$17m early buyout agreement per Blaud | Page 3 | The Boneyard

$17m early buyout agreement per Blaud

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
It's not all upfront though...will be spread out over the next few years.

2019-2020: AAC withholding ~$5M
2020-2021: AAC withholding ~$5M but UConn starts getting full share of Big East $$$ immediately (about $4M but could be higher depending on TV contract negotiations)
2021-2022: $1M to the AAC
2022-2023: $1M to the AAC
2023-2024: $1M to the AAC
2024-2025: $1M to the AAC
2025-2026: $1M to the AAC
2026-2027: $1M to the AAC
So 2019-20 no revenue in.
2020-21 is a wash or slight revenue in, but if you add the BE entry fee here, it's more likely no revenue + a little out of pocket.
2021-2027 I'm fine with the $1M per. Hopefully our new revenue model more than makes up for that $1m.
So for 2 years we're playing for free as far as the AAC is concerned.

Reaction Score
This is Aresco (not mad) doing the same thing he did with the tv deal.

He gets to say “17 million!” But when you actually break down the numbers...it ain’t there, Mike.
If I owe you 5 million and you owe me 5 million either I can write you a check and you can write me one or we can both call it even and save the cost of the stamp. In this case though Chief is correct that we now have 5 million dollar hole in the budget that needs coverage.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You're kidding, right?
Not at all. If UConn floated a number that says 'hey we'll be saving $2M in travel costs' and that number was calculated using an anticipated $0 in travel costs, that means the school, essentially lied to the public. That would be utter horse sheet. I doubt that that is the case though,

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Not at all. If UConn floated a number that says 'hey we'll be saving $2M in travel costs and that number was calculated using an anticipated $0 in travel costs, that means the school, essentially lied to the public. That would be utter horse sheet. I doubt that that is the case though,
I meant about chief knowing the actual details. He's more of a big picture guy.

Reaction Score
Not at all. If UConn floated a number that says 'hey we'll be saving $2M in travel costs' and that number was calculated using an anticipated $0 in travel costs, that means the school, essentially lied to the public. That would be utter horse sheet. I doubt that that is the case though,
No chance that's how UConn calculated the numbers, but people who want to paint this as a bad deal need to spin some numbers in their favor

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score

so basically ya'll are gonna be a buy game team for a bunch of big P5 schools? i guess that's fun

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This should supercharge recruiting for hoops, both men and women. Recruits from the class of 2020 or later will never have to play Tulsa, Tulane or ECU. Or any of the other AAC detritus other than a few one off December games.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
aresco gonna make you play H&H's with ECU and Tulane #chessnotcheckers
Maybe, but even if games were vs UC, UConn won't have to pay for production to put those contests in standard definition video or force their fans to pay $4.99/month for a two camera set up, commentated on by two 21 year old communications majors from campus radio, who would rather be at Catskeller than at a Women's basketball game.

Reaction Score
Imagine asking for $30m while schools in your conference have to front over $1m/year in production costs for games behind a paywall lmao. Aresco has contracted a case of the big dumb

Reaction Score
Seems to be a little confusion about what the AAC is withholding. I thought they withheld this year's payment (2018/19 seasons) and are also withholding next year's payment (2019/20 season). When Anthony says "UConn's exit fee will be $17 million, payable in lump sums of $5-plus million each of next two years" it does not mean go into 2020/21. The deal UConn got was a withholding of $10M-$11M the first two years and then a gradual payment of the additional $6M over the following 6 years.

This is a decent deal for UConn. They essentially pay the 27 month exit fee from withholdings and have full BE payments, potential SNY money, additional ticket revenue money and large payday football game money (Clemson, Tennessee and others) to make the $1M payments until 2026

Reaction Score
Serious question to Uconn FB fans...do you want to play Clemson's and Bama's of the world or would you prefer a more competitive game against a lesser P5 opponent? I assume for financial reasons UConn will pursue any/all P5 opponents but which is preferable?

Also, do P5 teams typically play OOC games in middle/end of season? Isn't really just early in the season as a tune-up? Or is it seen as somewhat of a bye week where the elites can get healthy and make tweaks?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
ESPN gonna make Aresco and AAC pick the schools. With BE bump we are going to be good again. And while Cinci has the fate you wish on us we will get the pick of the litter! Go Huskies!

And we will get some games on ESPN.
#losthismarbles

Reaction Score
Serious question to Uconn FB fans...do you want to play Clemson's and Bama's of the world or would you prefer a more competitive game against a lesser P5 opponent? I assume for financial reasons UConn will pursue any/all P5 opponents but which is preferable?

Also, do P5 teams typically play OOC games in middle/end of season? Isn't really just early in the season as a tune-up? Or is it seen as somewhat of a bye week where the elites can get healthy and make tweaks?

The first 4 weeks of the season are generally the OOC games for many P5 teams. Although the SEC teams generally have an OOC game in late October or early November as a "break" from their tough schedule. UConn's P5 games would be heavy in the first 4 weeks of the season with other independents and FCS games rounding out the schedule. Getting any P5 game in late October or November would be a bonus. Having BC or Rutgers become an Thanksgiving weekend rival would make scheduling much easier.

You take a couple of Clemson/Bama types for the $$. The best case scenario would be to get mid-teir P5 teams with the budgets to pay.

Reaction Score

With where we are as a program I prefer the big matchup. An upset can make an entire season for a program like us.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony piece:

This actually sounds promising:

David Benedict now has to devote the bulk of his efforts toward football scheduling and, if what I hear he’s working on actually comes to fruition, schedules beginning even in 2020 could be substantially more interesting than any AAC slate. Expect in the coming years to see home-and-home series with attractive Power Five programs, games with teams of local and national interest from the AAC, SEC and Big Ten.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
USF for WBB, which Geno had already agreed to with Fernandez, and for MBB Temple, which is a regional game and in our recruiting target area and Memphis, which should be good games. I'm not unhappy about that at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom