12 Reasons Why UConn Will Regret the New Big East | Page 3 | The Boneyard

12 Reasons Why UConn Will Regret the New Big East

Reaction Score
So opinions that don’t match yours aren’t welcome on the CR board anymore and will earn cheap and juvenile retorts. Understood.

OK, let me try this again: This a super great deal and I see no possible issues with this move at all.

Does that make you happy?

I will say this again, I hope this move works out for you.
First of all, no one believes you that your neighbors are college basketball fans who don't know about the Big East. Secondly, it's not that your opinion "doesn't match" or whatever, it's that it's idiotic and wildly disingenuous. No one cares what you think. Go away.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
First of all, no one believes you that your neighbors are college basketball fans who don't know about the Big East. Secondly, it's not that your opinion "doesn't match" or whatever, it's that it's idiotic and wildly disingenuous. No one cares what you think. Go away.

Yup, my time has come. After 6 years of great interactions with this awesome community, it’s time for me to go. Up until yesterday, I have felt like a part of your community. To all those UConn fans I’ve had great interactions with, I enjoyed discussing CR and other college sports with you. I wish you the best and hope this move works for you. I will always root for you when not playing Michigan.

Reaction Score
Outside one or two members (Tulane, Navy), the AAC is a national university affiliation and neither is the new Big East outside of Georgetown.
Check out the US News National Rankings in Nova and report back

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yup, my time has come. After 6 years of great interactions with this awesome community, it’s time for me to go. Up until yesterday, I have felt like a part of your community. To all those UConn fans I’ve had great interactions with, I enjoyed discussing CR and other college sports with you. I wish you the best and hope this move works for you. I will always root for you when not playing Michigan.
No reason for you to go. Honestly, I don't get why you got so much static for NOT being a troll.

Reaction Score
(most people here in Michigan didn’t even know what conference Villanova was in)
So opinions that don’t match yours aren’t welcome on the CR board anymore and will earn cheap and juvenile retorts. Understood.

saying "most people here in Michigan didn't even know what conference Nova was in" isn't an opinion. at the very least it's anecdotal evidence of michiganders living under rocks. at the most it's trolling.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

I guess this board is done for now. Thank you for your contributions. It was nice knowing that B1G fans appreciated our school.

Reaction Score
Check out the US News National Rankings in Nova and report back

I am not disputing that Villanova is a a very good college, in fact, it is highly regarded in certain areas, especially around undergraduate education.

But, Villanova is a private, catholic affiliated university with 6,500 undergraduates and 3,500 postgraduates and an urban bent (I know Villanova is not in an urban area as I've driven by a dozen times). That is a very similar profile to the other members of the new Big East today. UConn is a state, land/sea/space-grant university with 24,000 undergraduates and 8,300 postgraduate students that includes both a medical school and expansive agricultural programs located in a rural location. UConn's profile and goals are more aligned with schools like Rutgers, Penn St, Maryland, SUNY Buffalo, UMass, etc. with hope of being the U Michigan/UVA of the region. Those type of schools do not participate in the new Big East.

Thus, while UConn and Villanova share history and goals on the basketball court, their univesity-wide goals do not align. That is why over the long-term, this potential arrangement will not work as much as it did not in the old Big East.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I am not disputing that Villanova is a a very good college, in fact, it is highly regarded in certain areas, especially around undergraduate education.

But, Villanova is a private, catholic affiliated university with 6,500 undergraduates and 3,500 postgraduates and an urban bent (I know Villanova is not in an urban area as I've driven by a dozen times). That is a very similar profile to the other members of the new Big East today. UConn is a state, land/sea/space-grant university with 24,000 undergraduates and 8,300 postgraduate students that includes both a medical school and expansive agricultural programs located in a rural location. UConn's profile and goals are more aligned with schools like Rutgers, Penn St, Maryland, SUNY Buffalo, UMass, etc. with hope of being the U Michigan/UVA of the region. Those type of schools do not participate in the new Big East.

Thus, while UConn and Villanova share history and goals on the basketball court, their univesity-wide goals do not align. That is why over the long-term, this potential arrangement will not work as much as it did not in the old Big East.

Rutgers? Penn St.? Maryland? Michigan? UConn to the Big Ten. What's the issue? Oh...right.

Speaking of PSU. My, my how UConn's fortune could have changed if The Big East/AAC had accepted the Lion's plea back in the late 80's.

Reaction Score

Nova is Jay Wright.

Reaction Score

You singled out Georgetown as the only National university in the Big East.

I know how big Nova is, and I know the size of Georgetown, Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame and UConn.

What did you find in the National Rankings?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Bah, let the dust settle and swing by. I always appreciated your posts. I doubt there is a bigger 'non-UConn fan' booster for the university.

Reaction Score
It's the FAKE Big East. All the big time schools have left. Except for UC WBB all NCAA championships are won by P5 schools. Ugly will be when Gino retires. WBB will be middle of the road non P5 schools playing in the catholic -7 league.

Reaction Score
It's the FAKE Big East. All the big time schools have left. Except for UC WBB all NCAA championships are won by P5 schools. Ugly will be when Gino retires. WBB will be middle of the road non P5 schools playing in the catholic -7 league.

UConn and Villanova alone are "bigger-time" than everyone that left. cut the inferiority complex!

Reaction Score

I hope you will be back although to be true, if I supported one Big 10 (14) team it would be Michigan State. I once had the privilege of seeing them play in person when I lived in Tallahassee. I guess I support the underdog in many but not all cases - probably why I'm here. I don't dislike Michigan, obviously one of the great schools in CFB history, I just like the "Spartans" - Thermopylae and all that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I preface this comment by saying that I wouldn't have minded seeing us wait for another 4-5 years before making this move because I do like hoping for miracles and I do pull for the football program....

But for the people who are jumping off cliffs, what % chance do you think we would be getting an invite to the ACC or B1G in the next 4-5 years? Because if its anything more than 5-10%, I suggest you walk to the end of your driveway. I'll meet you there so I can drive you to the nearest insane asylum.

UConn chose not to lose another 175 million over the next 4 years with the current setup. I'm not going to go apeSht because of their decision making as they know numbers more than I do.

AND because I wouldn't be surprised if while backchanneling to the BE AD's or prez's, they were also backchanneling to the ACC and B1G AD's or prez's to get a feel for a potential miracle invite and were quite possibly laughed it in the most sincere way possible.

I think no one really knows. To get Biblical on you, we "see through a glass darkly" - still a great quote from economist Oskar Morgenstern of Mathematica, Inc. while testifying before a US Senate committee in 1972 about funding the Space Shuttle: "things are hard to predict, especially the future". Had the ACC presidents known that UL's Athetic Director, FB coach, BB coach, and President would be removed along with their last NCAA BB championship, there is no doubt in my mind that they would still be in the AAC. Maybe the next time this happens, they should consult a psychic who has a good track record so to speak.

Reaction Score
I hope you will be back although to be true, if I supported one Big 10 (14) team it would be Michigan State. I once had the privilege of seeing them play in person when I lived in Tallahassee. I guess I support the underdog in many but not all cases - probably why I'm here. I don't dislike Michigan, obviously one of the great schools in CFB history, I just like the "Spartans" - Thermopylae and all that.
I will never root for Michigan because of their AD.

Reaction Score
If UConn goes 8 and 4 in football for a few years, and ends up the final four in mens basketball for a few years, and the ACC is eager to earn more money from its TV channel, it would not shock me to see UConn invited. But without that football improvement -- forget it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If UConn goes 8 and 4 in football for a few years, and ends up the final four in mens basketball for a few years, and the ACC is eager to earn more money from its TV channel, it would not shock me to see UConn invited. But without that football improvement -- forget it.

I’m working on Friday night. What the hell went wrong for you that you are lamely trolling the BY at 9:07 on a 75 degree Friday evening?

Reaction Score
Also some stupid and flat out wrong points that some simple googling would resolve... the AACs best year in the tourney equals the worst years for the Big East.
1. There is not one team in the AAC that I would want to play more than nova, gtown, PC, Marquette. After Cincy - there is not another team that I would want to play more than the rest of the Big East. Maybe Memphis somewhere near the bottom. It may not be the old big east, but compared to the AAC ...
2. Streaming sports is early days. Nobody wants to be an early adopter. That UT, Ohio State and Alabama are not clamoring to move their valuable content to streaming is evidence of that fact.
3. Having a conference that spans the globe is not a benefit. We were on an island in the AAC. Look at all past expansions as an indication that regional creep is a problem, only those other conferences were paid for it.
With many of those 12 points directed at UConn men's and women's basketball, I'm not so sure Richie Springs would have committed and we would be in Andre Jackson's final five if we were still in the AAC. Also, yes the travel costs were an issue in remaining in the AAC, but just as concerning for Hurley and Geno is the wear and tear on the players and coaches with Jetting all over the country to play it's in conference away games, and other schools competing for top recruits could certainly use that against UConn in the recruiting wars.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom