11th... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

11th...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm not saying Bouk won't get minutes, but this is not ideal for him. You don't want to have someone locked up like this in your position. Sure, he could outplay Rozier and earn a larger role, but when you commit $100m to someone that is quite an investment...all I'm saying is Bouk is most likely coming off the bench for 4 years which could harm his career. There is no shame in being a 6th man and many guys have overcome that (ex. Harden) but of course "starter in the NBA" carries a lot of weight in terms of both player confidence and development.

Edit: Not to mention he probably will be 7th or 8th man with Bridges and Oubre playing the 3 behind Hayward...so yeah the Hornets made a good move for a basketball perspective but this is not good for Bouk long term.
If only he was able to redirect that block to a teammate instead of sending it out of bounds.

Reaction Score
Rozier just signed a 4-year, $97m deal...not great for Bouk with Melo already locked into one guard spot. Can't really play all 3 of them at a time either with Hayward locked-in as well. Bouk going to be the 6th man for 4 years it looks like. You don't pay a guy $24m a year to come off the bench...
Injuries happen, trades happen etc. They moved on from Monk and Graham, that’s what matters. Those were the guys he’d be splitting time with if they were still around. He has a clear path to major playing time in his rookie season and beyond. If he’s good enough in a few seasons, he will start. The cap will continue to go up, and Terry’s contract could easily be moved in a few years time. Melo, Bouk, Miles are the future, but you need some good vets around, you want to establish a winning culture. Prolly an overpay from the Hornets perspective, but as a fan of the team, I like the move. James will be fine, he needs time to develop anyway.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying Bouk won't get minutes, but this is not ideal for him. You don't want to have someone locked up like this in your position. Sure, he could outplay Rozier and earn a larger role, but when you commit $100m to someone that is quite an investment...all I'm saying is Bouk is most likely coming off the bench for 4 years which could harm his career. There is no shame in being a 6th man and many guys have overcome that (ex. Harden) but of course "starter in the NBA" carries a lot of weight in terms of both player confidence and development.

Edit: Not to mention he probably will be 7th or 8th man with Bridges and Oubre playing the 3 behind Hayward...so yeah the Hornets made a good move for a basketball perspective but this is not good for Bouk long term.
$24M isn't as significant a number so I wouldn't say it locks him in as a starter. The Hawks are paying Gallinari $21M a year to come off the bench. The Cavs just paid Jarrett Allen $20M a year after drafting Evan Mobley, and even if those 2 play together that means a $31M Kevin Love is coming off the bench. The Kings are paying Hield $24M and Barnes $20M for one of those 2 to come off the bench

Reaction Score
$24M isn't as significant a number so I wouldn't say it locks him in as a starter. The Hawks are paying Gallinari $21M a year to come off the bench. The Cavs just paid Jarrett Allen $20M a year after drafting Evan Mobley, and even if those 2 play together that means a $31M Kevin Love is coming off the bench. The Kings are paying Hield $24M and Barnes $20M for one of those 2 to come off the bench
Using the Kings, who haven't made the playoffs since 05-06 and are arguably the worst run team in the NBA to make your argument isn't the best example.

Gallo is 32. Thats the right role for someone of his age. Rozier is 27. When Love signed that deal, he was a starter and LeBron had just left. Plus they're stuck with that contract due to his health. Completely different situation than Rozier and the Hornets.

He's being paid like Brogdon, Conley, VanVleet, Gary Harris, Lonzo -- all starters.

Two things can be true. This is a great move for the Hornets as Rozier showed he's worth that type of money. But this is far from ideal for Bouk. Unless there are injuries, he won't be getting the minutes he needs to ideally develop. I'd rather have him start playing 30 min than playing maybe 20 min behind multiple, more established guys. He isn't some "raw prospect" that needs that type of time to develop (like a Kuminga on Golden State or Giddey who OKC drafted). While not a finished product by any means, a lot of his game is NBA ready and sitting on the bench doesn't help that.

It's not a death sentence by any means but there would have been better opportunities for him and Rozier signing for 4 years cements that. It's just not what you want for him, but hopefully he is even more motivated by this and earns his spot in the league.

Reaction Score
Using the Kings, who haven't made the playoffs since 05-06 and are arguably the worst run team in the NBA to make your argument isn't the best example.

Gallo is 32. Thats the right role for someone of his age. Rozier is 27. When Love signed that deal, he was a starter and LeBron had just left. Plus they're stuck with that contract due to his health. Completely different situation than Rozier and the Hornets.

He's being paid like Brogdon, Conley, VanVleet, Gary Harris, Lonzo -- all starters.

Two things can be true. This is a great move for the Hornets as Rozier showed he's worth that type of money. But this is far from ideal for Bouk. Unless there are injuries, he won't be getting the minutes he needs to ideally develop. I'd rather have him start playing 30 min than playing maybe 20 min behind multiple, more established guys. He isn't some "raw prospect" that needs that type of time to develop (like a Kuminga on Golden State or Giddey who OKC drafted). While not a finished product by any means, a lot of his game is NBA ready and sitting on the bench doesn't help that.

It's not a death sentence by any means but there would have been better opportunities for him and Rozier signing for 4 years cements that. It's just not what you want for him, but hopefully he is even more motivated by this and earns his spot in the league.
It's funny you mention Gary Harris because he was another one I was gonna list as a guy who's getting paid and will come off the bench this year. But whatever, we can agree to disagree. I guarantee you Bouknight starts more games than Rozier over the length of his rookie deal, this is still a fantastic situation for him.

Also funny that you say the Kings are a bad comparison because they're such a bad franchise. Only have to look back a few pages to see you saying this situation sucks for Bouknight because the Hornets are a terrible franchise. Seems like that's the perfect team to compare them to based on your comments

Reaction Score
It's funny you mention Gary Harris because he was another one I was gonna list as a guy who's getting paid and will come off the bench this year. But whatever, we can agree to disagree. I guarantee you Bouknight starts more games than Rozier over the length of his rookie deal, this is still a fantastic situation for him.

Also funny that you say the Kings are a bad comparison because they're such a bad franchise. Only have to look back a few pages to see you saying this situation sucks because the Hornets are a terrible franchise. Seems like that's the perfect team to compare them to based on your comments
His premise is moronic, surprised you took the time to respond.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying Bouk won't get minutes, but this is not ideal for him. You don't want to have someone locked up like this in your position. `
He's not the same position as Rozier. Bouk is 3 inches taller.

Rozier guards 1s, Bouk will guard 2s and small wings. LaMelo/Hayward will guard wings. Washington/Bridges will guard 4s and big wings. Plumlee true 5s.

Oubre is much more likely to be the guy in his way to playing time in year 1, but he's got a 2 year deal with the 2nd year only partially guaranteed. Plus if he can't shoot like last year, then he sucks.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying that signing Rozier was ideal for Bouk but I kind of like what the Hornets are doing and think the competition will help Bouk. In my mind, their current roster is a playoff team and if Bouk can carve out a significant role then he will have no problems getting paid.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here's a good take from The Ringer: In addition, [Rozier's signing] allows also-extended head coach James Borrego not to have to rely on outsized contributions from rookie Bouknight immediately...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom