#1 Stanford putting a beat down on #7 Arizona | The Boneyard

#1 Stanford putting a beat down on #7 Arizona

Reaction Score
Asia Barnes just doesn’t have the horses to run with the big dogs yet. They have come a long way but until she starts getting some of the top girls this is probably as high as they go.

It does not matter how good of a coach you are, you can't win without the best players. Geno has said similar things before. Just ask Bill Belichick.

Reaction Score
It does not matter how good of a coach you are, you can't win without the best players. Geno has said similar things before. Just ask Bill Belichick.

Or ask any coach at any level- solid coaching can definitely enhance the talent you have but it’s impossible to have a zoo without animals.

Reaction Score
Based on the score that was a beat-down. That should solidify their number 1 position. We need somebody in the Pac 12 that can give them a loss. I at least thought this game would be closer. Still have some hope for Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA.

Reaction Score
The game was close early. Arizona had an 11-5 lead. Then Stanford went on a massive run and their defense simply smothered AZ. 24 point advantage at halftime and the Wildcats just could not get by the Stanford tall trees. 6'4" freshman Cameron Brink will be a longterm problem for the PAC-12.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Based on the score that was a beat-down. That should solidify their number 1 position. We need somebody in the Pac 12 that can give them a loss. I at least thought this game would be closer. Still have some hope for Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA.

Oregon is your best bet!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Still have some hope for Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA.

Not this year for OSU. They are heading for a bottom half of the conference finish, if they ever resume playing again (on a Covid pause currently).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well, so far I like 2021 much better than 2020!

2021.jpg

Reaction Score
Stanford looked pretty good on both ends of the floor and Haley Jones....OMG!! She is scary good.

Reaction Score
I mentioned in another thread that Stanford and UConn may be alone on the top tier. We’ll know a lot more in one week when UConn will have played Oregon and UConn will have played Baylor.

Reaction Score
Stamford is very, very good. I watched some of the game thanks to Xfinity giving me the Pac12 network, but not SNY.. Stamford has a girl who can dunk(at least 1) and a very good player named Haley Jones.. has anyone heard of her ??

Today they would have beaten us by 20

Reaction Score
We need to stop putting too much emphasis on a one game result. One game does not mean that the loser is not capable of beating the winner under the right conditions. But is does establish the level of the winner. Stanford is clearly a better team than Arizona based on depth. That depth is not just their bench, but they have more talent at all the positions. Arizona can not match their post skill positions. Bad shooting nights expose a teams potential lack of depth.

There are enough talented teams in the Pac 12 that are capable of knocking off Stanford when all their stars align. However, depth creates more consistency and that is what elivates Stanford above the other teams. I believe their beggest challenge will be Oregon and that is because they also have a roster with depth at every position.

I believe that more games outcomes will be decided by matchups and timing than at any other time in the past.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We need to stop putting too much emphasis on a one game result. One game does not mean that the loser is not capable of beating the winner under the right conditions. But is does establish the level of the winner. Stanford is clearly a better team than Arizona based on depth. That depth is not just their bench, but they have more talent at all the positions. Arizona can not match their post skill positions. Bad shooting nights expose a teams potential lack of depth.

There are enough talented teams in the Pac 12 that are capable of knocking off Stanford when all their stars align. However, depth creates more consistency and that is what elivates Stanford above the other teams. I believe their beggest challenge will be Oregon and that is because they also have a roster with depth at every position.

I believe that more games outcomes will be decided by matchups and timing than at any other time in the past.

Well said. What you said is pretty much par what Coach Barnes said during her post game conference. She gave props to Stanford and complimented them on their game, the hard work they displayed, their talent level, and the bad shooting night by her Arizona players. But she talked about how there will be teams in the Pac 12 that can match Stanford level of play. That Pac 12 is going to be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
As I said before, those of us from PAC-12 schools knew Arizona was vastly overrated. After they very narrowly escaped Colorado after being outplayed thanks to 12 missed free throws by CU, this beat down by Stanford should send them tumbling in ratings. I figured preseason they would be lucky to be 15th.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As I said before, those of us from PAC-12 schools knew Arizona was vastly overrated. After they very narrowly escaped Colorado after being outplayed thanks to 12 missed free throws by CU, this beat down by Stanford should send them tumbling in ratings. I figured preseason they would be lucky to be 15th.
Based on how the polls work, they may not even fall out of the top 10. Keep in mind the teams behind them are playing other highly ranked teams (Kentucky vs. Miss State, Oregon vs. UCLA). In fairness, in spite of the close win against Colorado, Arizona already beat UCLA. They do play again, and I'd not be surprised to see UCLA win. They also play Oregon and Stanford a 2nd time but they might end the season with only 2 or 3 losses.

Would love to see them in UCONN's bracket as a 3-4 seed though. With so many games cancelled and postponed, the win over UCLA will be a big boost come tourney seeding time...

Reaction Score
I would be surprised to see them drop more than 5 places. Probably 9-11 is where they’ll wind up.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This may be one of Tara’s better teams. Stanford is going to be a real tough out come tournament time. I don’t see them losing to a non top 5-6 team, unless a team catches them at the right time when they have an off day offensively. They haven’t lost so far, and may not the remainder of the year.

If they get beat, it won’t be at home. I think Oregon has the best chance of beating them. This may be Stanford’s year.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Stanford looks strong...could be a very tough out. They have a lot of pieces and can score in a lot of ways. I think Stanford will give this year's version of UConn Huskies some problems. Oregon similarly looks good, they score in a lot of ways and defensively look strong. They get up the floor in a hurry and they find the open shooters. I really like North Carolina State but we will see if they can hang on once they start playing better teams. Another good team is Louisville. This year I believe it is: UConn, Stanford, Baylor, Oregon, North Carolina State, Louisville and everyone else. We will learn a lot about the Huskies after Thursday night's game with Baylor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stanford looks strong...could be a very tough out. They have a lot of pieces and can score in a lot of ways. I think Stanford will give this year's version of UConn Huskies some problems. Oregon similarly looks good, they score in a lot of ways and defensively look strong. They get up the floor in a hurry and they find the open shooters. Another good team is North Carolina State. This year I believe it is: UConn, Stanford, Baylor, Oregon, North Carolina State and everyone else. We will learn a lot about the Huskies after Thursday night's game with Baylor.
How come no S. Carolina on your list? I think they will belong by mid season... whenever that is?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom