now that they are in the Southeast-centric Hoop conference, it’s far tougher.

I do think UConn/Calhoun can be UConn/Calhoun again. We still can get the NYC kids & the emergence of Prep schools near Campus is just a better part of that story.

Money? It won’t be easy.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Ultimately the fact that Hurley is a northeast guy is not super important for either of these jobs. Pitt and UConn are northeast schools in mostly southern conferences.
Makes one think there oughtta be a northeastern conference. Oh wait...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's not as difficult to recruit to the AAC as people make out. You don't need monster classes. It comes down to identifying the RIGHT guys for your system, and then coaching them up. You don't need Top 10 players. You just need good coaching and identification of the right players. Look at the class rankings of TEAM X below.

From 247
2015 - 29
2014 - 48
2013 - 36
2012 - 27

From ESPN
2015 - 24
2014 - 37
2013 - 31
2012 - >25

That team is Villanova. Those classes led to a NC. They are currently #3 in the nation. Their 2016 class rankings were 45 and 33 respectively

You don't think UCONN can achieve those class rankings?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Land Grant State School >>>> City School
AAC<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<ACC
Werth Center >>>>>> Pitts facilities.
4 natties >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> they did pretty well in the ACC.

UConn is a much better coaching gig than Pitt.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
They had an assistant that had great contacts in NYC. He left Pitt a year ot two before Dixon left, IIRC. That was the beginning of the end.
Ah right, I vaguely remember that guy but his name slips my mind (it was something like "Slice" or w/e), think he ended up on the St. John's staff for a while.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom