#13 Arkansas @ Tennessee - 1/07/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#13 Arkansas @ Tennessee - 1/07/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I don’t think Tennessee will be as easy a win as the past few years. Teams automatically scheduling a win will be in for a rude awakening. Coach Harper is really really good.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A note of thanks to Arkansas.

Thanks for being an atrocious defensive team.
Thanks for being an inept rebounding team.
Thanks for being totally incapable of resorting to a plan B.
Thanks for being egregiously overrated.

Thanks to all of the above, the UConn game vs. Tennessee can now acquire more import than it would have had against any ordinary scrub.

Reaction Score
Didn't watch but that's a good win for TN. Looks like Davis and Burrell both had great games.

The top 5, 6 if you count UT, are quality teams.

Reaction Score
Thanks to all of the above, the UConn game vs. Tennessee can now acquire more import than it would have had against any ordinary scrub.
Tennessee is a quality team. Look forward to the game. Tennessee isn't "back" (by Summitt standards) but definitely better than Holly. Coach Harper will need to bring in more top talent.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
#1 Nice win for Tennessee who looked great considering they have been in COVID lockdown for 2 weeks.
#2 what happened to that Arkansas team that beat Baylor so convincingly but has become inept the past few games?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
#1 Nice win for Tennessee who looked great considering they have been in COVID lockdown for 2 weeks.
#2 what happened to that Arkansas team that beat Baylor so convincingly but has become inept the past few games?
Arkansas was overdue for a loss like this. They were behind almost the entire game against FGCU and would have had no chance in that game if Kierstan Bell had been ruled eligible just a few hours earlier. They then spent 40 minutes getting smacked around by Maryland in a game where Neighbors simply refused to adjust his game plan. Today's game actually unfolded in similar fashion, just with a somewhat lesser opponent.

Baylor played a truly awful game in Fayetteville, in my opinion the worst they've played since they lost to Oklahoma State several years ago, I think it was something like 2014 (Baylor fans surely remember that game). Their failure to destroy Arkansas on the boards despite having players like Smith, Egbo, Carrington and Gusters is just a testament to how listlessly they played, and Arkansas did well to capitalize on that.

Tennessee isn't a bad team and I certainly don't think our game against them will be a gimme. I just think that a win over Arkansas is not as valuable as many people think it is.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Arkansas was overdue for a loss like this. They were behind almost the entire game against FGCU and would have had no chance in that game if Kierstan Bell had been ruled eligible just a few hours earlier. They then spent 40 minutes getting smacked around by Maryland in a game where Neighbors simply refused to adjust his game plan. Today's game actually unfolded in similar fashion, just with a somewhat lesser opponent.

Baylor played a truly awful game in Fayetteville, in my opinion the worst they've played since they lost to Oklahoma State several years ago, I think it was something like 2014 (Baylor fans surely remember that game). Their failure to destroy Arkansas on the boards despite having players like Smith, Egbo, Carrington and Gusters is just a testament to how listlessly they played, and Arkansas did well to capitalize on that.

Tennessee isn't a bad team and I certainly don't think our game against them will be a gimme. I just think that a win over Arkansas is not as valuable as many people think it is.
Compared to the Tennessee of old, no it's not a huge win. For thid squad it's quite valuable in that Arkansas is a legitimate top 25 team and it will be a great resume boost if Tennessee is on the fence for making the NCAAs come March. Should also propel them into the top 25 for the first time this season.

Reaction Score
Zero points from the bench tonight (0-10). Dungee was 1-10 from three, but it’s hard to get too down on her since she was 11-13 from FT.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee did have the size advantage tonight.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So hopeful the TN game goes forward.
1610080838513.png

Reaction Score

I am pretty much in total agreement with all of your post. Except one factor and even that is just a technicality. It is the one about Neighbors refusing to adjust his game plan. I don't think he has the personal to adjust and that is the problem I always saw with the Arkansas team. He has pretty much sold out completely to the small ball run and gun style of play. He has geared his team for it. When his players are hitting their threes they are going to run certain teams off the court, but that leaves them open to teams that punish them inside.

In respect to the Baylor game- Baylor played a really bad game because they are a far worse team than they have been in the recent past. They also don't match up really well against Arkansass strengths. True that even so they should have still been able to beat Arkansas had they exploited their weakness in the post. However they are not like Baylor teams in the past which punished the opposition both on offense and defense in the paint. Baylor has always been known for their defense, but except for Di Di they really do not have a good defensive team. Arkansas exposed that in that they drove to the basket at will. Baylors guards on ball defense was non existent and their post defenders did not challenge the shots in the paint. It is my opinion that Baylor was overrated from the beginning this season so that inflated the value of Arkansas win over them.

Reaction Score
Since we have lost opportunities to play Louisville, Mississippi State, and Baylor, its time for me to become a Lady Vol fan. We need them to play well in the SEC, so that if we beat them, it will be a quality win.

Reaction Score
It does pain me to say this but with our present OOC game situation, a successful ranked TN team at the time we play them would be beneficial.

Reaction Score
I am pretty much in total agreement with all of your post. Except one factor and even that is just a technicality. It is the one about Neighbors refusing to adjust his game plan. I don't think he has the personal to adjust and that is the problem I always saw with the Arkansas team. He has pretty much sold out completely to the small ball run and gun style of play. He has geared his team for it. When his players are hitting their threes they are going to run certain teams off the court, but that leaves them open to teams that punish them inside.

In respect to the Baylor game- Baylor played a really bad game because they are a far worse team than they have been in the recent past. They also don't match up really well against Arkansass strengths. True that even so they should have still been able to beat Arkansas had they exploited their weakness in the post. However they are not like Baylor teams in the past which punished the opposition both on offense and defense in the paint. Baylor has always been known for their defense, but except for Di Di they really do not have a good defensive team. Arkansas exposed that in that they drove to the basket at will. Baylors guards on ball defense was non existent and their post defenders did not challenge the shots in the paint. It is my opinion that Baylor was overrated from the beginning this season so that inflated the value of Arkansas win over them.
Kim has always had problems with teams who shoot 3's well. Louisville in 2013 one of biggest upsets.

Reaction Score
So I watched the game yesterday and it appeared the ‘fans’ there were cardboard cutouts. I was surprised because I was under the impression Tennessee was allowing 18% capacity (4000) at Thompson-Boling.

Now this morning I read on ESPN.com that most of the Tennessee players knelt for the national anthem to protest Trump‘s actions the day before. AND that they were booed by the fans in attendance. So - were there fans there? And, if so, what’s with the cardboard cutouts?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So I watched the game yesterday and it appeared the ‘fans’ there were cardboard cutouts. I was surprised because I was under the impression Tennessee was allowing 18% capacity (4000) at Thompson-Boling.

Now this morning I read on ESPN.com that most of the Tennessee players knelt for the national anthem to protest Trump‘s actions the day before. AND that they were booed by the fans in attendance. So - were there fans there? And, if so, what’s with the cardboard cutouts?

hopefully future black recruits saw that... or are made aware of that.

Reaction Score

It's a mix of fans and cut outs from what I've seen on the game up on YouTube. It's hard to see because of the camera angles and lighting.

Reaction Score
hopefully future black recruits saw that... or are made aware of that.

If they're not aware, I'd be surprised. I've seen on social media comments from Vols fans complaining about the players when they do something related to social justice. I've seen comments on the Vols message board as well.

Some South Carolina fans are doing the same and tweeting Coach Staley that they'll no longer purchase tickets, etc., when she's supported her players for the same thing.

This is the reality unfortunately.

Reaction Score
I thought that political statements were barred on this site. I would totally approve of that. If i want to watch or talk sports I don't want comments about anything else. That goes for any other sort of entertainment as well. It is akin to being bombarded with advertisements in the middle of everything we watch to day.

Reaction Score
I am super late to this thread, but if I'm the NYL, I'm taking Rennia Davis at #1 if Charli Collier doesn't come out. She is just going to be a really good pro. She has size, skill, and athleticism. This draft is one of the worst in W history, but I would take her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom