2 Seed Discussion on ATH Today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2 Seed Discussion on ATH Today

Reaction Score
ND is very good this season. They have height shooters rebounding. Their defense isnt as great as in the past however they score alot of points. Baylor has the height and are domin8 down low with that height. They dont score like ND. A team like ND can score alot of points and will give Baylor a huge challenge.

I've watched a lot of ND games and though it looks like they aren't as good on defense, that's not really true. They are smart on defense which means the bigs underneath the basket will sometimes allow a layup to avoid fouling. They know their bench isn't deep so they have to be careful and they know they can usually outscore opponents but can't do that if they are on the bench. Doesn't work as well against teams like UCONN and Miami. I'm sure Muffet will make adjustments when they get deeper into the tournament.

Also, they score so quickly, rarely using even half the shot clock, which allows more shot opportunities for their opponents. A good portion of their points come from transition and you don't get transition without good defense and rebounding. Brianna Turner is one of the best shot blockers in the nation and nobody runs the court like her fit a center.

Reaction Score
I've watched a lot of ND games and though it looks like they aren't as good on defense, that's not really true. They are smart on defense which means the bigs underneath the basket will sometimes allow a layup to avoid fouling. They know their bench isn't deep so they have to be careful and they know they can usually outscore opponents but can't do that if they are on the bench. Doesn't work as well against teams like UCONN and Miami. I'm sure Muffet will make adjustments when they get deeper into the tournament.

Also, they score so quickly, rarely using even half the shot clock, which allows more shot opportunities for their opponents. A good portion of their points come from transition and you don't get transition without good defense and rebounding. Brianna Turner is one of the best shot blockers in the nation and nobody runs the court like her fit a center.
Idk if there is a PF or Center that is as quick as Turner. There might be. But she’s for sure one of the faster ones and one of the only ones that can go out and guard a guard.

Reaction Score
Idk if there is a PF or Center that is as quick as Turner. There might be. But she’s for sure one of the faster ones and one of the only ones that can go out and guard a guard.

Yeah I forgot how fast she gets up and down the court while she was out last year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And with Jackie Young they avenged their loss to North Carolina in the ACC tourny by beating them by 18.
Oh wow, congratulations. By all means, let's all be impressed that Notre Dame beat a team that probably wouldn't even be in the tournament if ND hadn't pooped the bed against them the first time.

Reaction Score
Oh wow, congratulations. By all means, let's all be impressed that Notre Dame beat a team that probably wouldn't even be in the tournament if ND hadn't pooped the bed against them the first time.
Never said You had to be impressed.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Never said You had to be impressed.
You just said, and I quote: "I get that all I’m saying is I think ND avenging that loss should count for something."

Count for something? Hooray, ND avoided losing to North Carolina twice.

1553146378510.png

Reaction Score
You just said, and I quote: "I get that all I’m saying is I think ND avenging that loss should count for something."

Count for something? Hooray, ND avoided losing to North Carolina twice.

View attachment 41164
Where did I say anyone had to be impressed tho I didn’t.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
ND lost a game without Jackie Young, LVille lost to ND with 2 injuries during the game. No excuse just facts saying that both teams may have won those game if healthy. UConn played the AAC tourney and a game of two without Lou and won all those games. Yes AAC may be less talented then other teams but they did it. The non starters stepped up big time as did Phessa. When I look at the NCAA tourney UConn looks the most improved of any of the top teams. UConn and Miss St have the best defenses of the top 6 teams. With that said I dont see UConn loosing unless they have injuries or foul trouble which they did in the previous 2 FFs. IMO a team like UConn that doesnt foul and is called for 20 more fouls then ND again and again should be looked at by the NCAA.
NCAA looking into bad officiating, that is like looking into a mirror. Good laugh to start my day. Last year's final four is the worst officiating ever. MSU also got jobbed.

Reaction Score

UNC is a 9 seed so I don't think their win over ND is the only thing that got them in the tournament. They won 18 games this season. Not great but not terrible, either. ND had a bad loss. It's not the end of the world. They had A LOT more really good wins. I'm pretty sure nobody thought Virginia didn't belong as a #1 seed last year when they got knocked out in the first round. They didn't take their opponent seriously and the other team played out of their minds. That's why it's called an upset.

Reaction Score
NCAA looking into bad officiating, that is like looking into a mirror. Good laugh to start my day. Last year's final four is the worst officiating ever. MSU also got jobbed.

A lot of teams got jobbed but a few didn’t.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
You can go around and around on SOS, RPI etc etc but the committee made a fool of themselves by saying it was due to some of those factors and then placed Miss St as 1 seed. Using those factors IMO would only possibly help with who they give lower seeds and bids too, and they even messed that up with Tenn. You cannot have it both ways. The funny thing is they should have just said it was due to injury, Uconn being the one which could affect them the most, which personally is why I think they did it, but they didn't have the balls to say it.

The NCAA only cares about dollars and who and what gives them the most dollars. They have been making decisions NOT based on rules or facts openly for several years now. The Shepard decision last year, the AO decision regarding money when they would not allow the swimmer at Stanford, sorry cannot remember her name. One thing I immediately thought of was whether leagues like the AAC would challenge the NCAA or in some other fashion, as the comment regarding conference strength is not in the hands of the individual team. Once a team has won the conference, the strength has nothing to do with it. How can they honestly say a conference strength is used against teams. This could have ramifications if independent teams started to pop up and decided to create their own national schedule and tournament. Jay Bilas would be front and center putting down the NCAA and what he argues as their corruption.

Reaction Score
You can go around and around on SOS, RPI etc etc but the committee made a fool of themselves by saying it was due to some of those factors and then placed Miss St as 1 seed. Using those factors IMO would only possibly help with who they give lower seeds and bids too, and they even messed that up with Tenn. You cannot have it both ways. The funny thing is they should have just said it was due to injury, Uconn being the one which could affect them the most, which personally is why I think they did it, but they didn't have the balls to say it.

The NCAA only cares about dollars and who and what gives them the most dollars. They have been making decisions NOT based on rules or facts openly for several years now. The Shepard decision last year, the AO decision regarding money when they would not allow the swimmer at Stanford, sorry cannot remember her name. One thing I immediately thought of was whether leagues like the AAC would challenge the NCAA or in some other fashion, as the comment regarding conference strength is not in the hands of the individual team. Once a team has won the conference, the strength has nothing to do with it. How can they honestly say a conference strength is used against teams. This could have ramifications if independent teams started to pop up and decided to create their own national schedule and tournament. Jay Bilas would be front and center putting down the NCAA and what he argues as their corruption.

I really do not understand how they make decisions on granting immediate eligibility for transfers. Obviously, we likely do not have all the facts that are submitted for review. But an example where ND was screwed was last year when they denied a transfer from Navy to be able to play football immediately. He transferred because the Navy changed their rules regarding cadets being able to declare for the NFL draft without having to serve in the military. Alohi Gilman wanted to have that opportunity and when he found out he wouldn't if he stayed at the Academy he requested a transfer. Fast forward to this year, both Justin Fields and Martell Tate were granted immediate eligibility and Shea Patterson last season. From what I understand they all transferred due to lack of playing time or that they had been "promised" the starting job. Tate probably got it because his coach left even though everyone knows he didn't want to compete with Fields.

I don't know why Shepard got granted a waiver but can you really begrudge ND that? Yeah they won the NC but that was probably the most difficult NC any team has ever won. They had 4 players, 2 starters including their starting PG, with ACL tears and only had 1 sub for 3/4 of the year. If Shepard hadn't been able to play, they wouldn't have had any subs.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I don't know why Shepard got granted a waiver but can you really begrudge ND that? Yeah they won the NC but that was probably the most difficult NC any team has ever won. They had 4 players, 2 starters including their starting PG, with ACL tears and only had 1 sub for 3/4 of the year. If Shepard hadn't been able to play, they wouldn't have had any subs.
Boo hoo, let's all feel sorry for Notre Dame, as if nobody has ever had to deal with injuries before. Shepard's waiver approval was a completely undeserved gift, along with the dubious officiating that handed them the win in the title game.

Very misleading to say "2 starters," btw. Thompson was not a starter. Turner's injury happened in the previous year's postseason, so ND knew the entire offseason she'd be unavailable.

Compare that to what's happened to NC State this year. Lost a starter just before the season started, leaving them minimal time to adapt. Lost two more starters and a key bench player during the season.

Please don't come barking up this tree for sympathy.

Reaction Score
Boo hoo, let's all feel sorry for Notre Dame, as if nobody has ever had to deal with injuries before. Shepard's waiver approval was a completely undeserved gift, along with the dubious officiating that handed them the win in the title game.

Very misleading to say "2 starters," btw. Thompson was not a starter. Turner's injury happened in the previous year's postseason, so ND knew the entire offseason she'd be unavailable.

Compare that to what's happened to NC State this year. Lost a starter just before the season started, leaving them minimal time to adapt. Lost two more starters and a key bench player during the season.

Thanks,I love this.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I really do not understand how they make decisions on granting immediate eligibility for transfers. Obviously, we likely do not have all the facts that are submitted for review. But an example where ND was screwed was last year when they denied a transfer from Navy to be able to play football immediately. He transferred because the Navy changed their rules regarding cadets being able to declare for the NFL draft without having to serve in the military. Alohi Gilman wanted to have that opportunity and when he found out he wouldn't if he stayed at the Academy he requested a transfer. Fast forward to this year, both Justin Fields and Martell Tate were granted immediate eligibility and Shea Patterson last season. From what I understand they all transferred due to lack of playing time or that they had been "promised" the starting job. Tate probably got it because his coach left even though everyone knows he didn't want to compete with Fields.

Either something is a rule or it’s not. Picking and choosing when to follow the rules implies favoritism.

Why the rudeness? We can disagree without being disagreeable

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom