#2 Oregon lost to UCLA | The Boneyard

#2 Oregon lost to UCLA

Reaction Score
...soooooo, what does this mean for us NCAA bracket-wise. I know we will be #2 in the country next week, and should be overall No#2 seed for the NCAA tournament.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
...soooooo, what does this mean for us NCAA bracket-wise. I know we will be #2 in the country next week, and should be overall No#2 seed for the NCAA tournament.

Agreed. A conference loss AT HOME for Oregon to an unranked UCLA squad. Hummm, not good. To say that Ruthie Hebard (out due to a right knee injury she suffered against Oregon State on Monday) was missed is an understatement. Rare back-to-back losses for the Ducks.

I've been saying the last month month that I expect upsets in every round of play this year. There are no clear cut favorites. Top 10 teams are losing to unranked opponents.

If the Ducks can lose at home to an unranked opponent, they can lose on a neutral court to a lower seed. Some team is going to get lucky, catch fire at the right time, and win this thing. My question is.................................why not us? Huh? Why not UConn? :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Nothing if it doesn’t move ND ( or Louisville) out of the bottom of the Albany bracket

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Oregon's loss changes who the #1 seeds are and where they are sent.

Guessing the #1 Seeds are Baylor, UConn, MIss St (have to beat So Carolina and win SEC tournament) and the winner of the ACC Tournament ( Louisville or ND) I have Miss St as the fourth #1 Seed. I guess its still possible for Oregon to get a #1 Seed if they win out and if Miss St loses a game. If Oregon, doesn't get a #1 seed, then my guess is Miss St ends up in Portland. IF Louisville and ND get a #1 seed due to their Strength of Schedule and Top 50 wins, does Baylor end up in Portland? They have to travel by Air to get to their regional. Does it matter which Regional they are sent to? ND could go to Chicago and Louisville to Greensboro.

Selection day should be interesting.

Reaction Score
A lot to happen between now and selection Sunday. Today's Baylor ISU game, the PAC12 tourney, SEC tourney and the ACC tourney which will have either Louisville or Notre Dame shift in the rankings so likely a lot of movement in the next couple of weeks. If UCONN wins out I think we're guaranteed a #1 seed and I believe Notre Dame does same, which isn't going too far out on a limb.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
...soooooo, what does this mean for us NCAA bracket-wise. I know we will be #2 in the next week, and should be overall No#2 seed for the NCAA tournament.

We will #2 in both polls next week. We are #2 in the coach's poll right now. The AP (writers' poll) should have us at #2 on Monday.

Let's wait and see the final standings before saying we are the overall #2 seed. Still a lot of basketball left. But I like our chances.

Reaction Score
I think this loss just shows how vulnerable all the top teams are this year to just one starter having an injury. I wonder whether there is less talent or the talent is just spread out. CW hits the freshman wall mental injury and we lose some big games, Young gets sick and ND loses, Hebard, Bibby, Cooper, Higgs, and the list goes on. Just one injury and doom for the big teams this year. Seems like everyone's bench is struggling and not sure if anyone has a 6th woman of the year candidate.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Unless huge upsets, the only conference with a chance at 2 # one seeds is the ACC and I think that would be quite likely if Louisville and ND win out to the ACC championship game, MS State just has a much weaker resume than the ACC teams and Louisville/ND will likely be treated the same as Uconn/ND were in the last few years of the BE.

But I doubt it really matters much ... I think Louisville or ND and Oregon will end up as the #1 and #2 seeds in Portland in some order.

Reaction Score
Oregon will get a pass on that loss based on the injury, as long as Hebert returns before selections are made.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Graves is pretty blunt and brutal. "They gotta figure it out" and in the last 30 seconds he catches himself and says it's on me and all the coaches too.

I understand SI came a bit unglued at the end.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Feb 23rd After Oregon Loss. Charlies' Bracketology

Charlie Creme’s latest top 16, in order of seed in each region:

Greensboro: Baylor, Mississippi State, Oregon State, Miami

Chicago: Louisville, Stanford, Iowa, Marquette

Albany: UConn, NC State, Maryland, South Carolina

Portland: Notre Dame, Oregon, Iowa State, Gonzaga

I'd take UConn's Bracket.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Oregon will get a pass on that loss based on the injury, as long as Hebert returns before selections are made.
So does ND get a pass on the two loses with Young out too?
I think the committee looks at injuries a bit but not in the complete pass range when considering the top end of the field . UCLA is a bad loss as was MSU and as were UNC and Miami for ND

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think the committee looks at injuries a bit but not in the complete pass range when considering the top end of the field . UCLA is a bad loss as was MSU and as were UNC and Miami for ND
Young was out only for the UNC loss. She played in the Miami game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Sort of what I expected and you could trade Louisville/ND depending on ACC tournament. Slight chance that MsSt could sneak in and get sent to Portland, but that then starts shuffling ACC teams all over the place. (And I sure want to see Muffet complain about being shipped to Portland on the reveal show!)

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
As Plebe mentioned, Young was only out for the game @UNC. But I would argue that Miami game was not a bad loss. The Hurricanes are ranked 15th in my composite rankings and the game was @Miami. Sure the loss was surprising, but Miami then won @Louisville, something some pretty good teams were not able to accomplish.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

I'd write us into the Final Four in ink if we get that bracket, but it's still too early to tell.

Reaction Score
I think this loss just shows how vulnerable all the top teams are this year to just one starter having an injury. I wonder whether there is less talent or the talent is just spread out. CW hits the freshman wall mental injury and we lose some big games, Young gets sick and ND loses, Hebard, Bibby, Cooper, Higgs, and the list goes on. Just one injury and doom for the big teams this year. Seems like everyone's bench is struggling and not sure if anyone has a 6th woman of the year candidate.
As I said in another thread UCLA is the hottest team in the Pac-12 right now. I think what this game reveals is the depth of the Pac-12. Definitely the top six teams and UCLA should be included in that category can beat anybody on any given night. UCLA in my view is a team that is perfectly poised for a deep run and both the Pac-12 and NCAA tournaments.

Reaction Score
Graves is pretty blunt and brutal. "They gotta figure it out" and in the last 30 seconds he catches himself and says it's on me and all the coaches too.

I understand SI came a bit unglued at the end.

I heard SI pushed her own teammate? I was looking for a video but could not find it. That's messed up

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I heard SI pushed her own teammate? I was looking for a video but could not find it. That's messed up

All highly competitive people lose their cool sometimes. Add when you are told you walk on water and you are young and maybe believe it, getting you feet wet is an unwelcome surprise. Oregon's youngsters had a lot throw at them in one week. They played two games in which their weaknesses were exposed and get the chance to fall again today, though I doubt it. I'm giving SI a pass.

Plebe

Reaction Score
No, she did not push her teammate. That is completely inaccurate.
She's guilty of showing some frustration and disgust. But she didn't push anyone.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Judge for yourself what Sabrina did after UCLA grabbed this late minute rebound: UCLA 69 OREGON 64 | Benny's House
Wow, the Beaver hit squad is all over it, huh.

Again, where is the push? She flails her arm in disgust in Gildon's direction, yes. It was a really, really bad look, and she should have controlled her emotions. But it's not even clear to me that she made any contact with Gildon, much less "pushed" her.

Reaction Score
Wow, the Beaver hit squad is all over it, huh.

Again, where is the push? She flails her arm in disgust in Gildon's direction, yes. It was a really, really bad look, and she should have controlled her emotions. But it's not even clear to me that she made any contact with Gildon, much less "pushed" her.
Beaver hit squad? That's bold. I provided video for others to "judge for themselves"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom