#12 or not - is this Geno/CD best coaching? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#12 or not - is this Geno/CD best coaching?

Reaction Score
I think 2016-17 was hands down the best coaching job I've seen in his 25+ seasons. They lost their Big 3, had no true post and came a buzzer beater from going undefeated.
I still think if they played that game another 100 times over we would win 99 times. We were so so good that season honestly, such a shame with how it ended. Kia, Gabby, Lou and Pheesa would have been remembered for one of the best ever seasons stepping into the big 3 shoes if we had won that year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I still think if they played that game another 100 times over we would win 99 times. We were so so good that season honestly, such a shame with how it ended. Kia, Gabby, Lou and Pheesa would have been remembered for one of the best ever seasons stepping into the big 3 shoes if we had won that year.
Idk about 99/100 considering the team randomly almost lost to Tulane too but I agree they were cut and dry the best team in WBB that season and had a fluky loss. The big 3 (Williams/KLS/Collier) all played in fantastic unison that season.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. Well, in at least two interviews so far Bueckers referred to Auriemma as a genius. How could she get that impression if he were not at least involved in the “nuts and bolts coaching?” Can you provide evidence of any player referring to any of the other coaches as a “genius?” Even former opponents of recent times has praised Auriemma’s nasketball knowledge.

Recent players also have commented that they want to prove Auriemma wrong. No such comments were pointed at the other coaches, so to say he is absent the motivational equation is fiction as well, but the suggestion that Auriemma is no longer involved in the teaching aspects remains the most absurd of your charges, with nothing but your “strong belief” as evidence. But go ahead, support your argument with something players have said about knowledge or motivation applying more to the other coaches rather than Auriemma.

I also hear Auriemma’s voice coaching the team during the game more than the other coaches but, hey, that’s just my observation, with as much status as your “strong belief.” What players actually have to say carries more weight than either.
I agree with you @diggerfoot . All people have to do is watch the UCONN season documentary that was done a few years ago (by ESPN???), where they followed the team through out the season...or watch any of the on line videos of UCONN practice sessions, etc.... OR listen to any of the players who have been through the program on the role of Geno, CD, and the Assistant Coaches. Your reference of PB's comments regarding Geno's BB knowledge, strategy and IQ are emblematic of what the vast majority of UCONN Players have said over the years that I have followed UCONN. Listen to Rebecca Lobo talk about the Coaches... Geno is the "master mind", CD is the "House Mom" and "Disciplinarian", and the other Assistants work with players with specialty skills, and as a someone to lean on. Every good leader relies on his/her assistants, and takes their inputs and suggestions, but in the end, the Leader is the Leader, the final decision maker... and the one who gets the credit when they do well, or takes the blame when things go wrong.

Reaction Score
Just look at the experience of the starting line-up...yikes! The group we saw last night didn't just magically happen. Talent, sure, but it took Geno & staff to first recruit players with the skill AND attitude to play as a team, and then to somehow get this group to play the way they do now. Christyn has been transformed, ONO is a different player, Nika is simply a monster, and E has been reborn. And Paige is simply Paige. What a year to enjoy!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think you can even start the conversation w/out winning #12
Thank you!

200.gif

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I strongly believe that the UCONN Women's Basketball Team's transformation into it's MODERN INCARNATION of this Historical Collegiate Women's Basketball Program, began last season (2019-2020), with Jamelle Elliot rejoining the team's coaching staff. Coach Elliott, along with Shea Ralph and Chris Dailey, in "My Opinion" are solely been responsible for the transformation of this team, the success that this team is having this year, and how truly great it will be over the next 5 to 7 years. The Coaching of "Today's Collegiate Women's Basketball Player" has, in my opinion, passed Geno Auriemma by. Geno, is essentially, just the person who "Markets" this program. The motivation, nuts and bolts coaching, and the "X-Factors" are the responsibility of CD, Shea and Jamelle.
This is a hot take.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom