$17m early buyout agreement per Blauds | Page 2 | The Boneyard

$17m early buyout agreement per Blauds

Reaction Score
The school needs to explain why it makes financial sense to pay an extra 7 million so we can leave with one year notice instead of two. Paying 17 million I would almost expect Big East basketball for the 2019/2020 season. From a football point of view I was looking forward to AAC football in 2020. If they replace home games vs UCF, Temple and Cincy with home games vs garbage teams it will be very disappointing considering we could have given the standard two years notice.

So Aresco finally does his job and negotiates a sweet deal for the AAC and it works against UCONN. Head bang

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
now the next shoe to drop - does espn adjust the numbers on the AAC media deal.

Reaction Score
The Truth

UConn is the Only name University this Far East that will play Major P5. In New England, not far from NYC, and near targeted parents for future students & alumni in good jobs. Army won’t play most of these. We have a Institutional sized modern stadium AND we can accommodate the far bigger ticket demands that may come. UMass Liberty NM State ... aren’t in the same class nor Platform. BYU is a great opponent ... but a haul for an AWAY game.

We will do fine. We just need to get far better

Then. We need to snort at the National Media that buried us. We get MSG and enthusiasm. A Brand.

Reaction Score
whaler11 was right ... it all was about Tulane & Tulsa

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The school needs to explain why it makes financial sense to pay an extra 7 million so we can leave with one year notice instead of two. Paying 17 million I would almost expect Big East basketball for the 2019/2020 season.

Its a great question. One element to consider, UConn cannot truly negotiate with Fox and SNY regarding any media deals until we have a definitive exit. Yes, we could have sought to stick around for that extra year, but that might have put us at risk that SNY in particular might not be as excited about UConn BB and Football if it means waiting around to 2021 to start broadcasting. While the Fox and SNY media deals might not make up for the 7m delta for the one year acceleration, it reduces the chances of catastrophe if Fox and SNY have a change of heart a year or two from now.

Got to strike while the iron is hot. Extended transitions are also a killer for recruiting and our renewed momentum.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
whaler11 was right ... it all was about Tulane & Tulsa

Yep, if this was a 10 team conf without Tulsa and Tulane watering it down and had Aresco let us retain our WBB broadcasting rights we would still be in the AAC. I bet the AAC media contract with ESPN is valued the same in aggregate with and without Tulsa and Tulane, but if the same, that is more per school.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
$6 million of the Exit Fee is payable over 6 years. That makes this very manageable. Getting starting on earning Big East Tournament Credits a year earlier will offset that within about 3 years.

We are only looking for 5-6 home football games a season, so 2-for-1's with P5's will be big, especially if we can draw 25-30K or more again vs. the $12-15k we are getting for AAC games.

Reaction Score
Gonna miss my once every two year trip up to see Temple play at the Rent. Maybe the series continues in the future, idk. The picture has become a little clearer now and since Temple has been in this position, I figured i'd give my perspective. None of this is earth shattering or probably a new discussion point for you guys.

1. No bowl game or access bowl game affiliation. What are they going to sell recruits on? UConn has had a hard enough time as it is recruiting during the rebuilding of the program. My first thought was maybe UConn could get access to the ESPN pool, but that won't happen with ESPN unhappy with UConn. So the only hope is getting an at large and being 6-6.

2. Scheduling - Yes, UConn has some advantages compared to Umass, but not ND or BYU. 2020 we all know is a problem, but going further the power conferences are all trending to 9 game conference schedules. Most P5s want to maximize home games as well for revenue purposes and getting them to come to The Rent will be tough. If you can get 1 P5 a year, that would be a "win". So will a mostly G5?independent schedule get fans to come out? They didn't for an AAC schedule. Even if you get two p5 games a year, if you are losing 40-10, will it even matter?

3. Fans- Will fans still come to games if UConn is still losing, even with a strong home schedule like BYU (best case scenario)? BYU has advantages built in with money flow from the church and playing older players after missions, even they have struggled to be competitive as an independent.

4. Recruiting - Again, not a great recruiting area and now what is the selling point? TV on SNY would help I guess but I doubt that will be a game changer. The recent commits have mostly been FCS level correct? So can UConn put a product on the field to be competitive even with a schedule on Umass level? Facilities? Pretty much all the schools have great facilities now.

I just don't see how this works out for football at all in the future and the move only makes sense overall if the football expenses are cut drastically to justify the move (FCS/cutting program). The fear I see from the UConn football fan perspective is another really bad year in 2019. The talk will grow to kill the program. Then a bad schedule in 2020 with a possible underwhelming team will lead to worse fan support and more talk to kill the program.

I'd say it is a 70-30 chance UConn is not playing FBS football by 2021...I hope it works out because I have a few friends that are UConn alums and support the football program. They just don't see how this works out.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Gonna miss my once every two year trip up to see Temple play at the Rent. Maybe the series continues in the future, idk. The picture has become a little clearer now and since Temple has been in this position, I figured i'd give my perspective. None of this is earth shattering or probably a new discussion point for you guys.

1. No bowl game or access bowl game affiliation. What are they going to sell recruits on? UConn has had a hard enough time as it is recruiting during the rebuilding of the program. My first thought was maybe UConn could get access to the ESPN pool, but that won't happen with ESPN unhappy with UConn. So the only hope is getting an at large and being 6-6.

2. Scheduling - Yes, UConn has some advantages compared to Umass, but not ND or BYU. 2020 we all know is a problem, but going further the power conferences are all trending to 9 game conference schedules. Most P5s want to maximize home games as well for revenue purposes and getting them to come to The Rent will be tough. If you can get 1 P5 a year, that would be a "win". So will a mostly G5?independent schedule get fans to come out? They didn't for an AAC schedule. Even if you get two p5 games a year, if you are losing 40-10, will it even matter?

3. Fans- Will fans still come to games if UConn is still losing, even with a strong home schedule like BYU (best case scenario)? BYU has advantages built in with money flow from the church and playing older players after missions, even they have struggled to be competitive as an independent.

4. Recruiting - Again, not a great recruiting area and now what is the selling point? TV on SNY would help I guess but I doubt that will be a game changer. The recent commits have mostly been FCS level correct? So can UConn put a product on the field to be competitive even with a schedule on Umass level? Facilities? Pretty much all the schools have great facilities now.

I just don't see how this works out for football at all in the future and the move only makes sense overall if the football expenses are cut drastically to justify the move (FCS/cutting program). The fear I see from the UConn football fan perspective is another really bad year in 2019. The talk will grow to kill the program. Then a bad schedule in 2020 with a possible underwhelming team will lead to worse fan support and more talk to kill the program.

I'd say it is a 70-30 chance UConn is not playing FBS football by 2021...I hope it works out because I have a few friends that are UConn alums and support the football program. They just don't see how this works out.

I have a short response for you. We can't sink lower, we've had an FCS roster for two years. Recruits didn't love the AAC story. We can sell independence better - as long as we have the right coaching.

Reaction Score

Out comes the anchor.

Reaction Score

Maybe you haven’t toured our Football Complex; I have toured yours East of Broad Street.

You’re kidding yourself. You’re a long way from the next tier of CFB elite. And the gap is widening with that strange 13 year stretch of Flat revenue.

We don’t know about Rod Carey. I bet he fails. Jetting Ed Foley is a sign. But we would love to continue playing Temple. Philadelphia or Connecticut.

We care about Hoop. I thought Temple did as well; and that’s a faint heart from Liacouras. We get MSG. Semi & Final of BET; that’s our Rose Bowl. If we get to 6-6 etc ... I think we will be fine.

Have fun in Tulsa.

C

Chief00

Agree but of that $17M, $7.5M ($2.5M exit fee + $5M withheld distributions) has already been paid, and another @$3.5 of withheld distributions is apparently anticipated. So on an out of pocket basis, we are looking at $2.5 down + $6M over basically 7 years. That seems like a very good deal.

@Chief00 is right that the $withheld distributions is real money that is otherwise owed to us, but on a cash out of pocket basis, this isn't bad.
I agree, with the caveat that I believe we need to pay an entry fee and then our share of various Big East payouts will be less than a full share for I believe a few years. So we will be going effectively without about 5 years of normal distributions between the AAC and Big East. There is a lag in actually receiving funds. I also don’t fully understand the impact of missing football conference bowl distributions going forward - I assume that’s not an insignificant slice of these $5 million payouts.
We were running a $40 million deficit and there’s no reason to believe total income will be higher anytime during the next 5 years absent shady accounting assumptions - so the AD
Department needs to tighten their belts.
We will see how many of these OBE fans, who haven’t been to a game in years, will actually show up?
If you believe recently published demographic migration trends, many of these OBE fans have moved south or plan to do so in the next 5 years. And gee that’s the growth area we are leaving.

Last edited by a moderator:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I've gotta say. This is a quality post.

Bottom line is that UConn will hold a FBS program together with spit and baling wire until at least mid next decade, when some of the P5 media rights contracts expire/renew. Honestly though, nothing you bring up has not been bandied about yet. This move was based on money pure and simple. Not the sport of basketball, and certainly not football. The deal that Aresco agreed to was untenable for UConn. Just like that.

1. Bowl games, to me, are the biggest loss so far. UConn will still be the pick for a bowl over a 5-7 program. 80-something slots are a lot to fill, but 5-7 teams aren't invited every year. Be that as it may, money.

2. UConn is not claiming ND status, and is closer to BYU than UMass. UConn has a following and they have a regional network willing to maximize the UConn brand. Above that, the network will presumably not make UConn foot the bill or provide their own production behind a $4.99/month/fan paywall.

2A-3. Football games and many basketball games were lightly attended as is. Winning brings out the fans. Fans spend the money, which in UConn's case doesn't matter much, as Football and half of basketball are played in rented facilities.

4. UConn has never been respected on a national basis as far as football recruiting.

As equally a football fan as basketball, I was with you when I heard the news, but this move was not done for football (clearly). It was done for the athletic department. I don't think UConn makes this move if not for the AAC-ESPN renewal in the manner in which it was done. I doubt they make the move if there's not a wink and a nudge agreement for control of their tier 3 media, which Aresco ceded to ESPN and for which SNY has been paying 7 figures/year for since 2014.

The Big East media deal pays about $4 mil, as I understand it. SNY will gobble up Women's basketball and home football. Plus UConn will spend a fraction of what they were paying for team travel and they won't have to cover the yet-to-be-determined production nut. Revenues + Cost Savings = healthier bottom line.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree, with the caveat that I believe we need to pay an entry fee and then our share of various Big East payouts will be less than a full share for I believe a few years. So we will be going effectively without about 5 years of normal distributions between the AAC and Big East. There is a lag in actually receiving funds. I also don’t fully understand the impact of missing football conference bowl distributions going forward - I assume that’s a not insignificant slice of these $5 million payouts.
I don't think we take a reduced share for the NBE. Contract just states we aren't entitled to a share of earnings accrued prior to our joining.

I agree that the $10M, give or take, in lost earnings that are being used to partially pay off the $17M is real money, it just isn't out of pocket cash.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree, with the caveat that I believe we need to pay an entry fee and then our share of various Big East payouts will be less than a full share for I believe a few years. So we will be going effectively without about 5 years of normal distributions between the AAC and Big East. There is a lag in actually receiving funds. I also don’t fully understand the impact of missing football conference bowl distributions going forward - I assume that’s not an insignificant slice of these $5 million payouts.
We were running a $40 million deficit and there’s no reason to believe total income will be higher anytime during the next 5 years absent shady accounting assumptions - so the AD
Department needs to tighten their belts.
We will see how many of these OBE fans, who haven’t been to a game in years, will actually show up?
If you believe recently published demographic migration trends, many of these OBE fans have moved south or plan to do so in the next 5 years. And gee that’s the growth area we are leaving.
You keep saying this Chief. My understanding from the contract that UConn signed with the Big East is that they will get the full distribution as a member once they join the conference. They won't get the tournament shares that the Big East will be receiving from when UConn was in the American, which makes sense.

Reaction Score
I don't think we take a reduced share for the NBE. Contract just states we aren't entitle to a share of earnings accrued prior to our joining.
You keep saying this Chief. My understanding from the contract that UConn signed with the Big East is that they will get the full distribution as a member once they join the conference. They won't get the tournament shares that the Big East will be receiving from when UConn was in the American, which makes sense.
008.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom