17 of 36 WNBA Draftees Make a Team Inclu Crystal and Megan | The Boneyard

17 of 36 WNBA Draftees Make a Team Inclu Crystal and Megan

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

Its why the WNBA needs to expand the number of teams in the League. Probably a contrary view, but I think WNBA Expansion would help the viability of the league. Put teams where there is strong College Women's BB Fans. I would put teams in Knoxville, Waco, and Columbia So Carolina. I'm sure there are other cities that would support a franchise.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
50% chance of a draftee making a team roster. Better odds for 1st round and frightening ones for 3rd I suspect. Any way you slice it the dreams of a lot of little basketballers are very elusive.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Its why the WNBA needs to expand the number of teams in the League. Probably a contrary view, but I think WNBA Expansion would help the viability of the league. Put teams where there is strong College Women's BB Fans. I would put teams in Knoxville, Waco, and Columbia So Carolina. I'm sure there are other cities that would support a franchise.

and Eugene (add even number of teams for balance)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Couldn't think of a 4th City, that's why I only listed 3. Eugene would be good option, along with Spokane Washington.

What I would also like to see but the current WNBA teams would no agree to it, is the Expansion Teams go to the top of the Draft and have coin flip to determine the order of the picks for the Expansion teams. This way the new teams get a named player to start with. Expansion teams would also have the right to trade pick to pick up additional players/draft picks.

and Eugene (add even number of teams for balance)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Its why the WNBA needs to expand the number of teams in the League.
Why do NBA fans attend games and watch broadcast games? Why do WNBA fans attend games and watch broadcast games? Are these two answers materially different? Would diluting the talent pool through expansion have any effect? Would the talent pool be diluted? What percentage of players drafted every year prior to this year make a roster? I wonder how many of these decisions are tough because the talent is there but the opening and/or money is not. Perhaps some day someone will determine how to create/attract a large profitable fan base for games, broadcasts, and merchandise. It would be interesting to converse with Cathy Engelbert. She must have believed she had some germ of a concept to make the WNBA successful. I doubt being another failed commissioner ever entered her mind. She had been a very successful businesswoman in a tough business. This will be an interesting case study.

Reaction Score
Why do NBA fans attend games and watch broadcast games? Why do WNBA fans attend games and watch broadcast games? Are these two answers materially different? Would diluting the talent pool through expansion have any effect? Would the talent pool be diluted? What percentage of players drafted every year prior to this year make a roster? I wonder how many of these decisions are tough because the talent is there but the opening and/or money is not. Perhaps some day someone will determine how to create/attract a large profitable fan base for games, broadcasts, and merchandise. It would be interesting to converse with Cathy Engelbert. She must have believed she had some germ of a concept to make the WNBA successful. I doubt being another failed commissioner ever entered her mind. She had been a very successful businesswoman in a tough business. This will be an interesting case study.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the WNBA cut one position from each roster this year in order to compensate for higher salaries. So 11 players instead of 12. I think I've got that right.

So the WNBA is going in the opposite direction from expanding its teams and rosters.

Reaction Score
The 3rd round should likely be eliminated if the league remains at 12 teams and I highly doubt there will be expansion on the horizon since the league is in such a tenuous place.

I suspect the Bay Area would be a great place to expand once a team is added.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the WNBA cut one position from each roster this year in order to compensate for higher salaries. So 11 players instead of 12. I think I've got that right.

So the WNBA is going in the opposite direction from expanding its teams and rosters.

Still 12

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

While there is no one single cure to the WNBA attendance problem, I'm not sure relocating franchises to college towns as you are suggesting, would help. The WNBA is still playing in the summer during which most of these college towns are the least populated. My alternative would be for the WNBA to consider a a regional draft and use regionally (based on home of record or where player played college ball) drafted players to grow support locally. International players could be drafted by any team. I would collapse to 10 teams & keep the teams centered around 10 major cites> I would also ditch playing in NBA venues until the playoffs.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Still 12

I think the situation is that the roster limit is 12, but there is also a salary cap. Teams may find it necessary to sacrifice the last roster spot to stay within the salary cap, and that appears to have happened in a number of cases.

Reaction Score

Roster limit is still 12, but several teams are down to 11 because the new higher max individual salaries don't reconcile well with the new "less higher" overall salary cap. For instance the Phoenix Mercury are down to 11 players to get under the cap, while questionably paying Bria Hartley $185,000.

Whether it's that the new salary rules were not very well thought out, or that the individual teams are not dealing with them very well, the result is FEWER roster spots in the league. IMO it's the former. If I were a GM I would definitely consider reducing my number of players in order to increase the number of really good players on my team.

Reaction Score
I think it might be good to add two new teams so as not to dilute the talent too much. Maybe two more in a few years. The talent level is good right now and that is important for growing the league.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

shakehead.gif

Reaction Score
Biggest issue is playing in the summer. If the W is the "best" women's league it should be played during the same season as all other basketball.

Reaction Score
Biggest issue is playing in the summer. If the W is the "best" women's league it should be played during the same season as all other basketball.
The WNBA is sponsored and funded by the NBA. No overlap allowed. Without the NBA the WNBA would not exist. It seems to be working. Let it be.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If the WNBA played in the winter, it would be a much poorer league. If you make the better players choose between their overseas salary and their WNBA salary, guess which one most of them would choose.

As it is, from a basketball quality standpoint, the WNBA is still considered the best women's league in the world, despite the fact that other leagues pay better.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
50% chance of a draftee making a team roster. Better odds for 1st round and frightening ones for 3rd I suspect. Any way you slice it the dreams of a lot of little basketballers are very elusive.
It's pretty much 100% for first-rounders (may be part of the CBA) and much lower from there. I'm sure other Boneyarders have some pretty good historical data, but 3-5 from the 2nd round and 0-2 from the 3rd round sound about right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom