1-30-21 Saturday Viewing and Discussion Guide | The Boneyard

1-30-21 Saturday Viewing and Discussion Guide

Reaction Score
Enjoy!

Noon:
#9 Alabama @ #24 Oklahoma - ESPN2: Two very hot teams who are trending up. Despite playing at the 10th fastest tempo in the NCAA, Alabama is top-15 both defensively and offensively. Between Petty/Shackelford/Quinerly, they have the backcourt firepower to do big things in the tourney. Did Oklahoma beat Kansas? After missing two games with a non-Covid lung infection, Brady Manek has not been the same.

Providence @ Georgetown - FS1: Georgetown’s first game since January 9th and they haven’t won since December 13th. Providence has had one win in 2021…let’s just say both teams need a win. Go Hoyas.

Clemson @ Duke - ESPN: Speaking of two teams who need a win…Go Tigers. After three-game skids, Clemson beat Louisville and Duke beat Georgia Tech earlier this week. Another win for both could bring each the team to return back to the rankings.

Texas A&M @ Kansas State - ESPNU: Local Alert: Ellington’s Mike McGuirl, PSA’s Hassan Diarra, Quinnipiac’s Kevin Marfo.

1 PM:
La Salle @ VCU - NBCSN: Two of the toughest and most physical teams in the A-10. I’m personally rooting for Ashley Howard and his attempt to rebuild and restore the history of La Salle basketball. Along with acquiring Indiana transfer Clinton Moore, Howard has signed six ranked 247 prospects between the ’19 and ’20 classes. Freshman lead guard Jhamir Brickus is not only the highest ranked (#292, ’20), but also scored more points at Coatesville Area than Rip Hamilton.

2 PM:
#10 Texas Tech @ LSU - ESPN2: Nice opportunity for Texas Tech to build momentum against one of the better teams in the SEC. Would love to see how Texas Tech’s D matchups up to Cam Thomas (22.1p) and especially Trendon Watford (18.3 p) since Tech plays rather small. McClung has been a blast to watch in Lubbock.

Florida @ #11 West Virginia - ESPN: Winners of three straight, a win for Florida could put them back in the top-25. Florida is balanced, with five scorers in double-digits. West Virginia’s best offense is their ability to get offensive boards and they are poised to dominate on that end with Florida ranked 291st nationally at preventing offensive boards.

St. Bonaventure @ Davidson - CBSSN: Currently #1 vs #2 in the A-10. Davidson senior Kellan Grady is one of the best mid-major guards (17.4p, 5r, 40 3p%) while the Bonnies’ junior big Osun Osunniyi is a double-double threat every game (9.7p, 9r) and a major rim protector (2.2 blocks).

3 PM:
#3 Villanova @ Seton Hall - Fox: Seton Hall lost close games to both Nova and Creighton and would love to finish the week with a win. Seton Hall’s guards and wings are big, so I’m curious how they match up both offensively and defensively against Nova round 2.

4 PM:
Auburn @ # 2 Baylor - ESPN: Very excited for this game. Auburn is 5-1 with Sharife Cooper (22.3p, 5r, 8.7a) including a win vs #12 Missouri on Tuesday. Nice test for Baylor’s D.

#16 Florida State @ Georgia Tech - ACC Network: Florida State has one five straight but Georgia Tech has their best offensive squad since 2016.

Rhode Island @ Dayton - CBSSN: Two middle of the pack A-10 teams. Freshman Finn Mustapha Amzil has been a great addition with Chase Johnson leaving the program.

5 PM:
Toledo @ Bowling Green - ESPN+: Two of the better MAC teams and each team has their own star. Toledo is currently the top team in the MAC and Marreon Jackson is their senior leader averaging 17p, 4.2r, 5.6a, 2.1 steals while Bowling Green is 3rd in the MAC, led by Justin Turner (20.5p, 4.2r, 5.1a, 1.3s) who spurned power conference opportunities to finish his career at Bowling Green. Hat tip to him.

5:30 PM:
Xavier @ Butler - FS1: Would love Xavier to keep winning out to give them a shot to make the tourney.

Oregon @ USC - FOX: USC has been better than I expected. Evan Mobley is so refined and West Haven’s Tahj Eaddy is their surprise 2nd leading scorer with 12.5 ppg.

6 PM:
#15 Kansas @ #18 Tennessee - ESPN: Two teams on a bit of a tailspin. Kansas has lost 3 out of 4 while Tennessee has lost their last two. Big opportunity for both teams to get a statement win to get back on track.

#8 Virginia @ #20 Virginia Tech - ACC Network: With Tyrese Radford suspended indefinitely, two former Wofford commits Keve Aluma (13.9 ppg) and Hunter Cattoor (8.3 ppg) to rise up. With their only losses to San Francisco and Gonzaga, Virginia is heating up winning their last 7.

7:30:
#21 Minnesota @ Purdue - Big Ten Network: I really like this Purdue team and they’ve won three of their last four. As Eric Hunter continues to get healthy, watch out. Trevion Williams might be one of the most fundamentally sound true big men in the country.

8 PM:
#1 Gonzaga @ Pepperdine - ESPN2: Projected as one of the better teams in the WCC, Pepperdine has had a so-so 7-7 start to the season. However, 6’8 Kessler Edwards and senior guard Colbey Ross are one of the better one-two punches in the WCC.

#17 Creighton @ DePaul - FS1: As long as Charlie Moore and Javon Freeman-Liberty put up bricks, DePaul will keep losing. Talented, but easily the least efficient backcourt in the Big East.

8:30:
Belmont @ Murray State - ESPN+: Murray State has surprisingly been 4-5 in conference play this year, but they are better than their record. Belmont is undefeated in conference play and play FIVE double digit scorers.

9 PM:
New Mexico State @ Grand Canyon - ESPN3: Grand Canyon is currently the top team in the WAC but WAC juggernaut New Mexico State just started conference play today and have played only TWO D1 games this season. Despite their lack of competition (at most, they’ll play 11 D1 games this year), I guarantee NO ONE wants to play the Aggies if they make the tourney and Utah transfer Donnie Tillman is a big reason why.

10 PM:
Stanford @ Arizona State - ESPN2: I’m shocked how poorly the Fightin’ Hurleys have played. North Granby’s Jaiden Delaire had a big game against Arizona on Thursday, scoring 21.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Enjoy!

Noon:
#9 Alabama @ #24 Oklahoma - ESPN2: Two very hot teams who are trending up. Despite playing at the 10th fastest tempo in the NCAA, Alabama is top-15 both defensively and offensively. Between Petty/Shackelford/Quinerly, they have the backcourt firepower to do big things in the tourney. Did Oklahoma beat Kansas? After missing two games with a non-Covid lung infection, Brady Manek has not been the same.

Providence @ Georgetown - FS1: Georgetown’s first game since January 9th and they haven’t won since December 13th. Providence has had one win in 2021…let’s just say both teams need a win. Go Hoyas.

Clemson @ Duke - ESPN: Speaking of two teams who need a win…Go Tigers. After three-game skids, Clemson beat Louisville and Duke beat Georgia Tech earlier this week. Another win for both could bring each the team to return back to the rankings.

Texas A&M @ Kansas State - ESPNU: Local Alert: Ellington’s Mike McGuirl, PSA’s Hassan Diarra, Quinnipiac’s Kevin Marfo.

1 PM:
La Salle @ VCU - NBCSN: Two of the toughest and most physical teams in the A-10. I’m personally rooting for Ashley Howard and his attempt to rebuild and restore the history of La Salle basketball. Along with acquiring Indiana transfer Clinton Moore, Howard has signed six ranked 247 prospects between the ’19 and ’20 classes. Freshman lead guard Jhamir Brickus is not only the highest ranked (#292, ’20), but also scored more points at Coatesville Area than Rip Hamilton.

2 PM:
#10 Texas Tech @ LSU - ESPN2: Nice opportunity for Texas Tech to build momentum against one of the better teams in the SEC. Would love to see how Texas Tech’s D matchups up to Cam Thomas (22.1p) and especially Trendon Watford (18.3 p) since Tech plays rather small. McClung has been a blast to watch in Lubbock.

Florida @ #11 West Virginia - ESPN: Winners of three straight, a win for Florida could put them back in the top-25. Florida is balanced, with five scorers in double-digits. West Virginia’s best offense is their ability to get offensive boards and they are poised to dominate on that end with Florida ranked 291st nationally at preventing offensive boards.

St. Bonaventure @ Davidson - CBSSN: Currently #1 vs #2 in the A-10. Davidson senior Kellan Grady is one of the best mid-major guards (17.4p, 5r, 40 3p%) while the Bonnies’ junior big Osun Osunniyi is a double-double threat every game (9.7p, 9r) and a major rim protector (2.2 blocks).

3 PM:
#3 Villanova @ Seton Hall - Fox: Seton Hall lost close games to both Nova and Creighton and would love to finish the week with a win. Seton Hall’s guards and wings are big, so I’m curious how they match up both offensively and defensively against Nova round 2.

4 PM:
Auburn @ # 2 Baylor - ESPN: Very excited for this game. Auburn is 5-1 with Sharife Cooper (22.3p, 5r, 8.7a) including a win vs #12 Missouri on Tuesday. Nice test for Baylor’s D.

#16 Florida State @ Georgia Tech - ACC Network: Florida State has one five straight but Georgia Tech has their best offensive squad since 2016.

Rhode Island @ Dayton - CBSSN: Two middle of the pack A-10 teams. Freshman Finn Mustapha Amzil has been a great addition with Chase Johnson leaving the program.

5 PM:
Toledo @ Bowling Green - ESPN+: Two of the better MAC teams and each team has their own star. Toledo is currently the top team in the MAC and Marreon Jackson is their senior leader averaging 17p, 4.2r, 5.6a, 2.1 steals while Bowling Green is 3rd in the MAC, led by Justin Turner (20.5p, 4.2r, 5.1a, 1.3s) who spurned power conference opportunities to finish his career at Bowling Green. Hat tip to him.

5:30 PM:
Xavier @ Butler - FS1: Would love Xavier to keep winning out to give them a shot to make the tourney.

Oregon @ USC - FOX: USC has been better than I expected. Evan Mobley is so refined and West Haven’s Tahj Eaddy is their surprise 2nd leading scorer with 12.5 ppg.

6 PM:
#15 Kansas @ #18 Tennessee - ESPN: Two teams on a bit of a tailspin. Kansas has lost 3 out of 4 while Tennessee has lost their last two. Big opportunity for both teams to get a statement win to get back on track.

#8 Virginia @ #20 Virginia Tech - ACC Network: With Tyrese Radford suspended indefinitely, two former Wofford commits Keve Aluma (13.9 ppg) and Hunter Cattoor (8.3 ppg) to rise up. With their only losses to San Francisco and Gonzaga, Virginia is heating up winning their last 7.

7:30:
#21 Minnesota @ Purdue - Big Ten Network: I really like this Purdue team and they’ve won three of their last four. As Eric Hunter continues to get healthy, watch out. Trevion Williams might be one of the most fundamentally sound true big men in the country.

8 PM:
#1 Gonzaga @ Pepperdine - ESPN2: Projected as one of the better teams in the WCC, Pepperdine has had a so-so 7-7 start to the season. However, 6’8 Kessler Edwards and senior guard Colbey Ross are one of the better one-two punches in the WCC.

#17 Creighton @ DePaul - FS1: As long as Charlie Moore and Javon Freeman-Liberty put up bricks, DePaul will keep losing. Talented, but easily the least efficient backcourt in the Big East.

8:30:
Belmont @ Murray State - ESPN+: Murray State has surprisingly been 4-5 in conference play this year, but they are better than their record. Belmont is undefeated in conference play and play FIVE double digit scorers.

9 PM:
New Mexico State @ Grand Canyon - ESPN3: Grand Canyon is currently the top team in the WAC but WAC juggernaut New Mexico State just started conference play today and have played only TWO D1 games this season. Despite their lack of competition (at most, they’ll play 11 D1 games this year), I guarantee NO ONE wants to play the Aggies if they make the tourney and Utah transfer Donnie Tillman is a big reason why.

10 PM:
Stanford @ Arizona State - ESPN2: I’m shocked how poorly the Fightin’ Hurleys have played. North Granby’s Jaiden Delaire had a big game against Arizona on Thursday, scoring 21.
Once again, thank you.
Whether I consult it or not, it's truly an act of service.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Once again, thank you.
Whether I consult it or not, it's truly an act of service.
So why's the "whether I consult it or not" necessary? I'm honestly curious.

Reaction Score
Decent game on FS1 right now. Iowa at Illinois. Figured I’d give it some eyeballs since freescooter says nobody watches college basketball on FS1.
Both Garza and Ayo are playing lights out. Those these rivalry games when the stars are playing top-notch.

Reaction Score
Couple of network mistakes on the top post. Oregon/USC was postponed days ago. Providence at Georgetown is on CBS. Creighton at DePaul is on CBSSN.

Reaction Score
Providence @ Georgetown, 1:00, CBS - Ian Eagle, Clark Kellogg
Line: Providence -2.5/141

3 Villanova @ Seton Hall, 3:00, FOX - Tim Brando, Donny Marshall
Line: Villanova -4/142.5

Xavier @ Butler, 5:30, FS1 - Alex Faust, Casey Jacobsen
Line: Xavier-1.5/132.5

17 Creighton @ DePaul, 8:00, CBSSN - Andrew Catalon, Steve Lappas
Line: Creighton -10/149

Reaction Score
Decent game on FS1 right now. Iowa at Illinois. Figured I’d give it some eyeballs since freescooter says nobody watches college basketball on FS1.
Plus, a good Mountain West Conference game to follow in Boise State at Colorado State on FS1.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So why's the "whether I consult it or not" necessary? I'm honestly curious.
It wasn't necessary.
It was a choice.

I wanted to offer an appreciation, a compliment, and an concluding opinion toward @Hey Adrien!, while also implying a recommendation for others. As a tool to meet my aim, I initially wrote in the first person about myself, and then in the third person to widen the scope to more include and benefit others.

For context, this is the first season since 2014 that I have taken any appreciable interest in teams or conferences beyond UConn. It's also the first year since longer than that period that I've had so much available time to draw from so many home entertainment options. Pandemic, I'm looking at you.

@Hey Adrien! 's posts give me the teams, the times, and the channel in a handy accessible form. The brief additional information is nothing less than net positive.

Here' s an exampIe: IIRC, this afternoon I read that Alabama is ranked in the Top 25 and rates highly in both Offense and Defense. That alone gives me a heads up that Nate Oats is doing well in his 'not totally new' job and is likely continue to show up as a good coach as he was he was at Buffalo. But, tbh, I've never even seen him. The only other things I know about Alabama are that a trio of players was mentioned today, and that didn't include Jordan Bruner who is a grad transfer I saw last year playing for Yale against Princeton. If I'm not doing anything else, I might watch.

In simplest terms, I trust that hey adrien knows more than I do, and unless or until I actually watch enough more games and learn more about the larger landscape than the schedules, scores, stats, rosters, standings, and such that are available to me in the Yahoo Sports app, and supplemented by additional searches on an ad hoc basis, that's way more than good enough for me.

And so, in addition to my considering these efforts an act of service simply because they have been assembled and shared wiith me , I'm pretty confident that many Yarders, whether casual or not, would agree.

I'm going to guess that a Saturday will come when I watch several consecutive games. Hey, I've done it before. It probably won't he tomorrow, but it might me, and if so, I'll be ready.

Reaction Score
Just finished watching the 2nd half. One of the best games I've watched this year. Their hatred and rivalry got me to watch the game, but this was A+ exciting basketball for the full 40 minutes.

Nowadays, it's rare to see two true, elite bigs battle it out and Kofi vs Garza was a ton of fun to watch. They fight so hard, but you can tell they respect each other so much. Another excellent game from Ayo Dosunmu, one of the elite bucket-getters in the country and the #1 reason Illini fans should have hope in the tournament.

The player who surprised/impressed me the most was Illinois freshman point guard Andre Curbelo. Silky smooth passer like Steve Nash, elite dribbler and ability to get to the basket like Kyrie and a tenaciousness and relentless energy like Kemba. He's a valuable player now, but will get the keys to the offense in 21-22. Played last year at Long Island Lutheran with OSU's Zed Key and this year they graduate two of St. John's '21 commits (wing Rafael Pinzon and power forward Drissa Traore).

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I put a stack on Tulsa -3 @ ECU on ESPN+ at noon. So that’s the entertainment I’ll need for today.

Reaction Score
Very surprised and impressed how Kruger adjusted his Oklahoma squad despite their best scorer (Austin Reeves) and starting wing (Aldones Williams) out for tracing protocols: slow down the pace and "out-physical" Alabama.

For Oklahoma that's now three straight wins against top-10 teams (Kansas, Texas, Alabama).

Reaction Score

Could be bad for Hall if he’s out for more than a week. Seton hall only went 8 deep today and the only other PG played was Aiken. Could be trouble

Reaction Score

Could be bad for Hall if he’s out for more than a week. Seton hall only went 8 deep today and the only other PG played was Aiken. Could be trouble

Well he’s playing so forget about that

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
2021 MS Valley may be the worst D1 team ever. Every game has been a blowout. KenPom has them ranked dead last in both offense and defense. Their adjem is a ridiculous -41.57, the next closest team is -29 lol. How is a D1 team this bad? Does anyone know what the deal is with them?

4925C1D6-42AA-4607-8566-3D7C0C638346.jpeg

Reaction Score
Four surprisingly big blowouts:

#18 Tennessee over #15 Kansas 80-61: Tennessee was on fire, shooting 53 fg% and 61% from 3. Senior wing Yves Pons, who's known more for his defense than scoring, was 7-9 including 2-2 from 3, scoring 17 points.

#20 Virginia Tech over #8 Virginia 65-51: In their first game without suspended Tyrese Radford, Mike Young's Wofford ex-pats (junior big Keve Aluma scoring 29 and sophomore shooting guard Hunter Cattoor scoring 15) led the way.

It just blows my mind how well Mike Young has done in such a short time and he's done it without Kansas State transfer Cartier Diarra (covid opt-out) or relying on either of his two top-100 commits form the '20 haul (but the player ranked #411 is getting the most PT).

Just amazes me how he plays the players he trusts, rather than the players people think he should necessarily plays. So glad Mike Young is getting his shot at a P5 school.

Georgia Tech over #16 Florida State: Tech led for the last 25 minutes of the game. While Georgia Tech isn't deep, their top three of wing Michael Devoe, point Jose Alvarado and big Moses Wright average 49 ppg and scored 63 last night.

Purdue over #21 Minnesota 81-62: Career game for redshirt freshman wing Brandon Newman: 29 points, 5 threes, 6 boards, 2 steals. A very deep team I expect to slowly move their way towards the top of the Big Ten come March.

Consolation to Grand Canyon sweeping a two-game series against New Mexico State by a combined 18 points. At 12-3 overall and undefeated in six WAC games Bryce Drew's squad is poised to make the tourney in his first year at the helm replacing Thunder Dan. With their impressive budget thanks to being Jerry Colangelo's pet project, Grand Canyon is a mid-major sleeping giant and I can see them rising the ranks soon to a much better league (MWC along with NMSU?).

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom