1999 mentioned in ESPN's biggest upsets | Page 2 | The Boneyard

1999 mentioned in ESPN's biggest upsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I'll never understand this line of thinking. The fact that Duke was as good as they were makes our win better. If Duke was your average No. 1 seed, it would've still been great. But the fact that they were considered historically great (and, come on, they were really good) makes our win even more satisfying.
It's like people want to retroactively downgrade Duke to somehow prove we were better. Why? We proved it on the court.

Uconn earned, deserved, and had the better team to win that title. People calling it an upset (especially one of the biggest upsets ever) is demeaning to the fact the the '99 UCONN squad came in to that year with only 1 goal in mind.

Calling it an upset over one of the greatest teams ever doesn't make it better. It makes it a fluke. It was anything but. That team was built to win that title.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We were ranked #1 more than Duke that year.

Best 2 teams that year for sure

Not an upset

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Uconn earned, deserved, and had the better team to win that title. People calling it an upset (especially one of the biggest upsets ever) is demeaning to the fact the the '99 UCONN squad came in to that year with only 1 goes in mind.
Yeah they call it a big upset because of the point spread, but OK.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
The list was based on the spread. Calm down guys.

Reaction Score
Are you forgetting El-Amin "We shocked the world!!" People here like to rewrite history too. Not many people thought we stood a.chance and did not respect us.

Reaction Score
image.jpeg
I'm calmer than you are

Are you channeling your inner walter?

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
#SlickRickFaceOnDemFolks

CdxzhRXUkAAZjR2.jpg

(meanwhile Glen Miller meditating, repeating his mantra "I have the jazziest socks.")

Reaction Score
I still remember arguing with a lot of people that Uconn, was the best team, that UConn should be undefeated....Duke was just beating up on a weak ACC that year, so they looked more impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom