1st game of year Sox - Yanks | The Boneyard

1st game of year Sox - Yanks

Reaction Score
Caught Sox-Yanks last night, it was cold but not as bad as feared, possibly the 6 layers I wore impacted that.
1. What's the exact rule on the 6 mound visits/game? Catcher counts. What happens once exceeded?
2. Its working, <3hrs for Sox-Yanks is HUGE - they desperately need to do something, my 10yr olds do NOT KNOW WHO BABE RUTH IS!! Could only name 2 baseball players ever.
3. Sales is a boss
4. Brock Holt's walk up music is fantastic
5. MOOOOOOOOOOOKIE!!
6. Due to bad weather crowd last night was more traditional Sox fans and very rowdy, everyone is fired up to take the rivalry back up a notch, should be a fun year.
7. Judge, big, good, scary

P.S. Yankees SUCK

Reaction Score
Pretty sure that any mound visit after 6 must result in a pitching change.

Brock Holt looks like the Lawnmower Man with his new haircut.
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 9.43.58 AM.png

Reaction Score
Pretty sure that any mound visit after 6 must result in a pitching change.

Brock Holt looks like the Lawnmower Man with his new haircut.
That makes sense, although I was really hoping for a Yankee pitching change from the dugout last night. Alas they got to 2 left and then gave up & left guys in there to mop up.

There is really no reason for the manager to walk out there if you are changing. Put the ball down if you want or wait for the bullpen guy.

I can't wait for a Catcher to mistakenly walk out causing an unintended pitching change. I wonder where the 'red line' is? Cross onto grass?

Reaction Score
That makes sense, although I was really hoping for a Yankee pitching change from the dugout last night. Alas they got to 2 left and then gave up & left guys in there to mop up.

There is really no reason for the manager to walk out there if you are changing. Put the ball down if you want or wait for the bullpen guy.

I can't wait for a Catcher to mistakenly walk out causing an unintended pitching change. I wonder where the 'red line' is? Cross onto grass?

It's defined as something like an 18-foot radius around the pitching rubber.

I think they should eliminate warmup pitches for relievers coming in mid-inning. You just warmed up -- do you really need 8 pitches to warm up again? Maybe throw 3 so you can get a feel for the rubber and your catcher.

Reaction Score
It's defined as something like an 18-foot radius around the pitching rubber.

I think they should eliminate warmup pitches for relievers coming in mid-inning. You just warmed up -- do you really need 8 pitches to warm up again? Maybe throw 3 so you can get a feel for the rubber and your catcher.
But 3 - 8 pitches for say 2.5 relievers average per game isn't going to make a material difference in game time, which I'm telling you makes baseball un-watchable and uninteresting for today's kids. No stepping out of the box, ever, the end (its a 1st or 2nd strike if you step out or if 2 strikes -1 ball) and we get 2.5hr games.

They've got screening the entire length of the first and 3rd base lines at Fenway now, because even the adults are constantly on their phones. When Jose Canseco was here I was scared of injuries from the frozen ropes Jose ripped into the 3rd base seats. To my knowledge it never happened. Pre-screen the last couple of years unquestionably there'd be a list of 6-12 major fan injuries.

Baseball works for the older set that is used to pace of game and can watch and enjoy casually, even more with the distractions. But for younger set baseball is too slow, on too late, its impossible to enjoy or care until you reach a certain maturity level (say 15+) and by then its too late.

Reaction Score
As long as kids can run up and down the ramps between the stadium decks, they will love going to baseball games.

Reaction Score
As long as kids can run up and down the ramps between the stadium decks, they will love going to baseball games.
Lots of stairs at Fenway these days, I think only 2 ramps left.
Kids love going to games yes, because of food and food alone. But becoming baseball fans has nothing to do with that at least in my anecdotal experience. My 10yr olds obviously don't care since they don't know who Babe Ruth is and my 13yr old is loathe to watch baseball on TV even though he's been to a half-dozen + Red Sox games & some minor league games. When I was 13 I was transitioning out of my most-devoted baseball fandom period to interest in the fairer sex so no way he grows up to be anything near the baseball fan I am or my father was. I absolutely believe there is a generational shift afoot.

Reaction Score
I had to chuckle at "Let it Go" playing over the Fenway speakers as Phil Nevin refused to get the #$*$ off of the field . . .

Reaction Score
Tyler Austin is becoming Chase Utley.

You would only think this if you’re a Red Sox fan or part of the Boston media. Pretty much every neutral observer has said that it was a clean play that they had no issues with.

Reaction Score
You would only think this if you’re a Red Sox fan or part of the Boston media. Pretty much every neutral observer has said that it was a clean play that they had no issues with.
I didn't see it live but in watching the replay the left foot very clearly extends unnaturally into Holt, accentuated at end of slide (that part partially caused by Holt catching it w/toe as Holt tries to get out of way) but then Austin quite clearly steers into the off the path skid. It is not worth a fight (and it wasn't) but you definitely don't just take that kinda crap without standing up for yourself. Holt isn't one to cry wolf.

upload_2018-4-12_14-39-47.png

Reaction Score
Here is the initial point of contact, not going for the base. But look, just happens to be right at Holt's foot.
upload_2018-4-12_14-45-3.png

Reaction Score

Yankee broadcaster when looking at the replay of slide during the third inning -- "the high spikes thing, that gets solved on the field". Austin didn't help things when he did the tough guy routine after Holt called him on it.

Reaction Score
Harold Reynolds had a great breakdown of Austin's slide last night on MLB Network. When Austin started his slide, Holt was still in the "pivot" position as if he was going to try to turn 2. It was only after Austin started his slide that Hold abandoned the pivot position and stretched his leg forward to just get the out at 2nd base. In other words, Austin was totally justified for going in hard because he thought Holt was trying to turn a double play.

There's also this explanation from MLB Network radio:

Reaction Score
Harold Reynolds had a great breakdown of Austin's slide last night on MLB Network. When Austin started his slide, Holt was still in the "pivot" position as if he was going to try to turn 2. It was only after Austin started his slide that Hold abandoned the pivot position and stretched his leg forward to just get the out at 2nd base. In other words, Austin was totally justified for going in hard because he thought Holt was trying to turn a double play.

There's also this explanation from MLB Network radio:

Hard, yes. Spikes up, no.

Reaction Score
Hard, yes. Spikes up, no.
Exactly, go in hard - even roll if you have to but know that its to break up the double play and you know exactly what you are doing. And in this case going when 'hard' is spikes up AND aiming spikes exactly at a guys leg - no one is going to take that quietly? Its absolutely a 'baseball play' to choose to go in hard and possibly even a baseball play to have spikes up, but its also a baseball play to stand up for yourself and teammates.

Reaction Score
He literally missed the bag with his feet. He went over it with his butt and wasnt even on the bag after he slid, didnt even attempt to hold his hand on it or anything. I dont know anyone who slides like that.

Reaction Score
Suzyn Waldman called it dirty. That's good enough for me.
Wow, I can't believe she is still doing games. If I even hear her voice, my mind immediately plays the Roger Clemens soundbite/clip on an endless loop.

Reaction Score
Exactly, go in hard - even roll if you have to but know that its to break up the double play and you know exactly what you are doing. And in this case going when 'hard' is spikes up AND aiming spikes exactly at a guys leg - no one is going to take that quietly? Its absolutely a 'baseball play' to choose to go in hard and possibly even a baseball play to have spikes up, but its also a baseball play to stand up for yourself and teammates.

I never said it was wrong for them to go after Austin and hit him in retaliation. I said that the play was not Chase Utley levels of dirty (and the majority of neutral observers agree with me on this). I personally think it’s worse trying to hit a guy twice after your purpose pitch already missed.

Reaction Score
Suzyn Waldman called it dirty. That's good enough for me.

She also said that the pitch that hit Austin risked ending his career or even his life. She’s not exactly the best person to be quoting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom