#14 Georgia @ UCLA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#14 Georgia @ UCLA

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
But UCLA already had a big loss to Loyola Marymount.

Yes, that was one of the losses to WCC teams. Maybe this W cancels out that L.

Reaction Score
That might explain the loss to LMU, since they weren't the underdog in that game.
LOL.Perhaps! But if I am not mistaken, they were also missing key players in that game.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I won't start a new thread but Oregon St. is crushing Arkansas-Pine Bluff. 48-10 at halftime. Pivec already has a double-double 12 points 11 boards. For a guard. At halftime. I wonder what the all time record for rebounds by a guard is? Slocum also has 12. Rueck is substituting liberally again, everybody has played except for Aquino who is out with an injury I believe. Beavs aren't shooting the 3 ball all that well and too many TO's, but facing a vastly overmatched opponent. OSU usually doesn't force a bunch of TOs themselves but they have 13 steals, 7 by backup center Thropay. 30-11 rebound margin and 14-2 assists differential.
Aquino has been in uniform for both games. Not sure of her status. No apparent braces or bandages on her feet, legs or arms. There was a post on the osu's forum where a poster asked about her status and she replied she will be back soon. When I saw her in hs last year I thought she would a project for Rueck and staff, as he did with Hamblin and Gulich, both who got better each year. IMO, Aquino wasnt ready for college play, last year. I hope it works out for her.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I am in shock. In the past UCLA would underachieve in their preseason games, especially when favored. Perhaps Close is a better underdog coach?
Not sure this claim is backed up by the facts. It's more a case of UCLA being a very good team at home and not as good on the road. Let's recall that UCLA owned the nation's second-longest home winning streak until UConn snapped it a year ago.
  • Last year UCLA beat Baylor at home but lost at Oklahoma State.
  • In 2016-17 UCLA went undefeated at home (including conference wins over Oregon State, Stanford, and Washington, all of which were very good that year) but lost in their nonconference on the road at Baylor and South Carolina (neither of which were they expected to win).
  • In 2015-16 UCLA lost a close game at home to South Carolina and a neutral-court game to Notre Dame (again, neither of which were they expected to win). In Pac-12 play they went undefeated at home but lost multiple games on the road.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just for some perspective, Pine Bluff went 6-21 last year and 6-12 in the SWAC, which was dead last among the 32 D-I conference in the RPI. Rueck is taking a page out of Mulkey's book in scheduling teams like this.
Historically Arkansas Pine-Bluff was one of those teams I called the (well, its a bad word). They (historically) have played a bunch of the better Division I teams, mostly Power 5 or high mid-major, and paid the price (as you can see they were apparently 0-9 OOC last year). However, I suspect they got paid (financially) for the wuppins. Can't think of any other reason.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Former Maryland player Jenna Staiti is a perfect 10-10 for the season thus far. Too bad I don't get the PAC 10 network.
In this Georgia game Jenna only played 1 minute.

Reaction Score
Crushing loss for Georgia. Are they worse than people thought or is UCLA better than people thought?

Perhaps neither? It's very very early. Teams are finding their way.

Geno's teams are always ready to roll in Nov that we forget it is normal for teams to be up and down at the start of the season.

Reaction Score
Yes, Pine Bluff is dreadfully bad. Now 60-16, can't tell much from a game like this. Today is their school field trip day, attendance around 8800. Not bad for 11 am start midweek, Gill is stuffed full of screaming kids.
OSU performed as you would expect, and, everyone got on the court for the Beavs. Schedule starts getting tougher now.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UCLA plays UNC..Cheat... Kentucky and South Florida next week in a holiday tournament. Hopefully they roadgrade the heels.

Reaction Score
I've always liked Taja Cole. I never understood why she went to Louisville after they had already got a verbal from Asia Durr. But that happens alot I guess.
I’m not a Taja Cole fan. She’s finally scoring some points. Connely grabbed some of Taja’s minutes last year. Taja has holes in her game.
Onyenwere and Kennedy were too much for Ga. Onyenwere is an incredible inside player in traffic. She’s a putback machine. What hops and all around game. Love the announcer mentioning her combination of having “gifts” most don’t have plus being a hard worker makes her special.

Reaction Score
The one player who's been pretty much a bust for UCLA has been Drummer, now in her senior year. She gives them next to nothing on offense.

Ha, and of course just as I post that she makes an and-one.

Joke's really on me. Then she gets a strip and a quasi-assist to give UCLA a 5-point lead.
You are right up until this sequence. Drummond played like a good player in the final quarter. They needed her. She’s a 5th year player so it’s time! She botched a terrific would be game winner verse Oregon last year in the final seconds. Canada set her up beautifully. Instead, Ducks won in OT

gipke1

LMULionFan
Reaction Score
That might explain the loss to LMU, since they weren't the underdog in that game.

I doubt Close even scouted LMU...The pregame notes on the website went something like this:

"Played LMU nine times. They've never beat UCLA....this is the 10th time we've played them".

I expected maybe just a little bit of detail? Especially about Gabby?

I fear we no longer have the "element of surprise..."

Reaction Score
Not sure this claim is backed up by the facts. It's more a case of UCLA being a very good team at home and not as good on the road. Let's recall that UCLA owned the nation's second-longest home winning streak until UConn snapped it a year ago.
  • Last year UCLA beat Baylor at home but lost at Oklahoma State.
  • In 2016-17 UCLA went undefeated at home (including conference wins over Oregon State, Stanford, and Washington, all of which were very good that year) but lost in their nonconference on the road at Baylor and South Carolina (neither of which were they expected to win).
  • In 2015-16 UCLA lost a close game at home to South Carolina and a neutral-court game to Notre Dame (again, neither of which were they expected to win). In Pac-12 play they went undefeated at home but lost multiple games on the road.
My perspective was no based on the last couple of years, when they had a really loaded team, but a few years before that.

Reaction Score
My perspective was no based on the last couple of years, when they had a really loaded team, but a few years before that.
That #1 class they had -
Kelli Hayes, Canada, Billings, Drummond (bust) Caldwell (bust) was still very good overall. Drummond may contribute more this year. Put the school on the map for 3 years and 4 of the 5 players stayed at UCLA! Big difference from the #1 class that preceded them where all 5 transferred from NC

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That #1 class they had -
Kelli Hayes, Canada, Billings, Drummond (bust) Caldwell (bust) was still very good overall. Drummond may contribute more this year. Put the school on the map for 3 years and 4 of the 5 players stayed at UCLA! Big difference from the #1 class that preceded them where all 5 transferred from NC
To me it's fascinating that of the 3 McDonald's AAs of that 5-person recruiting class, two have been "busts" or something close to it: Caldwell (transferred after one year, never amounted to much) and Drummond (redshirted due to injury in her second year, hasn't really progressed). Billings was very raw in HS and wasn't ranked particularly high, but wow did she improve.

Reaction Score
To me it's fascinating that of the 3 McDonald's AAs of that 5-person recruiting class, two have been "busts" or something close to it: Caldwell (transferred after one year, never amounted to much) and Drummond (redshirted due to injury in her second year, hasn't really progressed). Billings was very raw in HS and wasn't ranked particularly high, but wow did she improve.

In fairness, Caldwell suffered a fairly bad knee injury at UCLA which kept her out of the NIT, which they won without her. I think she also had a pretty bad injury at Tech which caused her to miss her final season there. I also agree that Billings really did grow way past expectations and it's a strong rebuke to the argument that Close doesn't develop players. Actually, assistant coach Tony Newnan worked with her but you get me.

And it's Drummer and I agree she has never shown much which is a surprise.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I also agree that Billings really did grow way past expectations and it's a strong rebuke to the argument that Close doesn't develop players.

I think a really motivated, hard working player can improve and develop in spite of a coach. I didn't see a whole lot of growth from UW players during most of June Daugherty's tenure. Most of them peaked as sophs and then plateaued. One exception was Cameo Hicks, and I give credit for that to Hicks herself. I haven't followed UCLA as closely so I'm not sure if it's a similar case.

Reaction Score
Billings was the lowest ranked of the 5 at #37 and she and Canada made the pros.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Crushing loss for Georgia. Are they worse than people thought or is UCLA better than people thought?

Probably both...not sold on either team yet, but I think UCLA will be better than I anticipated they'd be entering the season. They have some good players.

gipke1

LMULionFan
Reaction Score
I think UCLA is going to be great!

Especially when Charisma Osborne, who I've had the pleasure of watching develop over the years, gets there next year. She's an extremely gifted Point Guard and comes out of the same Windward HS/GBL Lady Rebels AAU programs that both Jordin and Chels came out of.

I'm (still) a season ticket holder and fan of the UCLA program - I just wish Cori Close would do a BETTER job. Both in scouting and preparation before games, player development, even (local) recruiting opportunities.

It's no secret that she has somehow managed to alienate some of the local coaches. CA is a "hot bed" of basketball talent. Nothing at all against Texas/Southern, Pacific Northwest, Mid-west and back East girls. Love 'em! But it makes sense (to me at least) to take care of your own backyard?

Having actually been engaged through the recruitment process by UCLA and several others (Power5, BCS, Mid-majors and D2) - I can honestly see why?! The message has got be more than a broad "Hey! we're UCLA, John Wooden legacy...etc." One of my friends told me and I agree, that, at least with the top 100 "elite" players (pick whatever ranking system you'd like ESPN HoopGurlz, PN, etc.)- the advantages are on the player's side. There's (way) more scholarships and offers out there than elite players that are coveted, especially in certain positions (elite POST/center, PG leadership, etc.)

UCLA pros:
Is a great school academically
Has a reputation for developing the individual person (e.g. You're not there just for basketball)
Is headed up by good people who seem to genuinely care
Has a fantastic legacy
Great campus, location, etc.

On the other hand:
Has yet to win a National Championship (Women's Basketball)
The jury is still out on the "development" issue
Is not consistently well coached or even well prepared seemingly for the various "match-ups" in games
Finally - NOT having a clear cut IDENTITY.

What do they stand for?
What are they trying to accomplish?
How does the scholar/athlete fit into those plans!

At LMU we knew what we were trying to do. Help build a great program that historically has not been known for it's women's basketball. That's exciting. And all the while has all of the pros and benefits (great campus, academics) of a large and public university like UCLA and then some.

From a fan's point of view there are several examples, but just simple stuff like not knowing whether or not to play zone vs man (to man) defense. Extremely frequent and mind-boggling substitutions (especially when it seems a player is getting "in rhythm"), letting the players "have their own way" on the court. Counting on the sheer athleticism to get by against an opposing athletic AND skilled, experienced team.

This is from a FAN and long-time supporter of the program (and I guess I'm actually on the wrong board for this :) But this thread got me going!

This stuff is not happening without notice and it needs to be corrected.

So Cal basketball is alive and well - what with USC's rebuilding through Mark Trakh, UCLA and yes, even LMU.

Very exciting times for fans of the women's game. I go to LMU, UCLA, USC, CSUDH, Long Beach State, high school, AAU, ball - even hang out watching (and sometimes playing with) my kids, nieces, nephews, cousins, etc. No Thanksgiving dinner was ever complete without a family basketball game breaking out after dinner.

Here's hoping they get it together. I'll always be there cheering for the Bruins - except when they play my Lions!! >;)

Reaction Score
In fairness, Caldwell suffered a fairly bad knee injury at UCLA which kept her out of the NIT, which they won without her. I think she also had a pretty bad injury at Tech which caused her to miss her final season there. I also agree that Billings really did grow way past expectations and it's a strong rebuke to the argument that Close doesn't develop players. Actually, assistant coach Tony Newnan worked with her but you get me.

And it's Drummer and I agree she has never shown much which is a surprise.
I didn't know Caldwell had two injuries. I remember vaguely the first one at UCLA. Not fair of me to refer to her as a bust when you can't play injury free. She had a few games at Tex Tech that showed promise but I think that's when she reinjured her knee. I was surprised when I checked a Cal Bear box score to check on McKenzie Forbes and saw Racee Caldwell playing at Cal.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom