1st Game Thoughts | The Boneyard

1st Game Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1st Game Thoughts:
-Defense = excellent. When you can hold a team to 0 points, -1 yard rushing and 50 something total yards on offense then you deserve a grade of excellent.

-Special Teams = excellent. They gave up no break away returns, blocked a punt into the end zone for a touch down, covered at least one punt inside the 5, pinning UMass against their own goal line.

-Kicking game = Great. A 47 yard field goal, no muffed extra points. They did what they were supposed to do.

-Offense = still needs work but a definite B+. Whitmer hit receivers down field. There were three turnovers(one was a freak but hey, a turnover is a turnover). McCombs didn't get his 100+ yards I thought he would but that's ok. Offensive line kept UMass away from the quarterback and most importantly.... no injuries. They didn't blow open holes for the running game as much as we all would have liked but give UMass a little credit, they made a concerted effort to try and stop some of the run game. Over all not a bad job. Definitely things to work on but a good effort. Bring on the Wolf Pack!!

Reaction Score
1st Game Thoughts:
-Defense = excellent. When you can hold a team to 0 points, -1 yard rushing and 50 something total yards on offense then you deserve a grade of excellent.

-Special Teams = excellent. They gave up no break away returns, blocked a punt into the end zone for a touch down, covered at least one punt inside the 5, pinning UMass against their own goal line.

-Kicking game = Great. A 47 yard field goal, no muffed extra points. They did what they were supposed to do.

-Offense = still needs work but a definite B+. Whitmer hit receivers down field. There were three turnovers(one was a freak but hey, a turnover is a turnover). McCombs didn't get his 100+ yards I thought he would but that's ok. Offensive line kept UMass away from the quarterback and most importantly.... no injuries. They didn't blow open holes for the running game as much as we all would have liked but give UMass a little credit, they made a concerted effort to try and stop some of the run game. Over all not a bad job. Definitely things to work on but a good effort. Bring on the Wolf Pack!!

B+ for an offense that didn't get to 400 yards of total offense against UMass, and committed three turnovers, is way, way too generous.

Reaction Score
UMass was selling out near the line of scrimmage to stop the run. We still ran it alot on first and we still ran it at them. My guess is we will diversify our plan of attack based on what teams are trying to do going forward. Probably didn't want to show too much for nc state.

Reaction Score
I kept trying to say "good game" to UMass fans. They were so distraught. Since 1936, we are 32-23-2 against them. Said to two fans that they are up two games in the series. One said, "Let's keep it that way." I respond, "Let's not and say we did!" Then said we own them in basketball. And the same person responds by saying our bball programs have had dirty coaches, etc. And then other brings up us coming to Hockey East. Responded to that by saying they will own us for a while in hockey. We need to resume this damn series.

Reaction Score
B+ for an offense that didn't get to 400 yards of total offense against UMass, and committed three turnovers, is way, way too generous.
372 with milking the clock. Not too bad.

Reaction Score
UMass was selling out near the line of scrimmage to stop the run. We still ran it alot on first and we still ran it at them. My guess is we will diversify our plan of attack based on what teams are trying to do going forward. Probably didn't want to show too much for nc state.

I noticed that too. They were stacking up big time on running down and distance situations, and they had a lock on Griffin all night. They've got a really good defensive coaching staff up there. They keyed on the two things they thought we wanted to go to, and they contained McCombs, and shut down Griffin, the one time we forced the ball to Griffin, they were ready for it, and picked it.....disguised the coverage to Whitmer. That's the only way that QB throws the ball into a defender's hand like that. What Whitmer saw before the snap, made him think he could go to Griffin, and they were ready. Good learning experience all aroudn for the QB. I think I saw Whitmer check out of a play and go to a nice pass in the flat early on, but that was it, for that against the stacked box. If I'm right, somebody got in his ear, to run the play as it was coming in no matter what the D was showing, for exactly the reasons you state.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I kept trying to say "good game" to UMass fans. They were so distraught. Since 1936, we are 32-23-2 against them. Said to two fans that they are up two games in the series. One said, "Let's keep it that way." I respond, "Let's not and say we did!" Then said we own them in basketball. And the same person responds by saying our bball programs have had dirty coaches, etc. And then other brings up us coming to Hockey East. Responded to that by saying they will own us for a while in hockey. We need to resume this damn series.

1) When they said, "Let's keep it that way," your response should have been, "Unfortunately, you can't."
2) When a school that has had John Calipari as a coach comments on other coaches as being "dirty," one must shake their head and laugh.

Can't wait to beat them again...

Reaction Score
B+ might be a little generous but hey, first game jitters, new quarterback, they converted a lot more 3rd downs than they would have last year, they threw the ball down field which is something we haven't seen around here in a while, no QB sacks that I can remember. I held my breath when Whitmer tried to force it to Phillips in the end zone with two UMass defenders draped all over him but Griffin should have had a similar catch earlier, just didn't time the jump right. They scored on their first offensive drive. All in all, not a bad days work, being the first game and all. Now they have something to look at on film to help them improve.

Reaction Score

i agree about the turnovers but the low yardage is a result of our outstanding field position all night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom