10 things we learned from Ray Allen’s upcoming tell-all book | The Boneyard

10 things we learned from Ray Allen’s upcoming tell-all book

Reaction Score
Book goes on sale next week. Some interesting stories about UConn. The Rondo stories are also interesting.

The finalists for Allen’s college basketball career were Alabama, Wake Forest, North Carolina State, Kentucky, and the University of Connecticut. Although he initially thought UConn was referring to the Yukon territory near Alaska, Allen ended up loving Storrs once he visited. In addition to the program’s growing prominence, Allen said he was hooked by coach Jim Calhoun, the players’ close-knit community off the court, and the lack of racial barriers he experienced in the South.

“This was the place for me,” he wrote.

But Allen wanted to be sure, so he visited Lexington.

When reflecting on how he was treated by UConn, however, Allen said Kentucky couldn’t compare. One of the two defining examples he believed elucidated the difference came when he was eating lunch with forward Jamal Mashburn and his roommate at a restaurant coach Rick Pitino owned.

“[Coach Pitino] happened to be there that afternoon, sitting with some friends a few tables away,” Allen recounted. “Perfect, I figured, he’ll stop by for a few minutes to say hello, and I’ll learn more to help me make my decision. Only he didn’t stop by. He waved, and that was it. Coach Calhoun would never have ignored us. He and I, in fact, enjoyed several meals together on my visit to Storrs.”

Allen said Pitino’s approach on his visit to Kentucky helped him realize the importance of being somewhere you are valued — “where it’s clear somebody wants you to be an essential part of what they’re doing.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Book goes on sale next week. Some interesting stories about UConn. The Rondo stories are also interesting.

The finalists for Allen’s college basketball career were Alabama, Wake Forest, North Carolina State, Kentucky, and the University of Connecticut. Although he initially thought UConn was referring to the Yukon territory near Alaska, Allen ended up loving Storrs once he visited. In addition to the program’s growing prominence, Allen said he was hooked by coach Jim Calhoun, the players’ close-knit community off the court, and the lack of racial barriers he experienced in the South.

“This was the place for me,” he wrote.

But Allen wanted to be sure, so he visited Lexington.

When reflecting on how he was treated by UConn, however, Allen said Kentucky couldn’t compare. One of the two defining examples he believed elucidated the difference came when he was eating lunch with forward Jamal Mashburn and his roommate at a restaurant coach Rick Pitino owned.

“[Coach Pitino] happened to be there that afternoon, sitting with some friends a few tables away,” Allen recounted. “Perfect, I figured, he’ll stop by for a few minutes to say hello, and I’ll learn more to help me make my decision. Only he didn’t stop by. He waved, and that was it. Coach Calhoun would never have ignored us. He and I, in fact, enjoyed several meals together on my visit to Storrs.”

Allen said Pitino’s approach on his visit to Kentucky helped him realize the importance of being somewhere you are valued — “where it’s clear somebody wants you to be an essential part of what they’re doing.”

I'm sure the C's won't like this book. But, if he makes the Hall this year, do you retire his jersey?

Nothing I read in there surprised me about Rondo. What a punk.

Reaction Score
Too bad Kevin didn’t read this. He might still be coaching at UConn today. NAH!

You sayin' KO treated his recruits the same way as Pitino?

Just sayin'. I mean he did play for and learn from JC. Just like Ray.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the C's won't like this book. But, if he makes the Hall this year, do you retire his jersey?

Nothing I read in there surprised me about Rondo. What a punk.
No. He's persona non grata in Boston. Snubbing the Pierce jersey retirement (and he was invited) to go play golf with George Lopez was the last straw, I'm sure.

I love Ray, but if he really wanted to get back in the good graces of the C's he's had his opportunities and hasn't taken any of them. And that's totally fine, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Reaction Score
No. He's persona non grata in Boston. Snubbing the Pierce jersey retirement (and he was invited) to go play golf with George Lopez was the last straw, I'm sure.

I love Ray, but if he really wanted to get back in the good graces of the C's he's had his opportunities and hasn't taken any of them. And that's totally fine, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Good for Ray. Garnett, Pierce, Rondo, Big Baby Davis - total clowns.

Reaction Score
KO was loved by both recruits and their parents. KO unfortunately had a lot of disadvantages regarding the conference he was in and the cheating going on with paid recruits.

I don't know where KO lost it, but no one got more out of players than JC. He took kids are molded them into warriors and let them lose. I think KO probably is better suited to NBA coaching. I will always love KO. He bleeds national flag blue, guided the team to a national championship and represented the university with class. But that being said, we landed plenty of solid guys that just didn't pan out of buy into the system. Brimah regressed. He lost the team and maybe his confidence as well.

JC set a standard. These past few years have been a challange to say the least. Some of you guys are being unkind to a good guy. A good guy, unfortunately who's time had come. I wish him well.

Let's not trash him. 2014 was a memorable season and they took the stairs to get there. Good luck KO.

On to another chapter with Uconn. Dan or anybody up to the challange, you're on deck.

Reaction Score
KO was loved by both recruits and their parents. KO unfortunately had a lot of disadvantages regarding the conference he was in and the cheating going on with paid recruits.

I don't know where KO lost it, but no one got more out of players than JC. He took kids are molded them into warriors and let them lose. I think KO probably is better suited to NBA coaching. I will always love KO. He bleeds national flag blue, guided the team to a national championship and represented the university with class. But that being said, we landed plenty of solid guys that just didn't pan out of buy into the system. Brimah regressed. He lost the team and maybe his confidence as well.

JC set a standard. These past few years have been a challange to say the least. Some of you guys are being unkind to a good guy. A good guy, unfortunately who's time had come. I wish him well.

Let's not trash him. 2014 was a memorable season and they took the stairs to get there. Good luck KO.

On to another chapter with Uconn. Dan or anybody up to the challange, you're on deck.

That was odd.

Reaction Score
Once Blaney was gone that team started to disintegrate. Ollie failed on his choices for assistants. Standing on the sidelines waving your arms, yelling and running back and forth is not coaching. Fans yell and wave their arms all the time. The coaching is done before the game ever starts. Once the ball is tipped it's about managing what you have and what's going on around you.

Ray Allen selling a book? Good for him. Will I read it? Probably not. Got better things to do.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Font size had me thinking something was wrong with my phone.

Reaction Score

Couldn't have been said any better.

i think one of KO's greatest failures, is he wanted to run a position-less offense where four guys on the floor could handle, create, and shoot. He didn't recruit the right guys to fit his system.

Reaction Score
How about the masterful job KO did in ignoring the PG who decommited from UCONN only to go to PC and take a bunch of his high profile friends with him.

KO ignored the kid once he was signed. He could have done a better job.

Just sayin'

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom