#15 Ohio St @ Iowa - 1/13/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#15 Ohio St @ Iowa - 1/13/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I did not keep count. How many points did Clark score this game?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I watched this game, as well (just got way too busy afterwards to comment yesterday). A few things:
  • As most of you know, I was hoping Caitlin Clark would be wearing a different uniform this season. I'm a huge fan and agree with the Ohio State assistant coach who thinks she can be a pro (maybe not quite now, but soon). Long-range shooting, court vision, decision making, as well as her ability to drive and stop on a dime and hit the pull-up jumper.
  • On the "let's work on it a bit" side, I think she plays a lot and gets a bit tired. She was at her best in the 1st half. Besides lots of time on the court, she's really Iowa's only consistent creator, so there's a lot of pressure and defensive attention (more on that in a bit).
-- Maybe some getting older and/or work in the weight room could help a bit there, too.
-- And, yes, she does wear her emotions on her sleeve (as a commentator noted, this is no poker player). However, she does this when something goes wrong with a teammate and while it could be passed off as "that's just Caitlin," it could also rankle some. Fine line, there.
-- Still, I'm still a fan and root for her.

- This does not appear to be the Mitchell-era Ohio State teams. Never in a decade did I think they'd beat Iowa without Dorka Juhasz (who came along for the trip to support her teammates). They play hard, support each other and move the ball around. Braxton Miller offers a calming presence and Jacy Sheldon has a bit of Iowa's Katherine Doyle in her play.

Sophomore Madison Greene stood out for me. Man, is she quick! She can take it to the basket (maybe a bit too much at times), and her defense was superb. Six steals and she made Clark work for everything in the 2nd half, which had to wear on Clark, along with the OSU press.

Lastly, some credit to Ohio State's coaching staff for adjusting during the game: putting full-court pressure on Iowa both resulted in turnovers and wearing the Hawkeyes down. They also held Center Monika Czinano to 9 points, way below her average, and eventually fouled her out.

Before going all McGuff on you, I see Tamika Jeter and Carla Morrow are into their 2nd years on staff and perhaps their WNBA (and other) experience is helping out. OSU played and executed well. If Juhasz comes back, this could be an interesting ensemble.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I watched this game, as well (just got way too busy afterwards to comment yesterday). A few things:
  • As most of you know, I was hoping Caitlin Clark would be wearing a different uniform this season. I'm a huge fan and agree with the Ohio State assistant coach who thinks she can be a pro (maybe not quite now, but soon). Long-range shooting, court vision, decision making, as well as her ability to drive and stop on a dime and hit the pull-up jumper.
  • On the "let's work on it a bit" side, I think she plays a lot and gets a bit tired. She was at her best in the 1st half. Besides lots of time on the court, she's really Iowa's only consistent creator, so there's a lot of pressure and defensive attention (more on that in a bit).
-- Maybe some getting older and/or work in the weight room could help a bit there, too.
-- And, yes, she does wear her emotions on her sleeve (as a commentator noted, this is no poker player). However, she does this when something goes wrong with a teammate and while it could be passed off as "that's just Caitlin," it could also rankle some. Fine line, there.
-- Still, I'm still a fan and root for her.

- This does not appear to be the Mitchell-era Ohio State teams. Never in a decade did I think they'd beat Iowa without Dorka Juhasz (who came along for the trip to support her teammates). They play hard, support each other and move the ball around. Braxton Miller offers a calming presence and Jacy Sheldon has a bit of Iowa's Katherine Doyle in her play.

Sophomore Madison Greene stood out for me. Man, is she quick! She can take it to the basket (maybe a bit too much at times), and her defense was superb. Six steals and she made Clark work for everything in the 2nd half, which had to wear on Clark, along with the OSU press.

Lastly, some credit to Ohio State's coaching staff for adjusting during the game: putting full-court pressure on Iowa both resulted in turnovers and wearing the Hawkeyes down. They also held Center Monika Czinano to 9 points, way below her average, and eventually fouled her out.

Before going all McGuff on you, I see Tamika Jeter and Carla Morrow are into their 2nd years on staff and perhaps their WNBA (and other) experience is helping out. OSU played and executed well. If Juhasz comes back, this could be an interesting ensemble.

Who took the charge that was Czinano's last foul? That was excellent timing and a willingness to sacrifice one's body you don't always see with someone of Czinano's size.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Who took the charge that was Czinano's last foul? That was excellent timing and a willingness to sacrifice one's body you don't always see with someone of Czinano's size.
Braxton Miller I believe

Reaction Score
Braxton Miller I believe
Appreciate it. Missed most of the game and I have to rewatch on the BTN+ app. Saw that play and the tail end of OT.

I'm a big fan of players willing to take a charge. It's not easy to do and it's important to land safely.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Braxton Miller I believe

Appreciate it. Missed most of the game and I have to rewatch on the BTN+ app. Saw that play and the tail end of OT.

I'm a big fan of players willing to take a charge. It's not easy to do and it's important to land safely.

I thought it was Miller, too. She's the senior leadership on that team and helped double down on the post all game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom