10 inch Miter Sliding vs Non Sliding | The Boneyard

10 inch Miter Sliding vs Non Sliding

Reaction Score
I will be working on my deck and need a miter saw. I really prefer a compact 10 miter, but feel I'm going to regret not having a slider.

I'm not a big DIY guy, but I can replace aging boards on my own.

I don't want a larger amd heavier saw. Will the 10 inch be good enough for the casual weekend warrior?

MrP

Reaction Score
I’ve done a million DIY projects with a non-sliding 10” mitre saw and it gets the job done, but there are many times I am cutting 8” or bigger material and I have to cut it and flip it and cut it again from the other side. That’s the only time I wish I had an upgrade

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bull Moose says the 10" should be enough.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
I'm assuming your deck boards are no more than 6" width and a non-sliding will be perfectly fine for that project. I rebuilt my uncle's deck and done a few other projects using a 10" non-sliding. As MrP said above, if you find you can't quite make a cut for whatever reason just flip the board over.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
buy a 'sliding chop saw' of manageable size, one of easily lifted and moved dimensions, and of good quality, once. you will have it forever, and its' utility will continually be obvious. don't forget to compare choices as the bigger the amps, the better the juice. forget even the thought of battery powered, if they are available, as one day u'll go to cut some wet pt wood, and ur saw will say 'no.'
on the udder hand, if the job calls for a timber saw (looks like a chainsaw without a bar, but with a yuge circular saw disk instead), buy some motrin cuz it's gonna be a loooong day. rent the timber saw. lol.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm assuming your deck boards are no more than 6" width and a non-sliding will be perfectly fine for that project. I rebuilt my uncle's deck and done a few other projects using a 10" non-sliding. As MrP said above, if you find you can't quite make a cut for whatever reason just flip the board over.

6 inch is correct. It sounds like a non sliding miter should do

Reaction Score
buy a 'sliding chop saw' of manageable size, one of easily lifted and moved dimensions, and of good quality, once. you will have it forever, and its' utility will continually be obvious. don't forget to compare choices as the bigger the amps, the better the juice. forget even the thought of battery powered, if they are available, as one day u'll go to cut some wet pt wood, and ur saw will say 'no.'
on the udder hand, if the job calls for a timber saw (looks like a chainsaw without a bar, but with a yuge circular saw disk instead), buy some motrin cuz it's gonna be a loooong day. rent the timber saw. lol.
Good stuff, thanks Cliff

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Can’t make a mitre cut on 6” stock with a 10” chop saw.

That said I'm a pro and the 10” chopper has handled 95+% of my finished cut needs. I have a 12“ slide, dual compound that weighs about a half ton. Why carry it around unless I absolutely need the capacity.

With that said, when the 10” fixed is toast (almost there) I will likely replace it with a sliding.

Also, hitachi makes the best mitre saws IMO.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
6 inch is correct. It sounds like a non sliding miter should do

I'd be inclined to listen to @tdrink above. I made relatively few angled cuts on the 6" boards and am just a hobbyist. Also make sure whatever you choose the blade is quality and sharp!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Go with a 12" compound. No sliding necessary.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Go with a 12" compound. No sliding necessary.
12” blades are more susceptible to distortion through the cut than smaller blades. Especially when starting to dull or if they are being worked too fast. 12” blades are also more expensive to replace.

Sliding mechanisms also introduce the possibility of slop within a cut though.

Reaction Score
If you go with a sliding compound saw, make sure that it's a dual compound saw. Just cover all of the bases.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'One of the first things we noticed when we picked the saw up out of the box was how lightweight it was. Let’s put it this way, it weighs in at nearly half of what our standard 12″ regular miter saw weighs, and this one actually will handle most larger cuts with a smaller blade!'
'CONCLUSION
From the company that invented the first sliding compound miter saw over 20 years ago, the new Hitachi C8FSHE 8-1/2″ sliding compound miter saw does not disappoint.'
Hitachi-C8FSHE-8-1-2-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw.jpg

how fancy! laser and lights too! ezpz. imma fan of hitachi stuff. if i had to, i could build a 2x6'' exterior wall, 2x4'' interior wall ranch house, including the plumbing cuts and everything else with just blade swaps, and flipping the boards for joist, ridge beam, rafter, collar ties, and such if necessary. now, iffn ur decking that hut with 8x8 posts, u'll prolly have a little extra time in to get the handle on that move.
Hitachi C8FSHE 8-1/2" Sliding Compound Miter Saw Review (protoolreviews.com)

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hey look! on that previously linked site, which i've never seen till today, they have an article:
Best Miter Saw Reviews for 2021 | Pro Tool Reviews
wherein is found,

BEST MITER SAW FOR THE MONEY FOR PROS​

Metabo HPT C12RSH2​

it's a hitachi. imagine that. the green saw always tells the pro's that u buy stuff that works. that 8 1/2 incher is one bad hombre, yes indeedy. almost feels like that sucker can fit in an f-150 glovebox, or ur girls handbag, if she's one of those 'little dog in the handbag' types. pro tip: stay away from those ladies. nuthin but trouble, and starbucks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you're a weekend warrior it's highly unlikely you'll be upset about not having the slide more than a few times. Flip your workpiece or use a circular saw with straight edge...

Also consider if you're using it job site style and throwing it on a mitre stand (stack of 2x4s...) Or if you've got a mitre saw station that it'll live in. Sliding one will require much more depth in a mitre station so might mess with your setup if space is limited.

I have a 12" now but honestly the 10" was fine for 95% of the things I was working on and easier to sling around the job site (and I built my deck with the 10"). Obviously everyone's situation and use is different but I've learned that it's not worth it to buy the upgraded/bigger version of tools for the 1 time you're going to need it...just becomes a hassle the rest of the time (then again I still buy tons of tools just to have them...so maybe I'm helpful or maybe I'm a hypocrite...)

Reaction Score
I'm not a big DIY guy, but I can replace aging boards on my own.

You need to realistically consider how much you will use it so I think this sentence is the key. Get a consumer level 10" non-sliding at home depot etc, and my guess is it will do what you need it to.

Reaction Score
They are available and when used with Milwaukee's 18V / 12AH battery will last all day in one battery. ( and they come in 2 sizes). They also make a compact portable table saw. I use them on the road when i'm doing some custom marine work and 110 isn't readily available. 5 year warranty on the tools and 3 year on the batteries. And right now Milwaukee is running a special, spend $300/ save 80, $400/ save 100 abd $500/ save $150 including these saws with an additional $200/$300 taken off with a free battery and other goodies. H. Depot and all the authorized internet sites ( CPO, Acme tool,Tool nut, Northern tool).Hope that helps.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
They are available and when used with Milwaukee's 18V / 12AH battery will last all day in one battery. ( and they come in 2 sizes). They also make a compact portable table saw. I use them on the road when i'm doing some custom marine work and 110 isn't readily available. 5 year warranty on the tools and 3 year on the batteries. And right now Milwaukee is running a special, spend $300/ save 80, $400/ save 100 abd $500/ save $150 including these saws with an additional $200/$300 taken off with a free battery and other goodies. H. Depot and all the authorized internet sites ( CPO, Acme tool,Tool nut, Northern tool).Hope that helps.
fair enuf.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom