2 on offense, 2 on defense | The Boneyard

2 on offense, 2 on defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Times article on the Queens/Immaculata game referred to the former rules that provided for six players, two only on offense, two only on defense. So, taking the current UCONN roster, who plays where? Kiah and who else of defense? KML and who only on offense? Stewie both ways with whom?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
interesting question!

It really comes down to Tuck/Jefferson as the second two way player and given that Stokes is already there on defense I think I go:
Two way - Stewart/Jefferson
Defense - Stokes/Nurse
Offense Tuck/KML

Reaction Score
I played under those rules in high school. I played stationary guard (the girls who could go over mid-court were rovers). I could shoot foul shots, but not much else. When I was in junior high, you could only dribble the ball 3 times and then pass. I guess girls were too "fragile" to play like guys...times have changed!

Reaction Score
Me too Teacherdeb! Hated those rules - really boring when the ball was at the other end. Even when you played "rover" you could only dribble three times. I guess they didn't want "young ladies" to sweat - too unladylike!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Interesting. Presumably those were probably the rules used when the Tenneessee Lady Vols lost to the Knoxville HS 6-4 back in 1910. Kind of explains why. Also probably the rules used when New York HS girls played for state championships back in the 1920s.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Stewie and Morgan playing both ends. KML and Moriah on offense. Kia and Kiah on D.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Interesting. Presumably those were probably the rules used when the Tenneessee Lady Vols lost to the Knoxville HS 6-4 back in 1910. Kind of explains why. Also probably the rules used when New York HS girls played for state championships back in the 1920s.

Could be... or not. The rules were inconsistently distributed and enforced - since there was no national governing body. Some used the boys', some "girls'", some a mish-mosh of them both. I recall reading about midwest/california teams negotiating which rules to follow when they conflicted.

The evolution of the rules are fun to trace - imagine playing 11 a side on an outdoor grass court with a ball that was sewn together. (Hard to understate the impact of the seamless basketball and its impact on dribbling.)

Reaction Score
I played six on a side - three frontcourt and three back. Then 6 with two being rovers. I think when we went to 5 they also got rid of the 3 dribble rule. I do recall there was a rule about not getting too close to an opposing player - I got called for "guarding too closely".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom