185,000 GSF Hockey Arena Planned | Page 2 | The Boneyard

185,000 GSF Hockey Arena Planned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like the Mansfield Apartments idea. As others have said, its close to the new center and all that has to offer, plus the school could easily have a shuttle to the other parking lots by sending buses down 275 to Separatist Road. There is never any traffic there. Especially at night.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
So...rationale for putting the hockey arena on the edge of campus? Seems to me that they want to create an anchor that will draw traffic to that part of campus and also get foot traffic in storrs center. I have to say, I loved the way Minnesota has all of its sports facilities together - really cool configuration. However, that location will help to fill out that corner beyond the Storrs Center development. Personally, I can't wait to visit.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Think that is appropriate. Roughly 1,000 seats more than the TD bank arena down at QU. Take out the arenas that are both bball and hockey arenas that is about average for Hockey East. Think UCONN is smart for going reasonable and not huge since college is a new to the CT for State U.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    27 KB · Views: 120

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Any updates on this? You'd think there would be a big presentation in the near future

Reaction Score
"- The 4,500-seat hockey arena, which Herbst said is tentatively planned for the corner of Route 195 and South Eagleville Road"

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268748/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=E2kTZGnG

Just because it was speculated: "- Two new science buildings, including both classroom and laboratory space, on the former parking lot known as X-Lot and along Whitney Road."
4500 seat arena? I fervently hope that figure is revisited. The original plans for Gampel (before use as a hockey arena was scrapped) was seating for 7-8,000 for hockey. In light of the attendance at the BC game, I would hope that seating is increased to a minimum of 6500.

Reaction Score
Just 4500? Susan was at the game vs BC. WTF. Guess as many may not travel to Storrs.

Reaction Score
5-5500 would be the best target. Not every game is going to be against BC. Getting 8K people to come to games against Merrimack, RPI, and UMass Lowell is a tough road to hoe. ND hit it on the head with theirs being slightly over 5K. Really, just replicate the size of that, but with out the ridiculous sight lines.

Reaction Score
If you are playing UMass or Providence in Storrs & they become neighborhood rivalries, seating with a minimum of 5500 might be necessary to accommodate students & fans Trust the state to go small. Look at their past history with Gampel & the RENT. Retrofitting Gampel to 10.000 required some creativity. You won't get that with a hockey rink. once it's completed, it's done.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I can only say...wow has this campus changed. I barely recognize it anymore. It is so jammed full of new buildings and renovated older buildings, and has spread out.

Looking at the plans, it clearly makes more sense to put the new STEM buildings on X lot, since the new STEM dorm is slated to be next to Hilltop, and the math, physics, chem and other science buildings are in that part of campus. Hockey arena where proposed makes sense, and I like that it is near the Nathan Hale Inn/Conf. Center. I have heard nothing, but would speculate that the new hockey arena could be used to host other events (concerts, conventions etc.). If so it could spur further private development down 195. Aside from the horsebarn hill area, campus seems to be out of space.

Reaction Score
wHY DOES uconn ALWAYS SCRIMP ON DEVELOPMENT OF QUALITY facilities?

Go Big and First Class or GO HOME! IF you can;t do it right then wait until you can. They've waited this long to get their act together on hockey, either do it right or wait until you can do it right!

This crap aboput 4,500 or even 5,500 seats is BS!. Do we really think that UCONN can support a 7,500 seat hockey arena going forward. It will cost far less to build a 7,500 SEAT ARENA NOW THEN IT WILL COST TO do that in the future.

We are a large Northeast State school with a pent up demand / interest in hockey (Whalers are gone). The state loves all things UCONN. I really think that we can, in time develop the program to a level where 7,500 seats is what is needed.

A 7,500 seat arena will also be a gem that will help to sell the program as we compete with and soon beat our HE foes on the recruiting trail.

Come on Herbst, lets do it right!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Go Big and First Class or GO HOME! IF you can;t do it right then wait until you can. They've waited this long to get their act together on hockey, either do it right or wait until you can do it right!

This crap aboput 4,500 or even 5,500 seats is BS!. Do we really think that UCONN can support a 7,500 seat hockey arena going forward. It will cost far less to build a 7,500 SEAT ARENA NOW THEN IT WILL COST TO do that in the future.

We are a large Northeast State school with a pent up demand / interest in hockey (Whalers are gone). The state loves all things UCONN. I really think that we can, in time develop the program to a level where 7,500 seats is what is needed.

A 7,500 seat arena will also be a gem that will help to sell the program as we compete with and soon beat our HE foes on the recruiting trail.

Let's not forget folks, XL is likely not going away. I suspect that BC, BU and other big games may still be played in Hartford. So the new arena could be similar to Gampel. 5,500 sounds about right to me, 4,500 sounds small.

Reaction Score

Yeah - that new UConn Basketball Champions Center is a disgrace. ;)

Remember - this unlikely to be built with predominately State $$ (if any).

I'm curious if the floated 4500 number includes any luxury boxes seats? I mentioned in another thread, depending on design - another 500 to 1000 can be accommodated as SRO tickets when the demand for a specific game is needed.

I'm convinced they know exactly what they are doing in regards to the new rink (famous last words). They don't want alot of empty seats on a per game basis.

This isn't Warde's first exposure to hockey and facilities.

Reaction Score
4500-5500 is perfect. My biggest concern about playing at XL (BC opener aside) is that it will have a poor feel that detracts from the atmosphere since it is too big/cavernous. Look at a place like Yost at Michigan (about 6500/7000), UM has a special venue and a great hockey tradition but aside from rivalry games like Ohio/MSU/Miami even they don't sell out very frequently at all. For UConn to go 7000+ in Storrs would be a mistake that could have a negative impact on the intimacy of the facility.

Reaction Score

I'm curious, if Notre Dame, with their enormous fan base, longer history of hockey, and also being in a part of the country where hockey is very popular, was content with going 5K, why is UConn all of a sudden destined for 7,500? My guess is the school is going to be looking at the attendance numbers for this year against the likes of Merrimack, Lowell, RPI, and the rest of the no-names. That'd be like seeing the 44K+ at the Michigan football game and assuming we'd have that number for games against Buffalo and Tulane. Hockey isn't the facilities (read: capacity) arms race that football is. Recruits care about quality of training facilities, exposure to scouts, and ability to play big-name teams more than they do about whether the arena holds 5,000 or 8,000. Frankly, that factors in very little. If that were the case, Michigan, Denver, BU, Michigan State, and Cornell would all be second-rate hockey programs as all play in arenas <7,500.

I agree it should be above 5K, below that would be second-rate. 5,500 or so on campus with top-quality training facilities and an excellent environment is just right. Pretty much replicate what ND and Penn State built

Reaction Score
One concern with the new arena going to the corner of 195 and South Eagleville Road is that is basically surrounds both Mansfield's office complex and EO Smith HS with UConn. I have a feeling that the Mansfield locals will oppose this. The same folks who opposed building a sidewalk along North Eagleville Road and the Carriage House/Celeron apartments while complaining about UConn students walking in the street when I was in Storrs.

Reaction Score
One concern with the new arena going to the corner of 195 and South Eagleville Road is that is basically surrounds both Mansfield's office complex and EO Smith HS with UConn. I have a feeling that the Mansfield locals will oppose this. The same folks who opposed building a sidewalk along North Eagleville Road and the Carriage House/Celeron apartments while complaining about UConn students walking in the street when I was in Storrs.

Blows my mind a proper sidewalk was never constructed there. Too many NIMBYs.

Reaction Score
Blows my mind a proper sidewalk was never constructed there. Too many NIMBYs.

Just looked at Google Maps, there is a sidewalk now along the north side of North Eagleville Road and the west side of Hunting Lodge Road. So, that is an improvement over the old Celeron Trail, i.e. Rape Trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom