2 Roster Additions | The Boneyard

2 Roster Additions

Reaction Score
I didn't want to further clutter up a thread on an individual recruit. The skinny: 2 spots open. Martin likely committing today. A wink from Matrim re Nolley. A cryptic message from Chief that he chose to put in the Sanogo thread for a reason. NCAA likely deferring immediate transfer eligibility for a year. Lack of spring classes for 2020 seniors and potential reclass players potentially threatening their immediate academic eligibility, (not thinking Jackson or Ferguson). Most other targets/potential targets spoken for. Doubts about Martin offset by trust in Hurley remarks in other threads. Nolley 3 years eligibility but perceives himself as a pro sooner per reports. Martin 2 years eligibility. Nolley & Martin as a duo means a short roster for next season, but built in replacements for any defection to the pros by Bouknight or Jackson at the end of next season. Good news on Sanogo could mean as a reclass to 2020, or, as our first 2021 commitment. Martin & Nolley have some overlap, but at a versatile position. What's your call?

My preferences are also influenced by the fact that I'm not very excited about 2021 recruits but I love lots of 2022 kids and want 5 scholarships available somehow for that year. Clingan (C), karaban (F), 3 guards from amongst (Zion Cruz, Kyle Cuffe Jr, Corey Floyd, Elijah Perkins, Javonte Bowman), with Riley Mulvey (C) if we miss on Clingan.
I also am not very interested in adding 2 players that sit out 2020-2021 AND shorten the number of scholarship available for the 2022 class.

Therefore, I want Martin immediately eligible to give us depth this year, cushion re Bouknight, and frees up the 2022 scholarship. It doesn't seem it will play out that way in terms of eligibility so I also want Sanogo as an impact 2020-2021 player, and would thus have to forego Nolley that I like better than Martin. I would still be crossing my fingers that Sanogo becomes academically eligible for next year. A scenario of both Martin and Nolley with Sanogo for 2021is better, especially if we have any shot at getting 1 eligible for next season.

Reaction Score
I cannot be the only one thinking we cannot go into next season with only 10 healthy guys, 1 of them being Javonte Brown Ferguson which most people are not expecting much out of as a freshman. One injury and we’re essentially down to 8. That can’t happen again. I don’t see a scenario where we can take both Martin and Nolley. No way we fill both open scholarships with guys who can’t play. This squad has the potential to do something special with one more piece..let’s not mess that up by not getting that one more piece.

Reaction Score
I cannot be the only one thinking we cannot go into next season with only 10 healthy guys, 1 of them being Javonte Brown Ferguson which most people are not expecting much out of as a freshman. One injury and we’re essentially down to 8. That can’t happen again. I don’t see a scenario where we can take both Martin and Nolley. No way we fill both open scholarships with guys who can’t play. This squad has the potential to do something special with one more piece..let’s not mess that up by not getting that one more piece.
Who is that one more piece out there? The NCAA delaying the start of this rule screwed up the off season

Reaction Score
I dont think Nolley will sit out again. If that's the case, depending on NCAA ruling obviously, he'll just declare pro. Again, this is why I felt Vaughn was a really strong option for us.

Reaction Score
Who is that one more piece out there? The NCAA delaying the start of this rule screwed up the off season

It WAS Vaughn. But I'd lean Sanogo or Etienne. Landing one of them would allow Whaley to slide into his natural 4 position and also allows Polley to play the 3. With Sanogo or Etienne we'd have:
PG: Cole, Gaffney
SG: Bouknight, Adams
SF: Jackson, Polley
PF: Whaley, Springs
C: Sanogo/Etienne, Carlton, Ferguson

If we miss out on Etienne/Sanogo, we're weak at the 5. Whaley would be playing major minutes at C and Polley at PF, neither of which is ideal.

Reaction Score
We take Martin and Nolley, and of someone wants to reclass we make room. Gives us flexibility to medical redshirt Polley or Akok if they’re behind on rehab. Also if VT can fill up their scholarships Nolley will likely get a waiver like Grimes did and if Polley, Akok both on good trajectory we can redshirt Martin and work on his shot

Reaction Score

Agreed, like I said in another post, there's no way so many "Sit 1" transfers would have left their schools if there wasn't solid information the rule change was going to pass and go into immediate effect. Hoping there is still some leeway here and if we take a guy like Nolley, we feel confident in an exception.

We cannot go into next season with 3 out of 13 scholarships going to sit out transfers or injured players. That's not even counting Polley coming off his ACL. Javonte Brown Ferguson does not seem ready to contribute day 1; we'd be extremely thin once again with essentially 9 playable guys until Akok comes back (if he does).

Something I was thinking about last night. This may be unprecedented and potentially unethical, but say we take both Martin and Nolley....technically we wouldn't have another available scholarship. But could we still recruit Sanogo to come here in the fall and push an already signed incoming freshman to instead go to prep school for a year, since Sanogo seems more ready to contribute day 1? And then that recruit becomes part of our 2021 class?

Reaction Score
I dont think Nolley will sit out again. If that's the case, depending on NCAA ruling obviously, he'll just declare pro. Again, this is why I felt Vaughn was a really strong option for us.
This is what I was thinking. And what I think Hurley is thinking. Can’t depend on Nolley any longer with the rule delay. And if Hurley like Martin more than Vaughn, I’m rocking

Reaction Score
This is what I was thinking. And what I think Hurley is thinking. Can’t depend on Nolley any longer with the rule delay. And if Hurley like Martin more than Vaughn, I’m rocking
Sanogo and Nolley timetable seem to be similar. If Nolley is eligible he's option A. If not, go all in for Sanogo.

Reaction Score
We take Martin and Nolley, and of someone wants to reclass we make room. Gives us flexibility to medical redshirt Polley or Akok if they’re behind on rehab. Also if VT can fill up their scholarships Nolley will likely get a waiver like Grimes did and if Polley, Akok both on good trajectory we can redshirt Martin and work on his shot

There is no "room" to be made. He's not kicking Akok out recovering from an Achilles, or Tyler from a knee. While many here would like to see Carlton forced out, I've seen nothing that makes me think that we're clearing out a rising senior who has been a perfect citizen and still has the potential to help the team next year more than all but a handful of bigs who would come in as year-early true freshmen.

Unless you have any idea how room would be made, and the coaches would really consider it, why would you raise it?

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is no "room" to be made. He's not kicking Akok out recovering from an Achilles, or Tyler from a knee. While many here would like to see Carlton forced out, I've seen nothing that makes me think that we're clearing out a rising senior who has been a perfect citizen and still has the potential to help the team next year than all but a handful of bigs who would come in as year-early true freshmen.

Unless you have any idea how room would be made, and the coaches would really consider it, why would you raise it?

He seems to be under the mistaken impression that a medical redshirt frees up a a scholarship.

As with others like @JimHurley I am not comfortable with more than one of these two open spots going to a transfer who has to sit. I also don't want them both to be guards/wings. I'm looking for post offense/post defense/rebounding. I am hopeful that Carlton will be more the Josh of two seasons ago rather than last year.

Reaction Score
There's no room to make. You've said that in multiple threads but I don't think you even know what you're saying. How would we "make room".

No one else is leaving the program. Adams is Hurley's guy. And he's continuing to develop. And I don't think Hurley would run off any player he's had here that committed to him and the program the last two years and only has 1 year left to play.

And a red shirt doesn't make room like someone had to clarify for you in the other thread!

Reaction Score
Actually wouldn't it be worse than that or is my math wrong? If they take 2 transfers who aren't eligible to play next season then that's 11 guys who can play. 2 of those are Akok and Polley which are unknowns at this moment, so that's 9 healthy guys. 1 of which is Javonte Brown Ferguson (which I really can't speculate if he's ready or not).

That sounds too risky. I'm sure Hurley is figuring the same unless he's 100% certain Polley will be ready to start the season and will be back completely as before, which is always a risk with someone coming back from a major injury. Many players come back but the first year back they don't look the same as before the injury.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Actually wouldn't it be worse than that or is my math wrong? If they take 2 transfers who aren't eligible to play next season then that's 11 guys who can play. 2 of those are Akok and Polley which are unknowns at this moment, so that's 9 healthy guys. 1 of which is Javonte Brown Ferguson (which I really can't speculate if he's ready or not).

That sounds too risky. I'm sure Hurley is figuring the same unless he's 100% certain Polley will be ready to start the season and will be back completely as before, which is always a risk with someone coming back from a major injury. Many players come back but the first year back they don't look the same as before the injury.
Hurley said Polley will be ready for the start of the season.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Wish List

2020: Martin, Nolley
2021: Sallis, Etienne, Sanogo

What if.. the possible lineup is so talented I don't want to list out a hypothetical depth chart.

Those guys replaceing Polley, Carlton, Whaley, and possibly Bouknight. Plus a fully recovered Akok.

Reaction Score
Agreed, like I said in another post, there's no way so many "Sit 1" transfers would have left their schools if there wasn't solid information the rule change was going to pass and go into immediate effect. Hoping there is still some leeway here and if we take a guy like Nolley, we feel confident in an exception.

We cannot go into next season with 3 out of 13 scholarships going to sit out transfers or injured players. That's not even counting Polley coming off his ACL. Javonte Brown Ferguson does not seem ready to contribute day 1; we'd be extremely thin once again with essentially 9 playable guys until Akok comes back (if he does).

Something I was thinking about last night. This may be unprecedented and potentially unethical, but say we take both Martin and Nolley....technically we wouldn't have another available scholarship. But could we still recruit Sanogo to come here in the fall and push an already signed incoming freshman to instead go to prep school for a year, since Sanogo seems more ready to contribute day 1? And then that recruit becomes part of our 2021 class?

This makes no sense...which incoming freshman would you "push" to a prep school?? And don't you think that sleazy nonsense would possibly sour Hurley's reputation with future recruits.

Reaction Score
This makes no sense...which incoming freshman would you "push" to a prep school?? And don't you think that sleazy nonsense would possibly sour Hurley's reputation with future recruits.

There’s an obvious candidate, and I think if you go about it the right way, it could be possible. I was simply asking if there was precedent for that, however...trying to think outside the box. If you don’t think we’ve recruited over guys in our own classes before, you haven’t always paid attention.

Reaction Score
Wish List

2020: Martin, Nolley
2021: Sallis, Etienne, Sanogo

What if.. the possible lineup is so talented I don't want to list out a hypothetical depth chart.

Those guys replaceing Polley, Carlton, Whaley, and possibly Bouknight. Plus a fully recovered Akok.
Clingan isn't coming here if we sign 2 bigs in '21. Sanogo or Johnson will likely fill our last scholarship for next season. I'm fine with either.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
We aren't getting both Sanogo and Etienne for '22.

We need to get Sanogo for '20.

I don’t see why not, especially if either can split time at the 4 spot. UNC just signed two top 25 Centers(#11 Day’Ron Sharpe & #14 Walker Kessler) for 2020 and we have spots with Whaley and Carlton graduating.

Only true center will be Javonte Brown Ferguson who is the same age as Etienne and Sanogo and is considered more of a project than either.

Probably would be out on Clingan but I don’t think recruiting two elite centers in the same class is out of the question.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
having trouble squaring these 2 posts myself...
It means that a vague comment has two chances of coming true. I hear good news in the near future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom