#13 Kentucky @ #12 Mississippi St - 1/03/21 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

#13 Kentucky @ #12 Mississippi St - 1/03/21

Who will win this game ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I don’t think so. Not from what I seen. SC has gotten better since that NC State loss
They were also better before the loss. The team with a legit post beat them.

Reaction Score
I just don't think the margin in the sec is wide. Let me elaborate. From 1-5.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think you can only move us up, not drop us down despite this final result, but that's just my opinion! Kentucky has gotten better, definitely a Top 10 team imo - possibly 2nd best team in the SEC.
If Kentucky's top 10 then DePaul is top 5.

Just no excuse for all those defensive lapses to blow the lead down the stretch. Vic would've had a stroke watching that.

Reaction Score
Who is your top 10 Plebe?

To be quite frank I have watched a lot of sloppy basketball overall so far. I think especially during COVID year some teams were definitely impacted much more than others.

Reaction Score
Good game. I'm actually pleased with most of the play even though we lost. We improved in turnovers, free throws, and rebounds. The offensive flow looked much improved. Key turnovers and bad decisions at the end did us in along with Rhyne Howard proving why she was the SEC POY last year. I still think we lack some maturity and strong leadership on the court, but I'm hoping that can be developed this year.

Give Kentucky credit. They are a good team that has collected some talent through the transfer portal. We didn't defend the 3, and they made us pay.

Reaction Score
Rickea Jackson needs to turn those 10-22 shooting games into 14-16/22 for Mississippi State to be a top ten team.

Howard is so impressive. Truly the total package.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Both teams will be better going forward, elevated their level of play. Howard had a quietly great game, if it's possible for 33 points to be quiet.

Reaction Score
Good game. I'm actually pleased with most of the play even though we lost. We improved in turnovers, free throws, and rebounds. The offensive flow looked much improved. Key turnovers and bad decisions at the end did us in along with Rhyne Howard proving why she was the SEC POY last year. I still think we lack some maturity and strong leadership on the court, but I'm hoping that can be developed this year.

Give Kentucky credit. They are a good team that has collected some talent through the transfer portal. We didn't defend the 3, and they made us pay.
I loved the game, exciting throughout. I thought our defense was fine, Kentucky was lights out from outside and it is hard to beat a team hitting that many 3, but you live by the 3 when they are going in, you die by the 3 when they don’t.

I think Matharu deserves to start. My starting five would be Matharu, Jackson, Carter, Mingo-Young(Love the way she plays ), and Taylor. If Wiggins can return to form she should be considered as a starter.

IMHO, we are better than I believed we would be with Nikki as the new coach. PLAY BALL!

Reaction Score
So basically Boston is not a legit post? Ok shade
Where did I say that? Or even imply that? Actually I was complimenting Boston. But who, other than Kinnane, has Boston matched up against?

My implication was that if you can limit Boston then S Car is vulnerable.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Give UK credit. We are still a work in progress. Lots of talent but we still have a ways to go before we gel as a team but as some of noted we are making progress. Still early in the season.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
For anyone who watched this game, review the third quarter and see how many times R. Jackson traveled, especially when she drove to the basket. It was at least three times and obvious.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Rickea Jackson needs to turn those 10-22 shooting games into 14-16/22 for Mississippi State to be a top ten team.

Howard is so impressive. Truly the total package.

Jackson and Howard had a similar stat-line from the field. Howard just added free throws for a higher point total. MSU has better contributors around Jackson..in this game at least. Not saying Kentucky doesn't have anyone around Howard, but they went cold to end the game and it was pretty much all Howard.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
MSU is great offensively but IMO they aren't as fundamentally sound defensively under McCray as they were under Vic
Wait what? Um, 1 game does not a season make...show me a >80 average against P5 opponents and I will grant you a great offensive team but with scores of 62, 63 and 78 (before Overtime) I am not granting them a "great offensive team"....They aren't even a good offensive team yet.

Reaction Score
Wait what? Um, 1 game does not a season make...show me a >80 average against P5 opponents and I will grant you a great offensive team but with scores of 62, 63 and 78 (before Overtime) I am not granting them a "great offensive team"....They aren't even a good offensive team yet.
They are good (Matharu, Jackson, Carter, and Mingo Young are pretty strong group) but I would say extremely sloppy team offensively at times. A lot of turnovers can be avoided. MSU will have to work to get better on the defensive end. They gave up a lot of wide open 3's vs Kentucky. Got to at least contest the majority of those shots.

Same can be said about Kentucky. I have to say a lot of teams this year have been awful with ball security. Baylor could also be much better offensively if they would stop turning the ball over.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
So let me paraphrase, the play "My American Cousin" was really a wonderful show, except for President Lincoln getting assassinated...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Some of you guys think that PPG equates to great offense. As a high school coach, I track points per possession. That's a much more telling statistic. I've had teams score 90 points who really didn't play well offensively and teams score 60 that executed like a MOFO and were extremely efficient (few turnovers, few bad shots, etc.).

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Some of you guys think that PPG equates to great offense. As a high school coach, I track points per possession. That's a much more telling statistic. I've had teams score 90 points who really didn't play well offensively and teams score 60 that executed like a MOFO and were extremely efficient (few turnovers, few bad shots, etc.).
How many games did the team that scored 90 lose? :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom