OT: - 1990 Storrs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: 1990 Storrs

Reaction Score
I think it was a Big Y.
To be clear, we're talking about the strip mall on route 9...across from the drama building and sort of kitty corner from EO Smith. Right?

Facing it, all the way to the left was a Big Y. 75% sure about that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Did Paul’s do breakfast too or was that another place in that plaza? Whatever the breakfast place was, it was there a long time and was busy.
That's was Paul's. And the business was mostly due to the lack of a weekend meal plan on-campus.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To be clear, we're talking about the strip mall on route 9...across from the drama building and sort of kitty corner from EO Smith. Right?

There was a small grocery store tucked away down what I think is Dog lane before you got to that plaza. Was it a Big Y? I really don't remember. I wish somebody had an old map.

Reaction Score
There was a small grocery store tucked away down what I think is Dog lane before you got to that plaza. Was it a Big Y? I really don't remember. I wish somebody had an old map.
I remember it being an “Edwards Universal” in 1986, across Dog Lane from the “Scissor Wizards”. Much like an IGA.

Reaction Score

I remember Edwards - right next to Buckley / and the Daily Campus building. I remember getting late night chili cheese dogs at the c-store but can't remember the banner (go figure...)

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting that link. A few things about that issue of the Daily Campus:
  • I probably had the same reaction when I read it back then, but I can't believe I knew one of the guys in the Husky Talk section.
  • Nice to see the Far Side. "Deadly couch cobra" :D
  • Also good to see one of those needle in a haystack personal ads. At least "long brown hair and off white t-shirt" was a little more specific than the usual "Looking for the girl with brown hair wearing jeans and carrying a UConn backpack walking by the library yesterday. I was the guy wearing a baseball cap and a Huskies sweatshirt."
  • At least 5 different ads from the Campus Florist. Interesting advertising approach.

Anyway, I took this picture back in 2012, shortly before they demolished the plaza. This was from across the street, on the corner by EO Smith:

View attachment 47089

Store 24 was in the left corner of the building. If you were driving to the right, Wawa would have been a little further down the road.
Oh yeah! Store 24...
The favorite store to go to after Fratherinity parties...

Reaction Score
Sounds like no one here is old enough to remember the Campus Restaurant. In the plaza that was demolished. It was all we had way back in time on that side of campus. No Geno's or any other nice restaurants. Not even Friendly's.
I definitely remember it...

Reaction Score
That was Edward's Supermarket. It definitely wasn't a supermarket in terms of size. Across the street on Dog Lane was Phil's Gift Store

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That was Edward's Supermarket. It definitely wasn't a supermarket in terms of size. Across the street on Dog Lane was Phil's Gift Store
It was Universal before that. It's only saving grace was that it sold 6-packs. Once I walked past the meat counter without averting my gaze. I never made that mistake again.

Reaction Score
It was Universal before that. It's only saving grace was that it sold 6-packs. Once I walked past the meat counter without averting my gaze. I never made that mistake again.

in the no weekend meal plan days, Universal was the only option if you didn't have a car

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There was a Store 24 near Buckley's, and then around 1990 or 1991 a Wawa's opened. There was a Chinese restaurant in there somewhere, and a record/CD store on the other side of Wawas.

Reaction Score
There was a Store 24 near Buckley's, and then around 1990 or 1991 a Wawa's opened. There was a Chinese restaurant in there somewhere, and a record/CD store on the other side of Wawas.
Yup I remember all that. There was Store 24, the record/CD store, a grinder/pizza place all in that same plaza. Behind it was scissor wizards haircut place, a comic book store, and a car place. Down the street was Wawas and then Friendly's was on the second level of another plaza. Ahhhhhh the mems. And if you lived in South Campus there was the "Subway Truck" for a late night sub just outside of S Lot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom