1/1/23: Looking for answers to turnover issue following win over Marquette | The Boneyard

1/1/23: Looking for answers to turnover issue following win over Marquette

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"Turnovers have been an issue for the Huskies throughout this season. They are averaging 17.4 per game, the worse mark for any team in program history per online records that go back to the turn of the century. That average also ranks 231st of 361 Division I teams, per Her Hoop Stats."

Reaction Score
"Turnovers have been an issue for the Huskies throughout this season. They are averaging 17.4 per game, the worse mark for any team in program history per online records that go back to the turn of the century. That average also ranks 231st of 361 Division I teams, per Her Hoop Stats."
I'm starting to believe that this will not improve a great deal this year and that the better way to look at it....is to look at NET turnovers. Some teams, for many reasons which I'll dodge in the name of brevity, just have high turnovers. Sometimes it hurts them and sometimes it doesn't.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I'm starting to believe that this will not improve a great deal this year and that the better way to look at it....is to look at NET turnovers. Some teams, for many reasons which I'll dodge in the name of brevity, just have high turnovers. Sometimes it hurts them and sometimes it doesn't.
Correct. Sometimes turnovers lose the game and sometimes the opponent outplays ya.
Maryland loss: Terps 5 UCONN 22 MOV -7
Notre Dame loss: Irish 18 UCONN 15 MOV -14

1672605664652.png

1672605628414.png

Reaction Score
Some of the turnover issue is obviously players that are not used to playing much with each other as a unit and sometimes because of injuries playing out of their natural position. Another factor is clearly some of the players who have missed time were our relatively low turnover players. Both Paige and Azzi are low turnover players, as is Dorka for a big. They are also low on their rate of fouls so taking them out of the lineup impacts those two stats quite a bit, and one of our graduating players, CW was also quite low on turnovers and fouls as well.

Reaction Score
The turnovers are a result of asking too many players to do too much. Simple as that. Idk what the great mystery is. Once players who don’t usually have to carry so much of the load have some extra help, turnovers will go down.

Reaction Score
Some of the turnovers we suffer from are the result of ill-conceived passes into the paint, others result from stagnant play on offense (if no one’s moving, it’s too easy to anticipate passes), some are just goof-ups (like dribbling off one’s own foot) and some are steals that arise from bigs holding the ball too low. I’m not including charges and tie-ups in this list.

I think all of these turnovers can be reduced and expect they will be in the conference schedule. We will still have turnovers in March, but not this many. In our current situation, I think disrupted lineups is a contributing factor, and this will may not be a factor much longer. Fatigue is also a factor, not just physical fatigue but also emotional and mental fatigue. Players not moving on offense, and not moving to the ball, these are all signs of fatigue. But also seeking the “heroic” pass is a sign of fatigue. Come March, I don’t think fatigue will be an issue for us either.

Reaction Score
Definitely an area to work on and improve on.
Like others on this post, I see it as a symptom of something. My glass is half full on this.
The team for the most part has kept its flow and movement in the offense. I've complained years past about when the offense gets stagnant, without movement. I see this team looking to screen, cut, and hit the open man more consistently. I'd be interested in any stats on assists with this team, compared to others.
Be careful what you wish for. The opposite of this can be tentativeness. Unfortunately people learn from mistakes. The team on 1/1 is playing well and turning it over a ton.
Megan Culmo mentioned it in the Marquette game, they make good passes but not always at the right time, such as a pass to a post that is being double covered and/or a pass to a post with helpside D coming over. I think of a hockey assist, which is a pass leading to an assist. Having the defense move and the assist pass with an improved passing angle. (also a comment by Culmo)
Long story short (sorry, too late for that), to me, it's a heck of a lot better than standing around. Let 'em learn and keep making plays. It'll fix itself. These players are world class.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Correct. Sometimes turnovers lose the game and sometimes the opponent outplays ya.
Maryland loss: Terps 5 UCONN 22 MOV -7
Notre Dame loss: Irish 18 UCONN 15 MOV -14

View attachment 82598
View attachment 82597
So you take the only two losses that UConn has and use it, considering that in both losses there was no Dorka or Azzi, and in the Maryland loss there was no Nika. Yes, Azzi played for 13 minutes in the ND game, but was injured with about 2 minutes left in the 1st quarter and was ineffective for the other minutes she played in the 2nd quarter. In the Princeton game there were only 10 total T/O's prior to Nika going down with a little over 7 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. With no experienced PG in the game UConn ended up an additional 17 T/O's for a total of 27 which would mess up the average turnovers per game. The following game which was Maryland they had a total of 21 T/O's according to ESPN Box Score, which would also mess up the numbers due to no experienced PG. I believe that once Azzi comes back the T/O's will subside to between 10 and 15 a game, Azzi can play the PG role while Nika takes the bench for some rest while the game is still at hand. Ines can take over in the 4th quarter if the game is a blow out.

Reaction Score
Uconn was not going undefeated and even fans can’t have it both ways.
You want to push the ball, you want players to make plays; you will have turnovers. You want to play a read and react offense, you will have turnovers because they are basketball players not mind readers. You are forced to play starters mega minutes with different lineups because of injuries and with those injuries leaving a very short and largely inexperienced bench, you will have turnovers.
Not to mention, other teams are good with their own good players, capable of proving Uconn players are, perish the thought, human.
And yes, some of the turnovers are unforced but again, proving these are human beings playing, not robots programmed for perfection.
Uconn has had a terrific season playing shorthanded versus the most demanding schedule in the country and all the positive stats get ignored to focus ad nauseam on the one negative stat? It makes little to no sense to me.

Reaction Score
We seem to have at least 4-5 turnovers per game that are just silly passes. Clean that up and it shouldn’t be that bad. Last few years Liv had 2-3 travel calls per game. We don’t seem to have too many this year.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
No looking and then passing defenders seem the pass coming !!!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Uconn was not going undefeated and even fans can’t have it both ways.
You want to push the ball, you want players to make plays; you will have turnovers. You want to play a read and react offense, you will have turnovers because they are basketball players not mind readers. You are forced to play starters mega minutes with different lineups because of injuries and with those injuries leaving a very short and largely inexperienced bench, you will have turnovers.
Not to mention, other teams are good with their own good players, capable of proving Uconn players are, perish the thought, human.
And yes, some of the turnovers are unforced but again, proving these are human beings playing, not robots programmed for perfection.
Uconn has had a terrific season playing shorthanded versus the most demanding schedule in the country and all the positive stats get ignored to focus ad nauseam on the one negative stat? It makes little to no sense to me.
UConn has always pushed the ball, players have always made plays.

Never has UConn had a team with so many turnovers, most of which are the result of lazy, poorly executed, ill advised passes. This turnover stat is inexcusable and I would hope unacceptable to the coaching staff. As a fan I just watch and occasionally groan "stupid pass".

Reaction Score
UConn has always pushed the ball, players have always made plays.

Never has UConn had a team with so many turnovers, most of which are the result of lazy, poorly executed, ill advised passes. This turnover stat is inexcusable and I would hope unacceptable to the coaching staff. As a fan I just watch and occasionally groan "stupid pass".
I may be wrong but I don’t remember much, if any, discussion about TOs last year, so let’s look at some stats.
Last year Uconn averaged 14 TOs per game, this year with all the personnel volatility 17.5. Meanwhile they are shooting better overall, 52% to 47, and from 3, 41% to 34, while averaging more points per game, 81 to 74, this year than last. Those stats all while playing a harder overall schedule because they have not ”padded“ stats by playing many of the weaker conference teams yet.
So if think 3.5 assists a game more while shooting better and scoring more against tougher overall competition justifies an “inexcusable“ and “unacceptable“ reaction, respectfully, we just disagree. Me, I think it is very much, much ado about nothing.

Reaction Score
The turnover deniers who suggest “the issue will just go away“ when Azzi returns or that ”turnovers don’t really matter all that much” remind me of the iconic Alfred E. Neuman of Mad Magizine fame who’s life philosophy was “What, me worry?”
But 17 + turnovers a game are a serious problem because while you may still be able to win against good teams it will almost always be fatal against elite team.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
So you take the only two losses that UConn has and use it,
So you take the only two losses that UCONN has and use it.

I and lwrcasefaN were communicating about the effect of the number of turnovers relative to the opponents' number of turnovers. UCONN has two losses. In my opinion turnovers lost the game to Maryland (5 vs, 22). Maryland averages 1 point per an opponent's turnover. So if UCONN had 14 or fewer turnovers against the Terps, it is conceivable UCONN wins. Not to mention the points UCONN probably would have scored not having turned the ball over. I believe most of UCONN's turnovers are the result of ill conceived passes with a very high risk/reward ratio. So this example agreed with lwrcasefaN's “Sometimes it hurts them.”

UCONN had a large number of turnovers (15) against Notre Dame who had more turnovers (18). If UCONN had fewer turnovers the outcome would have still been a loss with a smaller MOV. In this case the extra three turnovers did not impair ND's effort. ND on that day was the better team excuses and rationalizations aside. So this example agreed with lwrcasefaN's “and sometimes it doesn't.”

This relaxing herbal tea starts with a blend of chamomile, spearmint and other soothing herbs with valerian for an especially calming cup. ;):rolleyes:
1672621046303.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it improves considerably when Azzi returns because you have the secondary ball handler then who is also with point guard skills so the second pass or even third pass is one from someone who knows the good pass from the risky or difficult pass. I honestly think that will make a dramatic difference. Also, if Azzi is open for the first pass, you won't need a second one.

Reaction Score
The turnover deniers who suggest “the issue will just go away“ when Azzi returns or that ”turnovers don’t really matter all that much” remind me of the iconic Alfred E. Neuman of Mad Magizine fame who’s life philosophy was “What, me worry?”
But 17 + turnovers a game are a serious problem because while you may still be able to win against good teams it will almost always be fatal against elite team.
What were the turnover numbers before Azzi got hurt? Seriously asking.

It’s obvious the turnovers are results of players having to do too much, more than they normally have to do. Bringing back the full
Roster will alleviate that. Common sense.

Reaction Score

I and lwrcasefaN were communicating about the effect of the number of turnovers relative to the opponents' number of turnovers. UCONN has two losses

I and lwrcasefaN were communicating about the effect of the number of turnovers relative to the opponents' number of turnovers. UCONN has two losses. In my opinion turnovers lost the game to Maryland (5 vs, 22). Maryland averages 1 point per an opponent's turnover. So if UCONN had 14 or fewer turnovers against the Terps, it is conceivable UCONN wins. Not to mention the points UCONN probably would have scored not having turned the ball over. I believe most of UCONN's turnovers are the result of ill conceived passes with a very high risk/reward ratio. So this example agreed with lwrcasefaN's “Sometimes it hurts them.”

UCONN had a large number of turnovers (15) against Notre Dame who had more turnovers (18). If UCONN had fewer turnovers the outcome would have still been a loss with a smaller MOV. In this case the extra three turnovers did not impair ND's effort. ND on that day was the better team excuses and rationalizations aside. So this example agreed with lwrcasefaN's “and sometimes it doesn't.”

This relaxing herbal tea starts with a blend of chamomile, spearmint and other soothing herbs with valerian for an especially calming cup. ;):rolleyes:
View attachment 82607

Well, any game, win or lose can be analyzed statistically, and IFs applied to the final score. I would submit the biggest factors in the loss to Maryland was no Muhl and Lopez- Senechal early foul trouble, limiting her to only 8 shots in the game. I am sure the Uconn plan was not to have Bettencourt play one more minute than Lopez-Senechal.
Looking deeper, Uconn was outscored by 11 in the 2nd quarter, won the other 3 quarters combined by 4; Uconn had 5 TOs in the 2nd qtr and 16 (an average of 5 per qtr) in the other 3. So did the 5 TOs play a deciding role in the 2nd qtr, but not in the other 3? Do TOs hurt a teams chances to win? Of course they do but so do a ton of other factors; rebounding, who’s hurt, who has an off day shooting, who gets in foul trouble, etc. etc. Looking at any one stat in any one game in a vacuum usually reveals very little of substance, not always, but usually. I would respectfully submit that is the case in the Maryland loss.

Reaction Score
The turnovers can be summed up with one word. Azzi.

With her on the floor, we have a second ball handler. Without her, it's only Nika, and that's just not going to cut it.

Reaction Score
With all the answers offered up by the BY, I'm at a loss as to why Geno/CD can't fix the problem.

Yes I'm kidding :)

Reaction Score
This is not just a singular issue. Teams that fast break as the Huskies do often get a few (emphasis on "few") turnovers - not always a major issue. On the other hand, the inability of several UConn players to set picks is one of the most frustrating problems since these also count as turnovers. We have several players, particularly the subs, that should likely be called every time they set a pick since they never stay in place and every game get multiple moving screen calls.

Reaction Score
I think one, a lot of our beloved Yard family have hit the nail on the head when they brought up the pace of the team. We are trying to be uptempo and when you do going uptempo, turnovers are going to happen. Two. We have to define the type of turnovers we are getting. Are getting a lot of travel calls? Are we throwing the ball out of bounds a lot? Are we getting a lot of three-second/five-second/ten-second violations? So, we have to break those turnovers down and then evaluate things from there. Are those turnovers forced or unforced? Third. Like someone stated, you have players that normally do not get a lot of minutes together, so they are adjusting and developing that chemistry. A great example was a game where Amari caught the ball at the high post, did a reverse pivot and threw a nice pass to a cutting player. I believe it was Lou. Amari did the same move a few players later and it was a different offensive player and that player's timing was off. Amari threw the ball away. Just a classic example of having that chemistry.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Most of the turnovers are passes. There will always be first step travel calls and the occasional moving screen but it is the bad passes that are frustrating to watch.
In the Marquette game UConn gave up 13 points off turnovers. Against Creighton it was 16. In the loss against MD they gave up 21. They are currently ranked 243rd in turnovers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom