12 Reasons Why UConn Will Regret the New Big East | The Boneyard

12 Reasons Why UConn Will Regret the New Big East

Reaction Score
If the AAC was more reasonable with the TV contract, we'd probably have stayed. This really is a shame.

They didn't care for PC when Pitt was in the conference but now they're getting excited about PC. Sadly hilarious.

Reaction Score
1. There is not one team in the AAC that I would want to play more than nova, gtown, PC, Marquette. After Cincy - there is not another team that I would want to play more than the rest of the Big East. Maybe Memphis somewhere near the bottom. It may not be the old big east, but compared to the AAC ...
2. Streaming sports is early days. Nobody wants to be an early adopter. That UT, Ohio State and Alabama are not clamoring to move their valuable content to streaming is evidence of that fact.
3. Having a conference that spans the globe is not a benefit. We were on an island in the AAC. Look at all past expansions as an indication that regional creep is a problem, only those other conferences were paid for it.

Reaction Score
Shameless promotion of your own ill conceived article. Blech. It's easier just to start over with a blank slate than refute the 12 points.

Dare I say that this potentially valid point (it will take a few years to provide of disprove) hit a sensitive spot?

"Last year, Villanova took a step back and – surprise, surprise – the Big East was a very average basketball conference. The AAC had more tourney teams and more tourney wins. It's a a good basketball league!"

Reaction Score
Dare I say that this potentially valid point (it will take a few years to provide of disprove) hit a sensitive spot?

"Last year, Villanova took a step back and – surprise, surprise – the Big East was a very average basketball conference. The AAC had more tourney teams and more tourney wins. It's a a good basketball league!"
I actually didn't read that far. I only skimmed the 12 reasons and judged the article as a disgruntled piece from one of the 9% that is against the Big East move.

Villanova won the conference last year and had a pretty good year, although it didn't advance in the tournament. A step down from 2 national titles in 3 years? Yes, I guess so.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I actually didn't read that far. I only skimmed the 12 reasons and judged the article as a disgruntled piece from one of the 9% that is against the Big East move.

Villanova won the conference last year and had a pretty good year, although it didn't advance in the tournament. A step down from 2 national titles in 3 years? Yes, I guess so.

Brilliant. Skim and make assumptions.

Do you see what you did there?

Reaction Score

It’s not valid. It was 4 Big East teams last year vs. 4 AAC teams. Villanova was rebuilding.
How many teams win back to back championships?

Reaction Score

You think only 9% are against this???

EDIT see the post below.

Reaction Score
Brilliant. Skim and make assumptions.

Do you see what you did there?
I know exactly. I didn't waste the time.

Reaction Score

yeah we did want in, and a big exit fee proves the big east really wanted us too (or at least doesn't want us to leave). it's true love.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I wish all of you the best going forward and hope this move will be a success. My biggest fear for you is that the move will push you to be more of a regional school than a national one like I believe you to are striving to be. Maybe (hopefully) I’m wrong and FSN will be a marketing boon for you, but I don’t see how this helps you become a more national school. Maybe I’m underestimating the reach of the Big East (most people here in Michigan didn’t even know what conference Villanova was in) or that UConn wants to be more regional/New England’s flagship. Who knows?

Who gets shafted the most is the football players. They signed on to a UConn thinking they would be playing in a pretty good football conference and are now left out wandering the desert of independence. I hope they have a plan in place for them.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I wish all of you the best going forward and hope this move will be a success. My biggest fear for you is that the move will push you to be more of a regional school than a national one like I believe you to are striving to be. Maybe (hopefully) I’m wrong and FSN will be a marketing boon for you, but I don’t see how this helps you become a more national school. Maybe I’m underestimating the reach of the Big East (most people here in Michigan didn’t even know what conference Villanova was in) or that UConn wants to be more regional/New England’s flagship. Who knows?

Who gets shafted the most is the football players. They signed on to a UConn thinking they would be playing in a pretty good football conference and are now left out wandering the desert of independence. I hope they have a plan in place for them.
The weird thing is, we landed 4 recruits the day after the news broke. Not sure if that means much though

Reaction Score
(most people here in Michigan didn’t even know what conference Villanova was in)

lol. hurley isn't trying to recruit your fair weather sports fan neighbors. but every highschool basketball player watching Nova win those chips knew exactly what conference they were in.

PS- didn't your head bball coach just run away to the NBA?

PPS- when uconn is dominating UM in the 2020 big east-big10 challenge everyone in michigan will know what conference we are in (hint- it's in the name of the challenge)

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
lol. hurley isn't trying to recruit your fair weather sports fan neighbors. but every highschool basketball player watching Nova win those chips knew exactly what conference they were in.

PS- didn't your head bball coach just run away to the NBA?

PPS- when uconn is dominating UM in the 2020 big east-big10 challenge everyone in michigan will know what conference we are in (hint- it's in the name of the challenge)
Not sure this is necessary. @dayooper is pretty level-headed. Pretty sure he is not trolling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom