16 Team ACC would be VERY attractive | The Boneyard

16 Team ACC would be VERY attractive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Adding Rutgers and UConn would allow the ACC to split into four pods consisting of four teams.

The pods would ensure:

- preserved regional rivalries
- minimized travel costs
- increased intra-conference travel among fans to games
- Increase value of current geographic outliers (ie Boston College, Syracuse)
- continuity along the Atlantic Seaboard

North Pod
- Boston College
- Rutgers
- Syracuse
- UConn

MId - Atlantic Pod
- Maryland
- Pittsburgh
- Virginia
- Virginia Tech

Carolina Pod
- Duke
- North Carolina State
- University of North Carolina
- Wake Forest

Southern Pod
- Clemson
- Florida State
- Georgia Tech
- Miami

Organizing the ACC like this seems so natural to me. What do you think?

Reaction Score
Adding Rutgers and UConn would allow the ACC to split into four pods consisting of four teams.

The pods would ensure:

- minimized travel costs

North Pod
- Boston College
- Rutgers
- Syracuse
- UConn

MId - Atlantic Pod
- Maryland
- Pittsburgh
- Virginia
- Virginia Tech

Carolina Pod
- Duke
- North Carolina State
- Wake Forest

Southern Pod
- Clemson
- Florida State
- Georgia Tech
- Miami

Well done Al. Although I don't believe for a moment you picked this morning to give us this idea without wanting someone to say the following: Congratulations. That was a nice win for you last night and you deserved it.

Reaction Score
As much as I would love this, I don't think the ACC will expand anytime soon unless the SEC made a move first. I think if the BCS gets rid of the AQ, we might see some conference contraction. Great Idea though Al.

Reaction Score
One problem....the ACC. They need to look at each of those factors and determine whether those factors are motivating or detrimental to the conference future (expand or not). It is all about money and whether it is worth feeding more mouths, maybe too simplistic on my part. Any other ideas are about internal management, but they wouldnt even think about that until all of the money settles. My biggest problem lies with management....as a business and politically-minded person, I cringe at the BE front office reaction (or lack thereof) to crisis when there are so many opportunities to be proactive and evade crises. I'd be more willing to accept the new alignment if there were people thinking ahead and seeing the many parts that make up the whole. No one else is playing fairly, why is our conference crying sour grapes and begging for cooperation and transparency while everyone else is taking action and doing what is best for that conference?

Essentially what I am saying is I propose RutgersAl for ACC commush.

Reaction Score
How quick could one of us work our way up from UNC athletic department lackey, to commish of ACC?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
When Pitt and SU have full votes in the ACC it could tilt the vote towards a UConn and Rutgers add. The old ACC image as a Southern power held by some members and their classic ACC identity will change. DeFillipo will be gone by the time the next vote comes around and BC could easily do a rethink on rivalries.

I'm not holding my breath but the ACC has a chance to lockup their their territory much like the PAC-12. The cable footprint would be huge. Add St John's, Nova, Georgetown and ND as associate members in basketball (20 teams) and you have a true media Beast.

Next time they want to reopen their contract there aren't that many choices......

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

The pods would ensure:

- minimized travel costs

Also: incorporates the next great college basketball dynasty!

Reaction Score
If the ACC wanted Rutgers AND UConn, this would already have happened. The trump card in all of realignment now is Notre Dame. I'd want to go whereever Notre Dame goes. Unless the B1G invites us. I don't get how some of you couldn't care for football in realignment. This realignment thing is all about football money, right?

Reaction Score
Until ND does something, the ACC will do nothing. One good thing for UConn, however, is the performance of SMU, Houston, & Boise in the bowls. That, coupled with Clemson getting destroyed vs WV, will diminish the ACC's rep for AQ status, and increase the NNBE's AQ status.
Worst case scenario is we will be in an AQ football conference. But, hoops take a huge hit. With our hoop reputation (not including this past week in NJ) we should be fine in all sports, ACC invite, or, not.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There are four ACC schools who can claim a national championship (and each has won at least one over the past 30 years) and this configuration puts each of them in the same pod.

I personally believe that WVU's drubbing of Clemson hurts us as the ACC is now less likely to add any members who are not viewed as legitimate football powers than they were before this game.

The ACC won't expand again until either they lose someone or until someone demonstrates that they are legitimately capable of sustaining football success.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

The pods would ensure:

- minimized travel costs

North Pod
- Boston College
- Rutgers
- Syracuse
- UConn

MId - Atlantic Pod
- Maryland
- Pittsburgh
- Virginia
- Virginia Tech

Carolina Pod
- Duke
- North Carolina State
- Wake Forest

Southern Pod
- Clemson
- Florida State
- Georgia Tech
- Miami

With you, Al. Unfortunately, it just makes too much sense so it won't happen.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If the ACC wanted Rutgers AND UConn, this would already have happened. The trump card in all of realignment now is Notre Dame. I'd want to go whereever Notre Dame goes. Unless the B1G invites us. I don't get how some of you couldn't care for football in realignment. This realignment thing is all about football money, right?
I agree that ND is the trump card. But......all we need to happen is for the SEC and/or the B1G to start their expansion wheels turning. Regardless of ND's stance, we could benefit hugely from either of those conferences expanding. Our nightmare scenario would be if the ACC loses two and decides that 12 is the best number for their conference. Best case scenario would be for the ACC's TV contract to have a stipulation about needing 14 teams - requiring them to replace two in order to maintain their media deal.

Reaction Score
With the PAC12-B1G alliance, doubt either conference will expand anytime soon. SEC may - but if they do I see them going for Big12 teams.

Reaction Score

And there it is. Once again . . . Notre Dame screwing people (UConn & Rutgers in this case. Would love to see the ACC take both the Huskies and the Knights. The four groups mentioned above work work well. It must make too much sense.

As for Notre Dame . . . if they don't join a conference soon, I'd like to see every BCS conference discourage ("strongly discourage") their members from scheduling the Irish in any sport. Let Notre Dame plau the NEC & Ivy schools (that'd help their exposure in NYC & Boston).

Reaction Score
And there it is. Once again . . . Notre Dame screwing people (UConn & Rutgers in this case. Would love to see the ACC take both the Huskies and the Knights. The four groups mentioned above work work well. It must make too much sense.

As for Notre Dame . . . if they don't join a conference soon, I'd like to see every BCS conference discourage ("strongly discourage") their members from scheduling the Irish in any sport. Let Notre Dame plau the NEC & Ivy schools (that'd help their exposure in NYC & Boston).

I don't understand how you can turn an entity acting in its own best interests, when it has every contractual and ethical right to do so, into "screwing someone."

Have a good day.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how you can turn an entity acting in its own best interests, when it has every contractual and ethical right to do so, into "screwing someone."

Have a good day.

BL you can try to justify using the term "acting in their own interest" all that you want, but it falls short, this conference has allowed ND to have a safe haven for all sports and where did that get the BE? ND has acted selfishly and then accused Pitt and Cuse for being selfish when they jumped to the ACC. Please, stop defending ND's position, I've read all your posts about how ND gives us a shot at better better bowls. This conference will be on par with the MAC and CUSA once the AQ goes away.

Reaction Score
BL you can try to justify using the term "acting in their own interest" all that you want, but it falls short, this conference has allowed ND to have a safe haven for all sports and where did that get the BE? ND has acted selfishly and then accused Pitt and Cuse for being selfish when they jumped to the ACC. Please, stop defending ND's position, I've read all your posts about how ND gives us a shot at better better bowls. This conference will be on par with the MAC and CUSA once the AQ goes away.
Whatever you are taking, can I try some?

Reaction Score
if anyone's waiting for ND they're wasting there time. the only way they'll ever want to join a conference is if it becomes required to play in the marquee bowl games. that will never happen b/c they all want ND. also you'd be getting into antitrust issues if you did something like that. it's lame to continue to use them as an excuse for things happening/not happening. let's stop pretending like we don't know what they're going to do

the ACC proposed by RutgersAl is pretty much just a conglomeration of the old BE and the old ACC so it would preserve a lot of historical rivalries. personally i doubt they'll add anyone until after the next BCS negotiations start to take shape, which end after 2014. i'm afraid it's going to be another year of wait and see.

Reaction Score

Have a good day.

I'm having a great day. It would be in the best interests of every BCS conference to NOT have a separate set of "rules" for Notre Dame. The BCS is built on conferences, the exceptions usually are the Boise States & TCU who would love to be in a big conference but haven't (to this point) been able to get an invite. Notre Dame could be invited to probably any conference it so desire, but why have to submit yourself to actually winning a conference championship when you can get by because you did something back in the 40's, 50's & 60's.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm having a great day. It would be in the best interests of every BCS conference to NOT have a separate set of "rules" for Notre Dame.

Except the BCS wont do that... because the BCS is also run by the bowl committees and they all want Notre Dame in their bowl game. I understand that maybe Notre Dame shouldn't be in the position they are in, but they are... and the Big East would be a weaker conference without the association with Notre Dame. Unfortunately as long as there is a viable Big East, it's better that Notre Dame is a member than not.

Notre Dame also has a considerable amount of influence WITH the BCS. I think any shot the Big East has of retaining it's membership certainly is improved by having Notre Dame as a member of the Big East. It's not a good position to be in, but the only other alternative is worse.

Reaction Score
Except the BCS wont do that... because the BCS is also run by the bowl committees and they all want Notre Dame in their bowl game. I understand that maybe Notre Dame shouldn't be in the position they are in, but they are... and the Big East would be a weaker conference without the association with Notre Dame. Unfortunately as long as there is a viable Big East, it's better that Notre Dame is a member than not.

Notre Dame also has a considerable amount of influence WITH the BCS. I think any shot the Big East has of retaining it's membership certainly is improved by having Notre Dame as a member of the Big East. It's not a good position to be in, but the only other alternative is worse.

And therein lies the problem . . . they are allowed. I disagree with that premise. ND will experience difficulty in their non-football sports by being cut loose from the BE and having no conference affliation. That may actually force them to join a conference (in all sports) and while it probably won't be the Big East, they weren't gonna join anyway.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
And therein lies the problem . . . they are allowed. I disagree with that premise. ND will experience difficulty in their non-football sports by being cut loose from the BE and having no conference affliation. That may actually force them to join a conference (in all sports) and while it probably won't be the Big East, they weren't gonna join anyway.
You're absolutely right, EXCEPT the Big East would be a hell of a lot less likely to retain a BCS bid without Notre Dame's influence... or at least that's the conventional wisdom. It's a big game of chicken and the Big East front office is going to lose every time. The irony of the whole thing is that it's in Notre Dame's best interest for the Big East to have as good as a football reputation as possible ... and they'll do whatever they can EXCEPT join the Big East in football to improve it's football status.

Basically the way things stand... cutting loose Notre Dame for the Big East conference as a whole would do absolutely nothing to benefit the Big East as a whole. It would probably help out UConn or Rutgers when they join a new conference... but it's a risk not a single Big East member school really wants to take.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

The pods would ensure:

- minimized travel costs

North Pod
- Boston College
- Rutgers
- Syracuse
- UConn

MId - Atlantic Pod
- Maryland
- Pittsburgh
- Virginia
- Virginia Tech

Carolina Pod
- Duke
- North Carolina State
- Wake Forest

Southern Pod
- Clemson
- Florida State
- Georgia Tech
- Miami

how about the Original Colonies Conf.
i know + the fl schools...

Reaction Score
The PAC 12 floated the idea of pods when they were soliciting OU this summer - it was a non-starter for several teams. Playing in pods LIMITS your geographic reach - in terms of marketing and recruiting. Aside form viability, the allure of these conferences is to expand your geographic footprint, not limit it. For example, how would UConn benefit from being in a conference that saw it go to FL or SC or GA every couple of years? Why would MD give up traditional rivalries or why would the NC schools be in favor of an intra-state pod. While I think the ACC gets to 16 at some point, I think the idea of pods limits a conference rather than expnds it. The PAC 12 failed on this front; I am not sure why the ACC would thrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom