#1 rated 2021 recruit, 7'-1" Chet Holmgren just chose.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#1 rated 2021 recruit, 7'-1" Chet Holmgren just chose....

Reaction Score
Get u r condiments ready, u r eating this one. Is that prediction based on how frail he looks, have u seen him play??
Super well rounded talent

Yeah it's based entirely on watching him play. He is a great prospect and skilled for a guy that big. I just don't think he's going to be replicating his high school mixtapes at the college level. Guys are bigger and stronger. He is exceptionally skinny. I don't think his ball handling is really all that remarkable, and he's not going to get a ton of room to operate. So I think he'll be a good player but his output is going to be underwhelming relative to expectations. Just one person's opinion.

Reaction Score
So conference didn't matter.
Conference doesn't matter if you've made it to 20+ straight NCAA tournaments and 2 championship games in the last 4 tournaments with a hall of fame coach, right.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I've never posted about Clingan being "dominate" [sic] so I assume you weren't referring to me.
It was a more shot generally not directly at you persay

Reaction Score
He is the #1 recruit in the country,
Regardless of class!!??
Rest my case:)
Yeah it's based entirely on watching him play. He is a great prospect and skilled for a guy that big. I just don't think he's going to be replicating his high school mixtapes at the college level. Guys are bigger and stronger. He is exceptionally skinny. I don't think his ball handling is really all that remarkable, and he's not going to get a ton of room to operate. So I think he'll be a good player but his output is going to be underwhelming relative to expectations. Just one person's opinion.

Reaction Score
Other than Uconn, Gonzaga is the only team that I would watch and root for.

Reaction Score
Put a big body on him, lever him and drive him out of the paint and off the glass. 195 isn’t getting it done. But, they will put 60 pound on him in 2 years.

Reaction Score
He was impressive when he played against Emoni Bates. Gonzaga will still be good next year so he won't be asked to shoulder too much of the load. He's not going to have a huge statistical season but he should show flashes. The big thing is he can stroke it and play outside at 7'1. He should compliment Timme nicely.

Reaction Score
Good luck being physical with this guy when he faces up from the 3 point line and Giannis-strides right by your center and dunks it from outside the circle.
Yeah, no doubt he’ll have some challenges from more physical players but it’s going to be tough (impossible) to find a player that is both tall enough to match up with him and athletic enough to stay in front of him.

Reaction Score
I disagree. He will be able to shoot catch and shoot 3s with Sallis on the court and he can drive by bigger guys and take it to the hole with spacing. He’s 190, if he gains 20-30 lbs it’ll be enough for him to absorb contact moving forward. He and everyone else around him knows that he needs to put on weight. I’m really rooting for this kid, I love his game.

Reaction Score
Good luck being physical with this guy when he faces up from the 3 point line and Giannis-strides right by your center and dunks it from outside the circle.

I assume teams are going to put smaller players on him and try to take away his space, much like how teams defended Porzingis early in his career. Put a 6'6" guy on him who's stronger and quicker and can get right up underneath him.

I don't know that Holmgren's ability to put it on the floor is there yet. On some drives he looks a bit slow and lumbering and upright--to me looks less agile than Poku, who's only five months older. His handle is still pretty loose in general, though advanced for a 7'1" guy. The potential is there but I'm not sure he'll be blowing by DI guys with regularity. Big men are so incredibly difficult to scout and project how productive they'll be in college. Drummond's HS mixtape made him look like Magic Johnson in transition. Gonzaga will probably see a ton of zone in conference play too.

Reaction Score
I disagree. He will be able to shoot catch and shoot 3s with Sallis on the court and he can drive by bigger guys and take it to the hole with spacing. He’s 190, if he gains 20-30 lbs it’ll be enough for him to absorb contact moving forward. He and everyone else around him knows that he needs to put on weight. I’m really rooting for this kid, I love his game.
His balance is also phenomenal. He's very slight but he seems to have a great ability to play through contact and finish. There's going to be games where this guy puts half the opposing team in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, I disagree. This is what they said about KD coming out of high school. He was kinda good at UT, no? Chet is going to be like watching Dirk on the college level. He can score in every single possible way and is a matchup nightmare for every team. Put a big on him to try and bully him out of the post, he'll pull that post player out towards the 3 point line and destroy him off the dribble or shoot it. Put a wing on him and Chet takes him within 15 feet of the basket and it's over because he can shoot over them. In my opinion he's better than Emoni Bates but Emoni is just a junior. I'd take either on my team obviously but these type of guys are generational type players.

Reaction Score
Who do they have guard wise? All 4 of their guards from this past season are gone??

edit: I guess Nembhard is a junior. Thought he was a senior.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, I disagree. This is what they said about KD coming out of high school.

What who said about Durant? Not me. I'm glad you mentioned him because KD had pretty much exactly the freshman year that I don't expect Holmgren to have. And if you gave me a choice I'd take Bates 10 times out of 10.

But we'll see.

Reaction Score
What who said about Durant? Not me. I'm glad you mentioned him because KD had pretty much exactly the freshman year that I don't expect Holmgren to have.
That's fine about Emoni because I think he's going to be a stud in the NBA some day as well. Chet's playing against the best competition in the nation at the HS level and is dominating. He went head to head with Emoni and got the best of him. Not my opinion but facts. What are you basing your analysis/opinion of Chet on exactly? Because he's skinny? People forget that the NBA is the softest it's ever been and players no longer have to take out a life insurance policy when driving the lane because James Harden and the like have won scoring titles by shooting 15 free throws per game and three point shooting is now king.

This stuff doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it's fun to hear differences of opinion. For frame of reference, I've worked the national AAU circuit for a number of years back in the day and evaluating top tier HS bball talent is always a good time.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, I disagree. This is what they said about KD coming out of high school. He was kinda good at UT, no? Chet is going to be like watching Dirk on the college level. He can score in every single possible way and is a matchup nightmare for every team. Put a big on him to try and bully him out of the post, he'll pull that post player out towards the 3 point line and destroy him off the dribble or shoot it. Put a wing on him and Chet takes him within 15 feet of the basket and it's over because he can shoot over them. In my opinion he's better than Emoni Bates but Emoni is just a junior. I'd take either on my team obviously but these type of guys are generational type players.

KD's perimeter skills were far better at the same age. Chet has some great potential, but let's not forget KD is one of the greatest scorers the game has ever seen. He is the best college freshman I've ever seen.

Reaction Score

The day after he commits......

Edit: 2022 is far away and they will both have plenty of time to prove themselves, but I just thought the timing was funny

Reaction Score
Great so he only has to be as good as Kevin Durant and you’ll be correct

Reaction Score
What who said about Durant? Not me. I'm glad you mentioned him because KD had pretty much exactly the freshman year that I don't expect Holmgren to have. And if you gave me a choice I'd take Bates 10 times out of 10.

But we'll see.

Seems to that the consensus on Emoni is that he's on another level, even as a potential #1 pick. Chet/Paulo etc. are worthy consideration as the #1 in their class and obviously really good. But kind of like LeBron, Emoni is just clearly a transcendent talent. Idk if he's an instant all-star like LBJ, but once the kid gets his weight up, he's going to be unbelievable

Edit: according to this article he might even reclass to 2021? Had no idea

Reaction Score
That's fine about Emoni because I think he's going to be a stud in the NBA some day as well. Chet's playing against the best competition in the nation at the HS level and is dominating. He went head to head with Emoni and got the best of him. Not my opinion but facts. What are you basing your analysis/opinion of Chet on exactly? Because he's skinny? People forget that the NBA is the softest it's ever been and players no longer have to take out a life insurance policy when driving the lane because James Harden and the like have won scoring titles by shooting 15 free throws per game and three point shooting is now king.

This stuff doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it's fun to hear differences of opinion. For frame of reference, I've worked the national AAU circuit for a number of years back in the day and evaluating top tier HS bball talent is always a good time.

I saw them play. His team won. I wouldn't say he "got the best" of Emoni Bates because they didn't really play heads up and Bates also scored 36.

But more to the point, I don't know why you're talking about the NBA. I've never said anything about the kind of NBA career he's going to have. I said he's going to have an underwhelming year at Gonzaga relative to the expectations people are throwing around. If anything, he's going to have more of an opportunity to show off his versatility in the NBA than he will on a college court. In college he's going to have a lot less space to operate, teams can throw a bunch of guys at him, and I just don't see him ISO-ing college wings. He's not nearly as skilled offensively as KD was.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom