15 UConn Football players named to AAC All-Academic team | The Boneyard

15 UConn Football players named to AAC All-Academic team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/02/11-uconn-players-named-to-aac-all.html

Jimmy Bennett OT Sr. Alexandria, Va. Economics, Political Science and Accounting
Kyle Bockeloh C Fr. Houston, Texas Accounting
Jeremy Claflin S So. West Hartford Accounting
Casey Cochran QB Fr. Monroe. Communications
Steve Greene OG Sr. Edensburg, Pa. Sport Management and Political Science
Byron Jones CB Jr. New Britain Political Science and Economics
Andrea Knappe DL Fr. Silkeborg, Denmark Communications
Ellis Marder CB Fr. Windermere, Fla. Political Science
Sean Marinan DE Fr. Higganum. Management Information System
Scott McCummings QB Jr. Natick, Mass. Business
Obi Melinfonwu S Fr. South Grafton, Mass. Exploratory Studies
Adam Mueller LS Jr. Park Ridge, Ill. Communications
Zach Rugg OG Fr. Windber, Pa. History
Tony Tully WR So. East Sandwich, Mass. Exploratory Studies
Justin Wain P Fr. Wilmington, Mass. Exploratory Studies

Reaction Score
Good stuff!! Quick question...... It's been a few years since I walked at Gampel, but what the Hell is Exploratory Studies, and why are the kids from Mass majoring in it??

Reaction Score
Two questions. Is 15 a good number from the entire roster and how might that number compared to similar Universities and other P5 schools? Ok so basically three questions.

Reaction Score
Two questions. Is 15 a good number from the entire roster and how might that number compared to similar Universities and other P5 schools? Ok so basically three questions.

I'd rather celebrate the success of those Huskies who made the list but...

I guess it depends on what the other conferences use as the qualifying metrics and how tough the academics of the member schools are?

Louisville - 34
Rutgers - 33
Temple - 32
UCF - 31
Memphis - 28
USF -23
Cincy - 20
SMU - 20
UConn - 15
Houston -11

http://theamerican.org/news/2014/2/25/FB_0225145626.aspx?path=

Reaction Score

I guess it depends on what the other conferences use as the qualifying metrics and how tough the academics of the member schools are?

Louisville - 34
Rutgers - 33
Temple - 32
UCF - 31
Memphis - 28
USF -23
Cincy - 20
SMU - 20
UConn - 15
Houston -11

Absolutely and I agree, just being curious is all.

Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/02/11-uconn-players-named-to-aac-all.html

Jimmy Bennett OT Sr. Alexandria, Va. Economics, Political Science and Accounting
Kyle Bockeloh C Fr. Houston, Texas Accounting
Jeremy Claflin S So. West Hartford Accounting
Casey Cochran QB Fr. Monroe. Communications
Steve Greene OG Sr. Edensburg, Pa. Sport Management and Political Science
Byron Jones CB Jr. New Britain Political Science and Economics
Andrea Knappe DL Fr. Silkeborg, Denmark Communications
Ellis Marder CB Fr. Windermere, Fla. Political Science
Sean Marinan DE Fr. Higganum. Management Information System
Scott McCummings QB Jr. Natick, Mass. Business
Obi Melinfonwu S Fr. South Grafton, Mass. Exploratory Studies
Adam Mueller LS Jr. Park Ridge, Ill. Communications
Zach Rugg OG Fr. Windber, Pa. History
Tony Tully WR So. East Sandwich, Mass. Exploratory Studies
Justin Wain P Fr. Wilmington, Mass. Exploratory Studies

Obi has so much talent, and he's apparently smart too, bright future for that kid.

Casey is very advanced with communications, he and Geremy Davis seem to speak via telepathy.

Reaction Score
No wonder our O line couldn't learn GDL's blocking schemes. They were all too busy studying actual useful info. Good for them.

Reaction Score
I applaud those athletes above who were selected. Now, let's get down to facts. You need a 3.0 to make the All-Academic team. Period.
I'm a former student athlete, UCONN grad, who knows the rigors of education, practice, study and a personal life at a major university.
It is an exercise in time management.
So, let's get that out of the way....

FIRST:
-What happened to 65 other players.? The academic results are atrocious.
As an alumnus and former athlete, the above results {indicate the lack of commitment reflected in a life changing education where one can't attain at least a B average (3.0)} are abysmal
and understandably lead to a justification as to the events leading to a change in the direction of the program.

IMO, the academic results indicate a total lack of commitment not only in themselves but in the program and resulted in poor results on and off the field.
In other threads, we have discussed and read about the numerous changes taking place, all for the better. Personally, I am grateful there is a new
sheriff in town. Accountability in the classroom and in the weight room and in yourself (at least 10 players reported out of shape to begin
summer drills last year) leads to accountability ON THE FIELD. Giving a $ about everything you do in every aspect of your life leads to success
in your chosen vocation and profession as well as on the field. Very few get the opportunity to play on Sunday so they had better excel at something other than football.

Granted, not everybody is a 4.0....and not everyone, depending on one's major can hit 3.0. But, are you telling me that less than 25% of the team can't maintain a B
average? IMO, we should be seeing at least 50 % (at least 40 players) on the above list.

Take note on the list that 8 were freshman. To me, that is reflective complacency from the junior and senior classes. As upperclassmen, perhaps the lack of leadership and coaching
bred complacency. Leaders lead...out front in all aspects. Like many of you who are readers and participants of the BY.... we all know as UCONN grads that there is a period of adjustment
in the classroom, campus life and on the field. The above stats bear out a reverse....and please don't tell me that upper division classes are harder. I've been there.

Maybe, just maybe, there was a reason that one of the above student athletes above, a QB, also admitted to Yale led us to 3 victories at the end of the year. To me, CC continues to exhibit more than just on field
leadership.... but exhibits it off the field as well. Keep up the good work CC.

Also note that the above list contains a student athlete, who recently was a topic on this board, has to overcome a language barrier everyday and still had and met academic achievement-- GO THOR!!!
To the remainder, is English a second or third language??? In more ways than one, maybe, just maybe Andreas will represent all things great about the university now and in the many years to come.

It is one thing to hold the coaching staff accountable for the debacle of the PPGDL regime, but IMO... the players not on the above list should take heed and ask themselves if they did everything they could to succeed off the field. THEIR LIVES DEPEND ON IT-

This is the BY....to all my fellow Huskies..am I wrong to take this stance? Hey, tell me I'm too tough on them in the stance I take and that I am wrong. ..that's what this Boneyard is all about....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I applaud those athletes above who were selected. Now, let's get down to facts. You need a 3.0 to make the All-Academic team. Period.
I'm a former student athlete, UCONN grad, who knows the rigors of education, practice, study and a personal life at a major university.

FIRST:
As an alumnus and former athlete, the above results {indicate the lack of commitment reflected in a life changing education where one can't attain at least a B average (3.0)} are abysmal
and understandably lead to a justification as to the events leading to a change in the direction of the program.

IMO, the academic results indicate a total lack of commitment not only in themselves but in the program and resulted in poor results on and off the field.
In other threads, we have discussed and read about the numerous changes taking place, all for the better. Personally, I am grateful there is a new
sheriff in town. Accountability in the classroom and in the weight room and in yourself (at least 10 players reported out of shape to begin
summer drills last year) leads to accountability ON THE FIELD. Giving a $ about everything you do in every aspect of your life leads to success
in your chosen vocation and profession as well as on the field. Very few get the opportunity to play on Sunday so they had better excel at something other than football.

Granted, not everybody is a 4.0....and not everyone, depending on one's major can hit 3.0. But, are you telling me that less than 25% of the team can't maintain a B
average? IMO, we should be seeing at least 50 % (at least 40 players) on the above list.

Take note on the list that 8 were freshman. To me, that is reflective complacency from the junior and senior classes. As upperclassmen, perhaps the lack of leadership and coaching
bred complacency. Leaders lead...out front in all aspects. Like many of you who are readers and participants of the BY.... we all know as UCONN grads that there is a period of adjustment
in the classroom, campus life and on the field. The above stats bear out a reverse....and please don't tell me that upper division classes are harder. I've been there.

Maybe, just maybe, there was a reason that one of the above student athletes above, a QB, also admitted to Yale led us to 3 victories at the end of the year. To me, CC continues to exhibit more than just on field

Also note that the above list contains a student athlete, who recently was a topic on this board, has to overcome a language barrier everyday and still had and met academic achievement-- GO THOR!!!
To the remainder, is English a second or third language??? In more ways than one, maybe, just maybe Andreas will represent all things great about the university now and in the many years to come.

It is one thing to hold the coaching staff accountable for the debacle of the PPGDL regime, but IMO... the players not on the above list should take heed and ask themselves if they did everything they could to succeed off the field. THEIR LIVES DEPEND ON IT-

This is the BY....to all my fellow Huskies..am I wrong to take this stance? Hey, tell me I'm too tough on them in the stance I take and that I am wrong. ..that's what this Boneyard is all about....
I would think that starting the season losing 9 in a row is going to take the shine off the apple for starters. Looking at the other conference schools I see that UL had 33. People also call it a CC of sorts. I don't know but I think your assessment is a little harsh.

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a basketball halftime ceremony a couple months ago honoring athletes who made the Dean's list? I thought there were around 30 football players at that ceremony. I could be wrong.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Well,

FIRST:

One would hope the team could at least approach the grade distribution of the student body at large. What % of UConn undergrads get a 3.0? I dunno... for the sake of argument I´ll guess its around 50%. So if the team can get close to that I´m happy. Anything above that is gravy.

EDIT: BTW congratulations to those young men who made the list. Well done!

Reaction Score

Yup, a Rhodes Scholar on and off the field.

Reaction Score
Well,

One would hope the team could at least approach the grade distribution of the student body at large. What % of UConn undergrads get a 3.0? I dunno... for the sake of argument I´ll guess its around 50%. So if the team can get close to that I´m happy. Anything above that is gravy.
EDIT: BTW congratulations to those young men who made the list. Well done!

...which in my comments I mentioned a higher threshold-as you suggested at 50%. Accountability and success off the field leads to results in many avenues.

Reaction Score
I would think that starting the season losing 9 in a row is going to take the shine off the apple for starters. Looking at the other conference schools I see that UL had 33. People also call it a CC of sorts. I don't know but I think your assessment is a little harsh.

Mr. Jackl, life is harsh-and so are employers. Losing nine in a row is irrelevant to lack of academic results- IMO. We are talking off - field accountability as a building block to life and on the field success..

Reaction Score
Mr. Jackl, life is harsh-and so are employers. Losing nine in a row is irrelevant to lack of academic results- IMO. We are talking off - field accountability as a building block to life and on the field success..
Don't need the lecture I just thought it was harsh.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
...which in my comments I mentioned a higher threshold-as you suggested at 50%. Accountability and success off the field leads to results in many avenues.
I agree with you. i also beleive that there are unique synergies between high level athletics and academics that can only be found at American clloeges and universities. I think in the balance they are good for higher academics and both athletics and academics are better for being together rather than separate as they are in other countries.

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a basketball halftime ceremony a couple months ago honoring athletes who made the Dean's list? I thought there were around 30 football players at that ceremony. I could be wrong.

I think it was 30+ athletes from all sports, but not sure. Don't we get to count Jimmy Bennett 3 times? Pretty impressive. I think he had 2 of them by the end of his 4th year.

Reaction Score

FIRST:

Don't have enough information to make an informed decision but I understand your line of thinking. Diaco's mission is to recruit the best student athletes that fit the winning model he is planning to build at UCONN. My assumption (could of course be wrong) is that in
three years those 15 players will increase to at least 30. That's a big reason why he hired Ernest Jones. I am confident that Jones replacement will be an individual that will hold the players to a higher standard along with BD and the rest of the staff.

Reaction Score

Louisville - 34
Rutgers - 33
Temple - 32
UCF - 31
Memphis - 28
USF -23
Cincy - 20
SMU - 20
UConn - 15
Houston -11

Given all that has been reported about goings-on at places like UNC and Oklahoma State, shouldn't good old fashioned Yankee skepticism rule any surface evaluation of these numbers? Saying that 15 of 85 is not good enough is okay, I guess. But, I'm unwilling to say that "15" is horrible compared to "34" or "28" until I see the related detail. One thing. The list reflecting Majors of UCONN players suggest real purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom