Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
104-82 Final.

Boston 26, 16, 6 blk
Beal 22, 4 reb 3/5 3pt
Henderson 14 pts, 10 ast, 2 TOs

Dungee 22, but ran out of gas maybe, and finished 8/18.

2nd consecutive 100+ point game against SEC foes. I doubt we extend that to three, against UGA on Thursday night.

Beal set another career game high in as many nights. She was 7-11 overall, 3-5 from the three, and 5-6 at the FT line, which was the biggest shock. In fact, both her and Lele Grissett were a combined 8-10 at the charity stripe tonight, when both were shackled with sub-40% FT averages coming into the game. Hopefully this means they have been practicing hard on their foul shooting, and this good shooting continues.

Henderson also set a new career high in assists tonight, with her 10. Pretty Ty Harris-like numbers.

The Gamecocks were 40-74 (54.1%) overall, 8-15 (53.3%) from the three, and 16-22 (72.7%) from the charity line. They pulled down 50 rebounds and 21 assists. I always say a team that shoots 50%+, pulls 50+ rebounds and dishes 20+ dimes in the same game will never lose that game.

What happened with Dungee late in the game seemed to be the same fate that befell Rhyne Howard earlier in our game versus UK. It's mighty hard to rely on one main player to carry you, especially against a quality defense....

Reaction Score
2nd consecutive 100+ point game against SEC foes. I doubt we extend that to three, against UGA on Thursday night.

Beal set another career game high in as many nights. She was 7-11 overall, 3-5 from the three, and 5-6 at the FT line, which was the biggest shock. In fact, both her and Lele Grissett were a combined 8-10 at the charity stripe tonight, when both were shackled with sub-40% FT averages coming into the game. Hopefully this means they have been practicing hard on their foul shooting, and this good shooting continues.

Henderson also set a new career high in assists tonight, with her 10. Pretty Ty Harris-like numbers.

The Gamecocks were 40-74 (54.1%) overall, 8-15 (53.3%) from the three, and 16-22 (72.7%) from the charity line. They pulled down 50 rebounds and 21 assists. I always say a team that shoots 50%+, pulls 50+ rebounds and dishes 20+ dimes in the same game will never lose that game.

What happened with Dungee late in the game seemed to be the same fate that befell Rhyne Howard earlier in our game versus UK. It's mighty hard to rely on one main player to carry you, especially against a quality defense....

Granted Arkansas is a poor defensive team without much size, but thought Carolina was patient and ran good stuff and rarely got out of control on the offensive end.

Boston stretching her game is big, but ...

If Beal is going to take and make threes, we're going to be hard to beat.

Maybe the team is finding itself a bit now.

This the highest I've been on this team this season. Dawn is doing a great job with them.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Whenever SC gets beat, it's almost always a huge team effort. We recently haven't been the team that gets beaten by one player.. which is why teams like Arkansas and Kentucky STRUGGLE vs. SC

Reaction Score
I think the UK game was Destanni’s official coming out as this programs PG. She’s playing with tons of confidence like she knows this is her team. Reminded me of Ty a great deal tonight.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I just thought we looked like the old South Carolina teams tonight as far as physicality.. there was no finesse. We attacked Arkansas tonight and looked like the aggressor, which is atypical because if you watch Arkansas play they are almost always the aggressor.. they come at you in waves but SC just looked like a school yard bully tonight.

Reaction Score
Henderson is definitely becoming one of the top points guards in the country! She has done an admiral job taking over for the programs best PG yet.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
SC looked great tonight and Boston is playing like she's on a mission. Arkansas's defense was atrocious...theyre at best a Sweet 16 team with no size inside. Dungee is a phenomenal scorer but gave no effort defensively on several possessions. SC vs A&M should be a great battle with 2 of the nation's best front courts going head to head.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So ready for Chelsea Dungee to graduate. Lol
I saw her live in an NCAA Tourney 1st and 2nd round games here in Seattle during Kelsey Plum's Sr. year. That was when she was still a Fr. at Oklahoma. That seems like it was quite a while ago...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Gonna be hard to ever win anything of significant then. Need some type of post presence, even if they are the lengthy athletic type.

Just don't see how launching 3's is success long term. It can pull off some upsets from time to time.
Its sort of a (catch 22) situation. If your team is geared to guards creating their own offensee with minimal assists, that does not make it a desirable landing spot fot post players who are reliant on guards setting them up with passes. Neighbors was lucky to have Chantel Osahor come in at the same time as Plum. She was suited to that team. However if you are a non ball handler on the Arkansas team you will never see the ball and just resign your self to playing defense and other blue collar stuff. Giomi from Oregon St would be a perfect fit for that team.

Reaction Score
Its sort of a (catch 22) situation. If your team is geared to guards creating their own offensee with minimal assists, that does not make it a desirable landing spot fot post players who are reliant on guards setting them up with passes. Neighbors was lucky to have Chantel Osahor come in at the same time as Plum. She was suited to that team. However if you are a non ball handler on the Arkansas team you will never see the ball and just resign your self to playing defense and other blue collar stuff. Giomi from Oregon St would be a perfect fit for that team.
Speaking of which, does Boston remind anybody else of Osahor? The rebounding prowess, skill, physicality, shooting range. Boston is a better shot-blocker, but I don’t recall Osahor being a poor post defender.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Speaking of which, does Boston remind anybody else of Osahor? The rebounding prowess, skill, physicality, shooting range. Boston is a better shot-blocker, but I don’t recall Osahor being a poor post defender.
Uh...Osahor was one of the more unorthodox players I've ever seen. I would have a hard time comparing anyone to her. She was also probably sub 6 foot without shoes, regardless of what her listed height was, and was never really in basketball shape. Boston has physical tools well beyond what Osahor was working with. Chantel was incredibly productive all things considered. Also Boston I guess has added the 3 point shot to her repertoire, but Osahor spent quite a bit of time behind the arc, and had that unusual flat footed, no jump shot w/ just a flick of her mighty wrists. Another distinction is that Boston very likely will have a WNBA career whereas Osahor was cut soon after being drafted and I don't think has gotten the slightest interest from the league since.

Reaction Score
Completely ceding the offensive boards is probably not a Gray strategy when you struggle on the defensive boards as well.

Way too much stress on shot making.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I just thought we looked like the old South Carolina teams tonight as far as physicality.. there was no finesse. We attacked Arkansas tonight and looked like the aggressor, which is atypical because if you watch Arkansas play they are almost always the aggressor.. they come at you in waves but SC just looked like a school yard bully tonight.
SC is an elite team and many of us have been saying that all year, especially when they work the game inside-out like they did against Arkansas. However the point has to be made that that gap between SC and any of the other SEC teams is huge. The SEC is loaded with 7 or 8 teams in the 14-42 range, all capable of beating each other and losing to teams in the 50+ ranking as well. The current NET ranking bears this out. Ironcially and the MSU fans don't want to hear this but MSU is ranked #35, behind #15 A&M, #13 Georgia, #27 Alabama, #19 Tennessee, #14 Kentucky, #26 Arkansas which I think is a bit of a misnomer until some of these suspect teams play the higher echelon teams like A&M, SC and Kentucky. I am not sold on Georgia, Tennessee or even Alabama against these teams.
All that said, I don't see anyone in the SEC coming close to beating SC this year or in the next 3 years.

Reaction Score
. . .

All that said, I don't see anyone in the SEC coming close to beating SC this year or in the next 3 years.

I don't see anybody wrestling the SEC crown away from SCar in the next three years. However, I do see some SEC team beating us in a game during the next three years. Don't know who, but I don't see four consecutive undefeated conference seasons being a real possibility. Bad nights happen to great teams. A Colorado can beat a Stanford.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The dearth of talent on all the other SEC teams as on current rosters or signees over the next 2 years is why I say that as well. From an X's and O's perspective, there is no one in this lot of 13 other coaches I think can scheme anything to offset the wealth of talent and Dawn's experience but far be it for me to allay your concerns... :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom