20 head coaches who’ll be hot commodities... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

20 head coaches who’ll be hot commodities...

Reaction Score
I uderstand where you're coming from but they will give him 1 more season after this. The talent on the team he had this season had no chance to succeed. If they were going to make a change it should have been done prior to this season after the mass exodus and failure to secure a commitment from Diallo and MAL.
How can you watch game after game of terrible basketball and think KO will return as head coach next season? He doesn't even look like he wants to be here anymore.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Something else to consider. I doubt we’d pay KOs buyout unless we’re willing to also pay for a “big time” coach. Why bother going small? May as well give Ollie one more year, unless you’ve identified the next Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Here's their tournament appearances since 2000 for you....
2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016
The kids graduating high school this year grew up seeing Pitt in the NCAA tourney more often than not.

That's Big East and ACC. Pitt isn't "UConn". But UConn isn't "UConn" anymore. UConn will never be a destination for top recruits. And winning there, in the ACC, would make recruiting easier. It's a program that has been a perennial tournament team for 2 decades. That's not to say they've matched UConn, but a team that has been in the NCAA tourney nearly every year, playing in the Big East and ACC, that gets to play on ESPN network against UNC, Duke, etc, etc, rather than buried on the CBS Sports Network is easier to recruit to.

Remember when half that top 10 class left? Remember what our classes have been ranked since then? Recruiting is easier at Pitt, and when you prove you know what you're doing, you're going to get better and better recruits.

I don't understand why you think this guy (who I want at UConn) can overcome the challenges facing us, but not Pitt. He's good enough to win at both schools, bottom line. And Pitt has a much bigger stage, can attract higher caliber recruits, and thanks to conference affiliation, is a much more stable long-term job.
Easy- UConn with one good season is back. Uconn has to beat Memphis, Cincy, Houston, Temple, and maybe Tulsa or SMU. We recruit out of the most fertile bb territory (aka Our back yard.

Pitt competes against Duke, UNC, Syracuse, UVA, Miami, et all. That's a tough grind. And Pitt is a FB school first. Win at UConn, the state is yours.

UConn had an unprecedented run in coaching with JC and GA. Unlikely we'll see that again. But where else have you seen two bb NC's in same year let alone twice.

Also, don't undersell uconns schedule. Sure it's not the big east, but JC never believed in this type of OOC. UConn pretty much plays an elite ooc schedule so the visibility is there. Just need to get back to winning.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Land Grant State School >>>> City School
AAC<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<ACC
Werth Center >>>>>> Pitts facilities.
4 natties >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> they did pretty well in the ACC.

UConn is a much better coaching gig than Pitt.
While UConn may yet be a better basketball coaching gig than Pitt, the Land Grant State School vs. City School comparison you offer sells Pitt short. It's an AAU member, with a huge research profile, an endowment that dwarfs UConn's, and a connection to its city, state, and region that combines private status & state-affiliation toward beneficial partnership with multiple stakeholders in ways that other schools seek to emulate. That doesn't address the northern school in a southern conference conundrum, but as noted both schools share that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ah right, I vaguely remember that guy but his name slips my mind (it was something like "Slice" or w/e), think he ended up on the St. John's staff for a while.

Barry Slice Rohrrson. He's bounced all over. Was even at UK for a bit with Cal. Pretty much a hired gun recruiter. Dunno where he is now...too lazy to look up.

Reaction Score
Barry Slice Rohrrson. He's bounced all over. Was even at UK for a bit with Cal. Pretty much a hired gun recruiter. Dunno where he is now...too lazy to look up.
He was last with the Johnnies, don't think he's anywhere now.

Reaction Score
I'm 100% certain that coaches evaluating the potential jobs at UConn vs Pitt are having their agents give them a breakdown of the advantages of coaching at a Land Grant school vs. City school.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm 100% certain that coaches evaluating the potential jobs at UConn vs Pitt are having their agents give them a breakdown of the advantages of coaching at a Land Grant school vs. City school.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Before or after reviewing course selection options for the student athletes?

Reaction Score
Easy- UConn with one good season is back. Uconn has to beat Memphis, Cincy, Houston, Temple, and maybe Tulsa or SMU. We recruit out of the most fertile bb territory (aka Our back yard.

Pitt competes against Duke, UNC, Syracuse, UVA, Miami, et all. That's a tough grind. And Pitt is a FB school first. Win at UConn, the state is yours.

UConn had an unprecedented run in coaching with JC and GA. Unlikely we'll see that again. But where else have you seen two bb NC's in same year let alone twice.

Also, don't undersell uconns schedule. Sure it's not the big east, but JC never believed in this type of OOC. UConn pretty much plays an elite ooc schedule so the visibility is there. Just need to get back to winning.

I could repeat my argument again, but you wouldn't read it, and you'd still be wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom