1st Game 1st Thoughts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

1st Game 1st Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You have to realize how ridiculous this sounds. Half the lineup - more than that, probably - is brand new. They were playing without 2 of their best players. And they played sloppy as hell and beat a bad team by 30 points. Imagine what Florida State fans are saying.
Ok, come back to me at the end of the season once they’ve won a tournament game or two. Just don’t see it this year. Think it’s another good not great DH team that hovers around the top 25 but isn’t a March contender. Hope I’m wrong

Reaction Score
Ok, come back to me at the end of the season once they’ve won a tournament game or two. Just don’t see it this year. Think it’s another good not great DH team that hovers around the top 25 but isn’t a March contender. Hope I’m wrong
You might be right, you might be wrong. I think you're wrong. The point is using the 1st game of the season against a brand new D1 team without 2 of our 3 best players as any sort of barometer is stupid. In fact using the 1st game of the season regardless of circumstance as anything is stupid

Reaction Score
You might be right, you might be wrong. I think you're wrong. The point is using the 1st game of the season against a brand new D1 team without 2 of our 3 best players as any sort of barometer is stupid. In fact using the 1st game of the season regardless of circumstance as anything is stupid
Thanks. All I said in my post is that the first game did nothing to change my mind from what I thought this team’s ceiling was this off-season. Glad you disagree, check back at the end of the year please

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Too early to actually get worried about things that weren’t good. Stonehill was not very good at all yet our only go to was Sanogo. Bigger better teams will take that away if our guys can’t shoot it.

The good is Karaban is a basketball player, smart one. Under control, sees the floor and is solid on the perimeter as well as interior. Will be the starter eventually. Samson is lost on D still, all the tools but needs to understand the game better.

Newton can get to the line, can make some plays but his D is so so at best. He didn’t shoot it well but who did? Diarra more aggressive, excellent defender but even with 7 assists needs to tighten up the handling and passing. But what a nice addition. Alleyne is a nice overall player on both ends great bench piece. Joey C can shoot it, will need that on occasion. Donovan played well, even early his missed left handed spin then getting his own rebound was good to see. Blocked shots were nice especially when he moved his feet to guard a guy baseline when he stopped to shoot it DC was able to extend for the finger block, good stuff.

Overall lots more to see. Not thrilled with how little they actually ran any offense to set anyone up but Sanogo. Chemistry takes time let’s see how Friday looks.
It looks a lot like this to me. I think the offense didn't create very much except for post ups for Sanogo and Clingan. Against Stonehill I wanted to see more fluid passing, creativity and open shots. And that's where Newton disappointed in my book. Sure, he got to the line, but also didn't create for others much, and was beat off the dribble by ... Stonehill guards? Karaban belongs. Period. Don't be too hard on Joey C. We'll need his shooting ability, if the shooting from deep this game is any indication.

We generated a lot of points off defense in this game, Stonehill's first in Div. 1. That won't be the case against better and more experienced teams. And yes, I understand Jackson didn't play and Hawkins didn't play much. Still, you'd expect better, more creative offense from this talent.

Reaction Score
I'm glad you aren't the coach. Trying to say he isn't skilled is just stupid. You wanna say he lacks confidence, fine, but the talent is through the roof with that kid. Not everyone on the team needs to hit threes or be a jump shooter. Playing HIS role will be very valuable to us. What he brings you can't teach and he will impact games in multiple areas. He will be a beast on the offensive glass/in transition and will thrive on defense. How many players can guard at least three positions?? Leave the coaching to the professionals and sit down.

Well he definitely was wrong by saying he shouldn’t see the fooor again that’s ridiculous. He has a ceiling that is incredible. While his athleticism should allow him to guard multiple positions for now he can’t guard any one of them. He was lost mostly in man the other night both on his own and in Help. I expect he was excited about his start and will wait to see what he has to offer beginning Friday. For now, only one game, he looked like the same kid as last year. Let’s hope he settles in.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I personally think Newton will be fine. He seemed in control of the game for the most part. It’s always encouraging when someone can get to the line when they’re having a bad shooting night. I don’t think those shooting woes continue especially when we’re fully healthy.

On rewatch he had a pretty good block in man defense and 3 NICE dimes including a perfectly executed fast break oop to Sanogo (so happy to see those again). Really can’t wait to see how he does next to Hawkins and Jackson. Having 3 guys that athletic with great passing ability will be fun to watch.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well he definitely was wrong by saying he shouldn’t see the fooor again that’s ridiculous. He has a ceiling that is incredible. While his athleticism should allow him to guard multiple positions for now he can’t guard any one of them. He was lost mostly in man the other night both on his own and in Help. I expect he was excited about his start and will wait to see what he has to offer beginning Friday. For now, only one game, he looked like the same kid as last year. Let’s hope he settles in.
I don't even know what some of you are watching. His defense was excellent except falling for the fake. Several times he was tempted to leave his man and help because somebody else got beat, and you could see the coaching kicking in, because he didn't do that. Last year he would have. But he pretty effectively smothered whoever he was guarding. The 2-3 with SJ, Clingan and AK was almost comical, poor Stonehill had no idea what to do against it.

Team is quite different without Jackson. If Hawk is out, Allenye probably takes the 2, and AK might be at the 3 with SJ at the 4. Probably means SJ will play less at the 5 so more time for Clingan too.

Reaction Score
I don't even know what some of you are watching. His defense was excellent except falling for the fake. Several times he was tempted to leave his man and help because somebody else got beat, and you could see the coaching kicking in, because he didn't do that. Last year he would have. But he pretty effectively smothered whoever he was guarding. The 2-3 with SJ, Clingan and AK was almost comical, poor Stonehill had no idea what to do against it.

Team is quite different without Jackson. If Hawk is out, Allenye probably takes the 2, and AK might be at the 3 with SJ at the 4. Probably means SJ will play less at the 5 so more time for Clingan too.

I know what I saw. He was following his guy all too often losing him. Also when he should've helped on the interior once he was glued to his guy back to the play rather than helping on penetration. I know you like the kid HH and I hope you're right about him, but he wasn't good defensively. Some I am sure were jitters, but he wasn't as good as AK was at guarding his guy. I see he can guard he has great feet and quickness but needs to get better in understanding is all.

Reaction Score
Yeah that’s why overall I don’t think he is bad. But this is low competition, you gotta expect a couple buckets from him
If he could find open guys for easy shots the team can go pretty far.
He also has to calm everybody down and run plays that will assure that. My first lessen in basketball was PG 101
My question to my mentor was about how well a PG must shoot.
The answer is good enough to have to play him honestly.. If his man can sag the lanes get tight.

Reaction Score
On rewatch he had a pretty good block in man defense and 3 NICE dimes including a perfectly executed fast break oop to Sanogo (so happy to see those again). Really can’t wait to see how he does next to Hawkins and Jackson. Having 3 guys that athletic with great passing ability will be fun to watch.
The pass to Karaban when he cut backdoor was awesome.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The pass to Karaban when he cut backdoor was awesome.
There was that and the dish to Sanogo coming off the screen. I think almost every basket Sanogo had was assisted or a rebound.

I’m hoping we can finally start seeing more of the backdoor lobs to Dre when he’s back.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Johnson wasn’t too involved in the game, but to me what stood out is that he looked like a center more than a stretch 4. He’s athletic enough to guard multiple positions defensively, but offensively he’s more of a rim runner than anything else. He doesn’t seem that confident shooting in game and his hands are not so good.

The flip side is that Johnson isn’t wasting possessions with bad shots either. If he shoots 60% inside the arc that’s a big plus for a team that sucked at the rim last year. That being said, Karaban looked like a playmaker and a weapon in the half court, and I think it’ll be hard for Johnson to match that type of production most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom