1917 | The Boneyard

Reaction Score
Excellent movie. One of best war movies have seen. Also very cool that throughout it...there are no cutaway scenes. Rather it stays on the 2 Brit soldiers ordered to cross No Mans Land and deliver an important message to a commander about to make a mistake by attacking the Germans who are waiting for it with his 1600 men including one of the 2 Brits brothers. Great from start to finish.

And amazingly for a war movie, while you see the horrors of war including dead bodies, rats etc., while you see some but you do not see alot of actual deaths.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Saw 1917 tonight. See this in a theater. Intense, gripping, riveting. Incredibly shot as one continuous take. Should definitely win best cinematography. Excellent film. Tough, but excellent.

Reaction Score

Agree with all of that.

Is cinematography the category it wins for the one continuous take approach? If so then I agree....should definitely win for that category. I wouldn't argue if it won best picture and director too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Agree with all of that.

Is cinematography the category it wins for the one continuous take approach? If so then I agree....should definitely win for that category. I wouldn't argue if it won best picture and director too.
Yes, cinematography rewards the way in which the film was shot.

I have only seen five of the nine best picture nominees so far (I still need to see Jo Jo Rabbit, Parasite, Little Women and Marriage Story), but I think 1917 and Joker are the best of the ones I've seen, and I wouldn't argue if either won best picture, director and/or screenplay.

I am surprised that Rocketman was only nominated for best original song. I would have expected best picture, best actor and best costume design nominations for that.

Reaction Score
Yes, cinematography rewards the way in which the film was shot.

I have only seen five of the nine best picture nominees so far (I still need to see Jo Jo Rabbit, Parasite, Little Women and Marriage Story), but I think 1917 and Joker are the best of the ones I've seen, and I wouldn't argue if either won best picture, director and/or screenplay.

I am surprised that Rocketman was only nominated for best original song. I would have expected best picture, best actor and best costume design nominations for that.
It was surprising to see Rocketman only get one nomination, after all the nominations and buzz it got at the Golden Globes (including the Egerton win for Best Actor) but honestly am glad it didn't. In no way does Rocketman as a film and any acting performance compare to that of the current nominees.

Think you're right though that 1917 and Joker are the front-runners for Best Picture. Joker with the most nominations is a somewhat surprising appreciation for the film after all the controversey, but it being a lock to be recognized for Best Actor with Joaquin's performance could hurt its legs for Best Picture.

For 1917, an interesting fact is that every single Best Picture winner since 2000 has also been nominated for Best Editing every single year except one (Birdman, 2014). 1917 did NOT receive a Best Editing nomination, but coincidentally, was shot as one continuous take just like the one exception winner Birdman...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It was surprising to see Rocketman only get one nomination, after all the nominations and buzz it got at the Golden Globes (including the Egerton win for Best Actor) but honestly am glad it didn't. In no way does Rocketman as a film and any acting performance compare to that of the current nominees.
I think I liked Rocketman better than you did, and that the way you feel about it is the way I feel about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

But that's what makes the world go 'round!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Rocketman is one of the beter biopics ever made. I like that it was not a documentary-style time line of events in Elton John's life, but was instead an insight to who he was as a person and the impact of key people in his life on him. The acting was good, but I thought the casting was even better. Richard Madden was great as John Reid, the manipulative manager/boyfriend to Elton John. I think Jamie Bell is just OK as an actor, but he was great in the roll of Bernie Taupin. Bryce Dallas Howard was also excellent as the mom.

I liked the format of the movie. A scene like the Rocketman song told us more about the desperation of his addiction than just about any dialogue could do. The relationship with Taupin was really well done. The thing I liked the most about Rocketman was that it was pretty honest. Bohemian Rhapsody was so sugar-coated that Sasha Baron Cohen refused to do it and they went with Rami Malek. Rocketman didn't make any apologies for the collosal jerk that Elton John had become near the end of his addiction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom