2-13 & 2-14 Weekend Viewing Guide and Discussion Thread | The Boneyard

2-13 & 2-14 Weekend Viewing Guide and Discussion Thread

Reaction Score
Saturday's slate isn't as dynamic as other weeks, but this is one of the better Sundays we've had this season. I omitted a lot of mediocre Big East and Power 5 games, but feel free to add them below.

Enjoy!

SATURDAY

Noon

UConn @ Xavier - Fox: Just win.

#22 Loyola-Chicago @ Drake - ESPN2: Yes, Cameron Krutwig still plays for Loyola. Reason why Rambers fans should be excited: a better offensive (63 vs 36) and defensive efficiency (17 vs) ratings than their 2018 Final Four team. Krutwig doesn’t shoot threes, but all other players in their rotation shoot 32%+ from 3. They also play again at 3 PM on Sunday, also on ESPN2.

1 PM:
#12 Oklahoma @ #14 West Virginia - Big 12 Network: Could be the best game of the day. In their last two games, the Mountaineers have bTheaten Kansas and Texas Tech by a combined 23 points. Sooners have one 6 of their last 7. Underrated development for the Sooners: transfers Umoja Gibson (North Texas) and Elijah Harkless (CSU-Northridge) have both become major contributors to their rotation (23+ minutes each between the last five games).

2 PM:

#16 Tennessee @ LSU - ESPN: Tennessee’s projected lottery pick Jaden Springer is really heating up: 26.5p, 4.5r, 2.0s, 1b in last two games. Tennessee badly needs an alpha and if Springer becomes that alpha: watch out.

Oregon @ Arizona - ESPN2: Big game for Arizona, a bubble team at this point (7-6 conference play). Freshman wing Bennedict Mathurin has has had some huge games for the Wildcats, scoring 20+ three times since January. Now that Will Richardson is back for Oregon (14.5p, 4r, 5a in two games since returning), Oregon can be a sleeper pick in March.

Bowling Green @ Toledo - ESPN3: Toledo is tops in the MAC and Bowling Green (6-7 in conference) has had a dud of a year, especially since Justin Turner decided to spurn Power 5 options to return for his grad year. Toledo shoots, shoots, shoots: their top-7 players all shoot 32 3p%+. Lots of small-ball too with 6’7 JT Shumate playing the 5. I can see Toledo matchup excellently against a Creighton or Texas Tech trouble.

2:30
#15 Iowa @ Michigan State - Fox: Two Big Ten teams stinking it up late with both squads 2-4 in their last six. A must-win for Michigan State, who is firmly on the bubble (4-7 in conference play).

4 PM:
Arkansas @ #10 Missouri - ESPN2: Two hot SEC teams: (Arkansas 5-1 in last six, Missouri 6-2 in last eight). After wins against Tennessee and Alabama, Missouri shockingly lost by 21 against Ole Miss on Wednesday (Ole Miss shot 57% that game). I’m a big fan of Dru Smith/Xavier Pinson, arguably one of most underrated backcourts in the nation. Arkansas’ super freshman Moses Moody is impressive, 16.3 ppg and 37 3p%, but kinda meh last four games (12.2 ppg).

UAB @ Louisiana Tech - Stadium/Streamable online: UAB is the best team in the C-USA (9-1 conference play) and Louisiana Tech is vying for a top-4 spot in the conference. No star power in this game, but each team rosters FOUR double-digit scorers and both teams are top-50 KenPom defensive teams. The top half of the C-USA is very good and this should be a solid game.

Wofford @ East Tennessee State - ESPN+: The top-half of the SoCon is solid and the top-4 teams (UNC-G, Wofford, ETSU, Furman) are all good teams and in contention to take the conference crown. ETSU needs this win after two straight losses and already losing once to Wofford.

Duke @ NC State - ESPN: Root for NC State if you want Duke’s bubble to get closer to bursting.

5 PM:
#5 Villanova @ #19 Creighton - FOX: Another candidate for top game of the day. Two evenly matched teams: top-20 efficient offenses, but surprisingly this year the additions of O’Connell and Jones have helped Creighton be the better defensive team. Nova is awful at defending the 3 (299th in the nation) so I expect Creighton to feast.

Morehead State @ Belmont - ESPN+: Belmont is the cream of the crop in the OVC (14-0 in conference play, 20-1 overall), but Morehead State is a surprising #2 in the conference (12-2 in conference play, better than pre-season faves Austin Peay and Murray State). I caught the first half of the Belmont/EKU game on Thursday night and man, does Belmont’s offense look like the UConn women’s team: a calm, motion offense (against one of the best steal producing teams in the nation), ball movement, almost no dribbling. If they can’t win the OVC tournament, it’ll be criminal if they don’t get an at-large: easily one of the top 64 teams in the nation.

6 PM:
North Carolina @ #9 Virginia - ESPN: Another down ACC year has me unsure of what to think about Virginia. The additions of transfers Sam Hauser and Trey Murphy has helped improve their offense (combined 26.4 ppg) but Virginia’s SOS is awfully low for an ACC team (49th overall). Virginia needs to keep winning these pedestrian games (only play one more ranked team, Florida State, this regular season) to keep their stock where it is.

7 PM:
Rhode Island @ Davidson - ESPN+: Davidson sits right around the top of the A-10 standings, being one of the five two-loss teams in conference play. Even though Rhode Island is 6-8 in conference play, they can beat (or lose) to anyone. They’ve had the 2nd toughest conference schedule and an overall SOS better than teams Gonzaga, Baylor, Houston and Tennessee, amongst many others. URI is much better than their 9-12 record.

SUNDAY

1 PM:

#3 Michigan @ #21 Wisconsin - CBS: Michigan’s first game since 1/22 and a start of quite a doozy of a rest of season schedule (Wisconsin, Rutgers, Ohio State, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan State). A win will be huge to seeing how they transition post-pause. Excited for the matchup between super freshman Hunter Dickinson (15.1p, 7.2r, 1.4b) against the duo of Micah Potter/Nate Reuters (combined 25.3p, 9.8r, 1.5b). Michigan is 1st in the nation in defensive 2p% while Wisconsin is 47th, so the edge to Michigan.

3 PM:
Marquette @ Seton Hall - FS1: Marquette has had a worse season than I’ve expected, but still an important game for Seton Hall to secure an at-large bid.

#22 Loyola-Chicago @ Drake - ESPN2: 2nd game of the weekend series.

4 PM:
Pittsburgh @ Georgia Tech - ACC Network: Important game for two bubble teams. After years of being more of a defensive-first team, Tech is a top-50 offensive team and not a top-70 defensive team for the first time in six seasons. I think Tech has a better shot at the tourney than Pittsburgh, who is as 70ish KenPom team in both O and D and are awful at shooting (246th in the nation). Let’s go Tech.

Wichita State @ SMU - ESPNU: Before I get piled on for putting on an AAC game, this tilt against two top-four AAC teams could be pretty good. I’m shocked how well Wichita State has played this year. 12-4 overall and 8-2 in the conference, only behind Houston. Sophomore lead guard Tyson Etienne has really exploded this year, averaging 17.3p shooting 39.8 from 3 while Alterique is 2nd in the team in scoring with 10.2p (albeit at a 34% shooting clip). Jankovich has had a solid tenure at SMU and this is his best team since 2017.

Reaction Score
Could Gilbert go to the big dance and have his old teammates watching at home? Massey has UConn at # 54 and W.S. at # 58, and UConn, without Bouknight, is headed in the wrong direction. W.S. beats SMU on the road and they are solidly on the bubble.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
wait, what? loyola-chicago/drake play saturday and then again sunday?
must be becuz they're doing the 2 mask thing, right? or is it becuz they're schools far from the coasts? next u'll tell me that some people will actually be at the games. im rather gullible, but i ain't swallowing any of it. 2 games in 2 days, what are they, special?

Reaction Score
St. Bon vs VCU tonight. Both teams on the bubble.
Good game. Watched the end of both halves in between the Rangers game.

VCU is so good and so ahead of schedule and they will go as far as Nah'Shon Hyland takes them (19.3 ppg).

They haven't had a lead guard like him since Eric Maynor (22.4 ppg). Hyland a confidence and poise that's ahead of his years, but smart with his shot selection and doesn't force the play too...such a long athlete too and seems like a good kid with a solid head on his shoulder. I don't remember how realistic the Hyland vs Cole debate was here, but Hyland is one of the best 2 guards in the nation.

Saint Bonaventure's only loses have been against VCU, Saint Louis and Rhode Island. If they finish the season beating GW and Dayton and win two games in the tourney, they should be an at-large bid. No seniors on that team, so expect them to be even better in 2021-2022.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can’t bet in CT, or can I? (PM me if you have a workaround), but here’s some picks I like:

Loyola-Chi (-3.5): first game with Drake’s leading scorer and rebounder out.

Tennessee (-3): O’Neal is out and Jaden Springer is heating up.

Creighton (+3): closer than I’d like, but I like Creightons chances to win.

UConn (+4): Xavier is coming off second 10+ day covid pause in a month and after their own pause, I expect UConn to figure out how to play offense w/o Bouknight.

Auburn (+2): I mean, Kentucky sucks.

Providence (-1.5): I personally hate Providence but DePaul has been awful in conference play and can’t shoot a lick. Double check injury concerns with Providence but if none, go with pick.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good game. Watched the end of both halves in between the Rangers game.

VCU is so good and so ahead of schedule and they will go as far as Nah'Shon Hyland takes them (19.3 ppg).

They haven't had a lead guard like him since Eric Maynor (22.4 ppg). Hyland a confidence and poise that's ahead of his years, but smart with his shot selection and doesn't force the play too...such a long athlete too and seems like a good kid with a solid head on his shoulder. I don't remember how realistic the Hyland vs Cole debate was here, but Hyland is one of the best 2 guards in the nation.

Saint Bonaventure's only loses have been against VCU, Saint Louis and Rhode Island. If they finish the season beating GW and Dayton and win two games in the tourney, they should be an at-large bid. No seniors on that team, so expect them to be even better in 2021-2022.
I remember UConn was recruiting Hyland, forgot it was the 2019 class

Reaction Score
Feb 12, 2021 1:46 pm

Saturday 2/13
Connecticut @ Xavier, 12:00, FOX - Brandon Gaudin, Donny Marshall
Line: Xavier -2.5/135

Butler @ Georgetown, 1:30, CBSSN - Andrew Catalon, Steve Lappas
Line: Georgetown -1/132

15 Iowa @ Michigan State, 2:30, FOX - Gus Johnson, Jim Jackson

5 Villanova @ 19 Creighton, 5:00, FOX - Tim Brando, Nick Bahe
Line: Villanova -2.5/144.5

Providence @ DePaul, 8:00, FS1 - Wayne Randazzo, Jess Settles
Line: Providence -1.5/137

UNLV @ Boise State, 10:00, FS1 - Daron Sutton, Wyking Jones

Sun. 2/14 (Valentine's Day)
Marquette @ Seton Hall, 3:00, FS1 - Kevin Burkhardt, Steve Lavin

Minnesota @ Maryland, 7:00, FS1 - Steve Buckhantz, Glenn Consor

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I didn't expect Creighton would smashing Nova today. They are beating Nova at all aspects.

Reaction Score
I didn't expect Creighton would smashing Nova today. They are beating Nova at all aspects.
I expected a Creighton win just because Nova sucks at defending the 3 and that's basically all Creighton does.

After a shellacking by Loyola yesterday, Drake beat Loyola in OT. Excellent game and I'm 100% certain the MVC wanted these teams to split this series to help ensure both teams get into the tourney.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Drake vs Loyola game is tight but if we did what either one of these teams have done offensively this board would be howling with criticism. 3 min left in OT and neither team has scored 50 yet!
Side note - they have BOTH played 21 games!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom