136-0 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

136-0

Reaction Score
I do give spanos credit for mixing things up. I would rather him in a damn heartbeat over an obstinate stubborn SOB. Bringing in a new set of eyes to at least try and help the offense is at least a sign he is trying. The talent gap is just mind boggling.
Boom, in a nutshell!

Spanos can try a new quarterback every week, but guess what, many on the O-line still can't block, many of the RBs can't break tackles, many of the WRs can't get open, and many on the defense can't tackle. Because for the most part we can't recruit enough FBS 3-star prospects who are willing to spend 4-5 years in Storrs, CT. So our ceiling will never rise above 3-4 wins annually, against the likes of HC, Yale, and UMass.

Reaction Score
It also should be noted that Uconn ran back it's first kickoff for a TD in 10 years. Baby steps.

I enjoy the color commentary, but I noticed, (if I missed it I am wrong), that no mention of the fact was made of Brewton switching the ball from his right arm(the "inside" arm relating to the defense) to his left arm (the "outside" arm), at about the 28. He saw the defense was going to be on his inside, ( the right), so he switched up the ball from the inside to the outside. Now you know you have the sideline as your own "blocker" and can use your inside arm to protect and parry-"stiff arm".
I don't see that enough anymore. Gives me an insight to Brewton's own confidence and situation awareness.

Reaction Score
Boom, in a nutshell!

Spanos can try a new quarterback every week, but guess what, many on the O-line still can't block, many of the RBs can't break tackles, many of the WRs can't get open, and many on the defense can't tackle. Because for the most part we can't recruit enough FBS 3-star prospects who are willing to spend 4-5 years in Storrs, CT. So our ceiling will never rise above 3-4 wins annually, against the likes of HC, Yale, and UMass.
Stars or no stars just need good players. Coulda shoulda woulda transfer portal for more proven players.

Reaction Score
WR can't catch, OL doesn't block, RB make no one miss, DL can't get pressure, LB don't tackle, and DB can't cover. Other than that things are going well...
You forgot QB can't throw.

Reaction Score
It’s not about lowering standards across the board. It’s about allotting about 25% of roster space to individuals who are reaches academically but who the staff feels will do well with academic attention.

I can assure you not every player on Stanford or Northwestern meets their schools stringent admission standards.

Reaction Score
And just to add, people point to schools like Boise State who rose to prominence like it can be done easily - have you seen their admission standards for athletes?

We need to loosen the standards.

we have lost all conference type players, heck even defensive national player of the year award winners that wanted to come here but couldn’t because of academics. That has to change.

Reaction Score
And just to add, people point to schools like Boise State who rose to prominence like it can be done easily - have you seen their admission standards for athletes?

We need to loosen the standards.

we have lost all conference type players, heck even defensive national player of the year award winners that wanted to come here but couldn’t because of academics. That has to change.
Why should we? According to US News UConn is one of the top rated public universities. We shouldn't be a football factory if that mean that we accept room temperature IQ players.

Reaction Score
Why should we? According to US News UConn is one of the top rated public universities. We shouldn't be a football factory if that mean that we accept room temperature IQ players.
Yet we do it in basketball in some cases.

the standards need to be relaxed for a percentage of the team. It will not hurt US News rankings of UCONN as a university.

In fact, I would argue that a very good football team would increase applications and possibly increase UCONNs ranking. Remember it wasn’t too long ago when UCONN was a safety school, it’s rise coincided with Basketball teams emergence.

Reaction Score
Yet we do it in basketball in some cases.

the standards need to be relaxed for a percentage of the team. It will not hurt US News rankings of UCONN as a university.

In fact, I would argue that a very good football team would increase applications and possibly increase UCONNs ranking. Remember it wasn’t too long ago when UCONN was a safety school, it’s rise coincided with Basketball teams emergence.
But what percentage of the team? Do we lower standards on the hockey or baseball teams? If so, what's the percentage?

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is saying to lower it to Neon (Shaq) in "Blue Chips" levels, or at least I hope not, but maybe some leeway here and there if it is a question of .1 on the GPA or 50 points on the SAT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Without looking at the list for more, UF (5) and FSU (19) are top 25 universities and they can take any player with a pulse. Clemson is #30.

Reaction Score
What IQ test did you take to get into college?

Reaction Score
What IQ test did you take to get into college?
Truthfully, I went to MCC (Manchester Community College), I didn't think I used my SAT to get in there. After MCC, I worked at a family business, then 14 years after I did a correspondence course with computer programming. Now I'm retired, so I'm doing correspondence course in naval architecture.

I know I'm smart, li forgot what my IQ score was. As I tell my kids, never stop learning. I won't ever stop learning...

Reaction Score
@temery i demand NIL rights
Pay Me GIF

Reaction Score
Truthfully, I went to MCC (Manchester Community College), I didn't think I used my SAT to get in there. After MCC, I worked at a family business, then 14 years after I did a correspondence course with computer programming. Now I'm retired, so I'm doing correspondence course in naval architecture.

I know I'm smart, li forgot what my IQ score was. As I tell my kids, never stop learning. I won't ever stop learning...
The point is, you didn't take an IQ test to get into college. Your comment about "room temperature IQ players" was off base because nobody takes an IQ test to go to college. Furthermore, an IQ of 70 or lower ("room temperature") is generally considered to have an intellectual disability (your generation would likely call them "mentally 'r word'"- which is changed to "dumb" on this site).

And no, you didn't use an SAT to get in to community college, nobody does that either. Everyone is admitted if they graduate HS or get a GED.

SAT/ACT scores, transcripts, interviews, essays, etc. there are a number of factors that go into the admission process. IQ isn't one of them.

There are so many reasons a kid could have mediocre grades or poor SAT scores and yet still be an intelligent person capable of earning a college degree with the right guidance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought this was a thread about Geno's next 4 seasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom