2-pt shooting % currently ranked 244th in NCAA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2-pt shooting % currently ranked 244th in NCAA

Reaction Score
Gonzaga plays in a mid major conference against severely inferior competition. You can’t really use them as a barometer. We would easily shoot 10% points higher if we got to play Pacific, Loyola Marymount, Santa Clara etc….
Although to be fair, the WCC is stronger than it usually is this year. St. Marys, as usual, but also San Fran, Santa Clara, and BYU are all decent teams with fringe tourney hopes.

Reaction Score
You can win a lot of games with great defense, especially with an athletic team that can run the floor.

That said, I think this team is one wing away from being among the top teams in the country. We don’t have that kind of shooter.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Even worse is their close 2 percentage is 57.9%. This is rim attempts so layups, tips, dunks, (etc). Zags are 74%.

The zags have two giants in their front court.

Plus no one travels like timme

Reaction Score
Zags are 74%.
Against the "elite" frontcourt of the WCC.

They're one of my two current title contenders (along with Kentucky), but you gotta temper their efficiency stats w/ a grain of salt.

the Q

Reaction Score

They're one of my two current title contenders (along with Kentucky), but you gotta temper their efficiency stats w/ a grain of salt.

We already know duke can beat them.

They matchup with them because they also have two good big men who will also get protected due to the name on the front of the jersey

Reaction Score

What is your excuse for Kansas then?

Or Gonzaga going 75% in the games against UCLA, Duke, and Texas Tech?

Narratives are fun, facts are better.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga plays in a mid major conference against severely inferior competition. You can’t really use them as a barometer. We would easily shoot 10% points higher if we got to play Pacific, Loyola Marymount, Santa Clara etc….
I was going to say, I'd venture that Gonzaga's ball movement results in a lot of wide open dunks and layups.

Ours are almost always contested.

Plus, we have a lot of offensive rebound/tip attempts (that I wish we would grab and go up strong) that count as a missed shot.

Reaction Score
We already know duke can beat them.

They matchup with them because they also have two good big men who will also get protected due to the name on the front of the jersey
Who's going to run point for Duke? Who is their bucket-getter guard?

Wendell Moore would be better suited as a wing and Jeremy Roach can't hit a shot.

They pass the ball excellently as a team (58.1% A/FG rate is 35th in the nation), but I can see Duke having trouble against a team that forces a lot of iso.

Illinois, Texas, Murray State and dare I say UConn are all teams within the top-40 nationally in defensive A/FG rate, so Duke's beautiful team ball movement could have trouble against those teams.

Arizona, Kansas and Kentucky are top-flight teams with good A/FG rates too.

On that note, sure, Duke can beat Gonzaga but I think Gonzaga has a higher chance of having an easier path to the Final Four/Championship Game, which would be the only time Gonzaga and Duke will see each other.

Reaction Score
UCONN is shooting 48.1% from 2 this season. As many on this board have pointed out, the ability to finish at the rim has been problematic (aside from Adama).
This ranking (244th) is surprising low for a top 25 team. Gonzaga shoots an amazing 61% to rank 1stin the nation. Only Seton Hall (46.3%) and G'Town (43.2%) rank below UCONN in the Big East.

Great 2% Defense - 4th
and surprisingly solid 3 pt shooting % - 87th
and of course rebounding all of their misses - 3rd
have helped to offset for UCONN.

Torvik Data
That's a key part of our offense. It's call, 'Throw it up there and go get it."

the Q

Reaction Score
That's a key part of our offense. It's call, 'Throw it up there and go get it."

That’s my strategy with teammates playing pickup ball.

You throw it up, I’ll go get it

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If you treat every shot like it is a pass off the rim it is less of a problem. Low % x more shots = more points.

keeping opponents shot % down = more wins.

Does keep my heart rate up, but we have managed some good wins with that approach.
Good analogy. Like hockey: shots on goal. Or soccer. The other team cannot score as long as we have time of possession in our end of the field. Keep firing shots. It also can be demoralizing when we keep grabbing rebounds and firing them back up. Offensive rebounding syndrome against the opponent ala Jared Dudley (BC). Our guys remind me of him relentlessly rebounding again and again.
Whether it is Whaley, Sonogo , Jackson, Martin or even Cole I think it frustrates the other team and gets in their head. Dudley used to p %&^* me off to no end but he is enshrined on my all-time worthy opponent list. Now our guys are doing it.

Reaction Score
We can't be good at everything. It apparently hasn't hurt the team enough to keep us from becoming the best we've been in 7 years. But the thing I notice most in games, as far as areas we need to improve, is the fast break. These do count toward the low 2pt %. I remember the narrative of this team is that they love to run, and hate the half court. I don't know who started this. Maybe because past teams had athletic kids who couldn't gel so we assumed they love to run. Anyway, This has been expressed in bone yard threads this year as well. I actually see the opposite. When we break I hold my breath
We’ve been poor at the rim dating back to purvis and company.

Reaction Score
We’ve been poor at the rim dating back to purvis and company.
It's true. Am I dreaming that the narrative was still "they love to run"?. I mean they may love it but they weren't good at it

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
yes, some of those Gaffney and Martin "attempts" at lay ups remind me of Purvis who could go in for a lay up and miss the rim.
Vital was the king of the no-rim lay-up. Four in a row in crunch time against Wichita State.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom